Saturday Season-ing

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Twins' Mom

Re: Saturday Season-ing

Postby Twins' Mom » Sat May 16, 2020 4:13 pm

I've been out and about with dh in the convertible. It's a gorgeous day and not too hot so I enjoyed it. We met my favorite dcousin's dd and gave her a frozen lasagne for dcousin. She will see dcousin on Monday when dcousin has a dr appointment. They are worried about her possibly needing amputation of her foot. She is diabetic and was hospitalized for several days - in wheelchair or walker now. I'm worried about her.

Then we drove out to the S tampin up lady's house and picked up the new catalog off her porch. She also was giving away some beautiful designer paper - the colors in them are no longer current so she can't use them in her business. Each person at the last stamp club got to choose, but I didn't go so told her to choose for me. Thought I might not like what chose but it's beautiful! Some solid cardstock also - old colors. She lives pretty far out on a country road so it was a nice drive. We went through the area where the tornado came through and the road doesn't look the same at all. I lost the sense of where I was, and the trees down and houses damaged was sad.

Then we drove a bit, but ended up back at the grocery where we got a few things. I had taken my mask in case I needed it.

Cathy, I also slept until 9:30 this morning. I must be tired because on week mornings the clock goes off awhile before I can get up.

We're having grilled chicken with a mango salsa this evening, the meal I had planned for last evening except for the challah.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat May 16, 2020 4:27 pm

Twins', what a lovely description of your day, except for the tornado damage of course. Getting new creativity supplies - cool.

Dd21 trimmed my hair after I visited my colorist today. We have a system for trimming my hair that is so fast and efficient. This and many other things that can happen efficiently now may become awkward if we have to change living arrangements around as we move through this time.

The test came back negative - actually two negative tests that have two different names. If anyone finds this sort of thing interesting, we here are evidently testing for the Orf1 gene (human RNA polymerase protein) and the E-gene (envelope protein), but not for the N-gene (the nucleocapsid protein), which is tested elsewhere. I guess I haven't been brushing up on all this, because I didn't even know it would all be gene-based DNA testing. Antibodies testing would be a whole 'nother thing (blood droplet).

So today we start a new regimen of eyedrops and wipes. 10 things to remember a day, so I wrote out a schedule.

Dstepson and dd are cutting and sanding wood for projects. HRH is going to make pasta for supper. One of my tomato plants is unhappy and I can't figure why (interesting how this bothers me so much), but I have other seedlings so I can replace.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat May 16, 2020 5:09 pm

Glad the test came back negative, Harriet, although there really wasn't any doubt.

I got the fridge rearranged and found 1.5 litres of yogurt I didn't remember having! Thankfully the 2L I bought at Costco on Thursday are good until June 17. We might get quite close to that BB date. I need to switch back to yogurt from the muffins but the muffins are good for keeping me regular and also very (too) good at filling me up. I don't start looking for lunch until around 1:30. Today I ended up skipping it and just having cheese and crackers. Tonight's dinner is chicken stir fry and I'm looking forward to all the veggies in that.

I've tidied my taxes work station a bit. Just as I finished, dh came in and asked me to practice music. I said no because it seems like each time I settle down here, someone calls me away. I don't settle down here often but I have come over here at least 7 times in the last week and been distracted each time.

It will be time to start dinner soon. I'm hungry because I never had lunch.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Sat May 16, 2020 5:11 pm

Hello, villagers ~
Not a lot going on at my house. Waiting for a line of storms to roll in.

Last night for supper I made a chicken & veggie baked casserole with stuffing on top. DH is not particularly fond of that casserole, so today I made tostadas, which I know he loves. Bonus, we have guacamole and he thinks he could live on that stuff.

silent reading hour
Kathryn, I like that idea. That's the type of thing I've been trying to get through to DMom -- that when I go up to spend the day with her, I don't expect her to entertain me. I just want to hang out with her. We can watch tv or we can each read our own magazine or whatever. The point is just to be in the same room with each other.

I will pass on the idea of Silent Reading Hour to the children's librarian to see if we could set up something like that for some library patrons. There are some tricky copyright issues involved with trying to read a story aloud over a broadcast, but all ages could participate in an online silent reading room.

And now, to take advantage of the pun for Saturday Season-ing, I will post that this morning I made up a batch of seasoned salt using the recipe from Living on a Dime. I don't remember making it before so I hope it will be comparable to the name brand product, which is a lot more expensive than the ingredients.

I still need to run to the post office to pick up our mail, and sometime this weekend I need to write checks for the mid-month bills.
Tonight I want to watch a movie and sew shopping bags.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Sat May 16, 2020 5:14 pm

Here's a children's book question for y'all --
I cannot remember the name of this at all, but it was about a bunch of child detectives, and they went around solving mysteries in the neighborhood, and they used among themselves what they called a robber's code -- only when speaking, when written it was too obvious -- it was like this --
Lucylee would be 'Lol-u-coc-yoy-lol-ee" -- see what I mean?
It was a series of about three books in my middle school library. I'd love to read those again, but sadly, this is all I can recall. :cry:
Tomorrow is another day.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Sat May 16, 2020 5:57 pm

Lucylee, what a rabbit hole you've sent me down! :lol: I haven't found anything like the description you gave, but I've had a very good time looking at images of book covers that I remember very well from my school library. I'll keep looking for your kid detectives.

editing to add AHA! I think I found it!
Bill Bergson series by Astrid Lindgren - from Wikipedia:
Rövarspråket (English: The Robber Language) is a Swedish language game. It became popular after the books about Bill Bergson by Astrid Lindgren, where the children use it as a code, both at play and in solving actual crimes.

The formula for encoding is simple. Every consonant (spelling matters, not pronunciation) is doubled, and an o is inserted in-between. Vowels are left intact. It is quite possible to render the Rövarspråket version of an English word as well as a Swedish, e.g.:

sos-tot-u-bob-bob-o-ror-non or sostotubobboborornon

that syllable chain would mean stubborn. Needless to say, the code is not very useful in written form, but it can be tough when spoken by a trained (and thus quick) user. On the other hand, for an untrained speaker, a word or phrase can often be something of a tongue-twister or a shibboleth.

Today, the books (and subsequent films) are so well known in Sweden, and also in Norway, that the language is part of the culture of schoolchildren. Most Scandinavians are familiar with it.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sat May 16, 2020 7:26 pm

My guess on the kids books series about kids being detectives are....
** The Hardy Boys
** Emil and the detective
** Nancy Drew

Today's plans & accomplishments -
Done ** Health tracker
Done ** AM cards
Done ** One thing a day done well
Done ** Maintain the 8 previous One thing a day done well
Done ** Talk to Dmom for an hour (aka listen to Dmom talk)
Done ** Accidently discovered a much easier way to take Micro out to potty.
Done ** Plant strawberry roots that arrived in the mail.In progress
Done ** monitor DS11 daily accomplishment list
Done ** Play in the garden...No storm damage found!
Done ** Cronometer
Done ** Zoom meeting - This was a fun meeting and I enjoyed meeting and getting to know these 7 people.
Done ** Buy groceries. 4 kinds of deli meat & cheese are on a big sale today. Regular $8.99 a pound = sale price $2.99 a pound!
Done ** Went to two dollar type stores in next town over to get a few items that aren't available in the local grocery store.
Done ** Monitor DD8 daily accomplishment list
Done ** Fill daily vitamin containers for the next 30 days
Done ** Get well cards sent to Norma
In Progress ** Trim shrubs by front porch. I'm using hand branch cutters to take care of the bigger branches. I'll use the electric hedge trimmers another day when there isn't water (rain) on the ground. Electricity & water is not a good mixture.
** Keto tribe
** Active minutes
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat May 16, 2020 7:32 pm

Booksaver: that's a great idea and the kids could show and tell the book they read/had read to them and open it to a favourite page to show the others if it was a picture book.

Dinner is done. Dh is cleaning up.

I am going to return to the taxes. I've opened the program.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Sat May 16, 2020 9:05 pm

Wow! Booksaver — that’s got to be it!!! Somewhere in my mind, I was thinking it had something to do with Sweden or Switzerland, or something... but I could NOT remember!!!
I tell y’all, this group of ladies is amazing! Thank you!
Tomorrow is another day.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat May 16, 2020 9:48 pm

I've got the taxes half done.

We're going to bed now to avoid making any mistakes. Deductions are left, charity and medical which are long but not complicated. After that, I think we are done.

Return to “Post When You Can”