Tuesday Tunes

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Ramblinrose

Re: Tuesday Tunes

Postby Ramblinrose » Tue May 19, 2020 1:49 pm

Spent most of my morning making appointments and then calling my PA’s office to have them fax my results to my OB/gyn office with the ultra scan and results.

My appointment is at 10:00 am. This is a comprehensive center that actually does women procedures in their complex and more major ones at an other facility. I couldn’t get an appointment with my PA, but will see an actual OB/gyn Dr. Works for me.

Many of my teacher friends are working way more hours a week than I’d they were in the classroom. Problem is many students have siblings so need to share a computer or their parents are working from home and using the only computer at home. It’s a very complex situation for many students with no simple answers/

Some older students from 5 or 6th grade on are babysitting their siblings while their parents are at work. Special ed students have their own problems that some of my sped teachers have been struggling with. There are no easy answers.

Teachers in this state as well as AL are on a 9 month contract that are stretched over 12 months so in reality teachers are only paid for 180-192 days of the year. They do NOT get paid for T-day, Cmas, Spring breaks or any other day they are not required to be in the classroom.... and that includes summers.

Most people think we are on vacation during the summer when in reality we are unemployed without benefits. This is the reason teacher wants to work for summer school or have part time jobs during the summers.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue May 19, 2020 2:03 pm

LadyM: I was wrong, it is the III.

Harriet: so many people missed the opening sermon, they've posted a link that will work for the rest of the day. If you need me to PM you it, I will.

Ooops, back in session again! Last break I had enough time to pee!

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Tue May 19, 2020 2:53 pm

It’s a very complex situation for many students with no simple answers/
We would totally agree. Know dd is extending as much 'grace' as possible. Know she had told one teacher to lighten up who said he was giving a failing grade to anyone not checking in daily, etc. As you said some homes have no internet or possibly as many as 15 using one computer. It's definitely a time of many situations.

Will see what happens shortly -is dd taking car in for oil change or is dsonil? Hoping dsonil has figured out he really needs to do it. DD's having all sorts of problems with the internet as am I today. We know one problem is that so many people are using the internet that it degrades the signals in places. (Just figured out that 'airplane mode' kept coming on for some reason! Think I have it disabled now.)
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue May 19, 2020 2:54 pm

Between sessions again. This time I'll try and dig out the meat for dinner. I forgot to start a crock pot this morning so there will be changes, again, to the dinner plan.

Maybe I'll just get dh to do the cooking. That's a much better plan!

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Tue May 19, 2020 3:04 pm

Kathryn, DH suggested earlier that he make omelets for us tonight. We have veggies so they'll be loaded with mushrooms, onion and green bell peppers.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Tue May 19, 2020 4:22 pm

My theme song today will be similar to LadyMaverick's. Since she has Laurel & Hardy, I will take The Three Stooges. Turn the laugh tracks of both to max at the idea of overpaid teachers, what the phooey? The real question about those borderline students is not HOW to get them promoted to the next grade, but IF they should be promoted at all.

My connectivity today is also laughable. Things that worked yesterday refuse to work today, even though nothing has changed. I cannot connect to the eligibility cube database, which means I cannot test and debug (or even write without typos) the report query. Obviously I cannot make the cube updates either. Working on deploy now, a very long process allowing time to post. If that doesn't work, there is a way to process from Management Studio.

There is a pending request on another database, but I need to remote to computer 413, which will allow me to remote to 164. I don't have permissions to remote direct to 164. However, 413 is undergoing major updates and probably will not be available today at all. Maybe not tomorrow either, so the old pending stuff cannot be done either.

Got a message last night from a friend in the rescue community, the owner of the 3 cats I boarded for a few months is homeless again. And the hotel they were at threw out all their stuff (they probably have the legal right to do that if someone is not paying). They were able to retrieve the cats. She had a semi-stable arrangement where she was helping an older gentleman with cooking and cleaning in return for room and board. He is now in assisted living (I met him, it is not unreasonable for him to be there). I now have 3 fosters and the sewing room is my office and two of the cats like to accompany me while I work. I don't know what to do about this or even if I CAN do anything.

I am so grateful to live alone during all this covid. Everyone I know is having problems, some minor, some not so, with the people they live with. However, the other people I know who are living alone are getting even more desperate for relationships. The xBFF signed up for a paid dating site three weeks into the restrictions and thinks she might like someone from AZ, which would be ok if it weren't 8 hours away. The phrase "geographical unavailability" meant nothing to her. Then, she proceeded to tell me I MUST have some positive memories of my time with my x, because she does. Um ... no, all memories of that time are tainted now. Whenever my mind drifts in that direction, all I feel is revulsion and disgust, along with profound gratitude that I no longer have to live with him (especially now!).

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue May 19, 2020 4:52 pm

Today my theme song was "Jazz Baby" the Abbott and Costello theme song, reflecting a nerve-wracking trip to the distant hospital area and trying to find the hidden eye ear nose throat building. The bear in the car, as in their intro, was either me or HRH, depending upon which was more frustrated. The plane cockpit scene - why, yes, that was us, too.

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Tue May 19, 2020 6:27 pm

Curiousity is getting the better of me since reading a post by a famous chef on FBook last night.

Is there a meat shortage in the U.S.?
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Tue May 19, 2020 6:49 pm

I’m blank on songs today...

But I did love the blog you shared yesterday, Twins! Meant to say that earlier...

We both got haircuts today and then went to Next Town to eat. Talked to dmom, ddil, and ds on phone.

Just sitting around now, reading.
Tomorrow is another day.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Tue May 19, 2020 7:09 pm

Is there a meat shortage in the U.S.?

Not where I live. The stores are fully stocked with all variety of meat (pork, beef, chicken, fish, etc). One of my DNephews that lives 2 miles from me is currently raising multiple herds of cattle that have already been contracted by meat packers. These contracts are not for a small amount of livestock.....one of his contracts is for 15,000 head of cattle that will be delivered in August. Every detail is scheduled in advanced and he is excellent at knowing how much the livestock will weigh on a certain date with the way they are being fed (grass, feedlot, etc). There is a HUGE difference in the price the cattle are sold per lb by the rancher and the price the meat is sold from the store to the consumer. Some middle people are making a bundle. There are many people who buy directly from ranchers. You can buy the whole animal or half it with someone....or 4 people split it, etc.

I'm pleased with my effort today but I misjudged how much I could get done. OHsss Well.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Return to “Post When You Can”