THURSDAY - THOUGHTFULNESS

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
LadyMaverick

THURSDAY - THOUGHTFULNESS

Postby LadyMaverick » Thu May 21, 2020 8:17 am

The definition of thoughtful is someone who is pondering or someone that shows care or sympathy for others. When you are considering and thinking about a complex problem, this is an example of a situation where you are thoughtful.

Being thoughtful is a way of living life with love and appreciation for others.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

LadyMaverick

Re: THURSDAY - THOUGHTFULNESS

Postby LadyMaverick » Thu May 21, 2020 9:02 am

Such a small change is having HUGE benefits. This week I changed the way I give homeschool & crisis school assignments. Instead of giving the assignments each day to the kids, I switched to giving them 5 days of assignments. I made a spreadsheet that shows the date & the pages they are to do in each curriculum. This freedom to choose has motivated the kids like nothing else. They have both worked ahead as much as they can. We used to do school for a few hours but this week they are voluntarily doing school for many more hours in the first 2 days. They want to get their school work done ASAP so they can have the rest of their days free.

I don't know if everyone saw the CDC recommendations for schools that was released recently. It created a HUGE outcry from parents in my little corner of the world. If it is implemented I suspect it will be the end of public school. I have seen dozens of parents say they are pulling their kids out of public school and putting them into online charter schools. I suspect when many of the parents calm down and think it through they will change their mind. They will be giving up the "free babysitter" aspect of the public school along with the social, athletic, etc aspects.

21 SHE cards completed
1. Know what you want.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu May 21, 2020 9:40 am

School opening is contentious everywhere. The schools outside of Montreal, in the province of Quebec (including Gatineau, the city right across the river from me) have been open for almost 2 weeks now. It it time for me to see if infections are on the rise there. They were slightly lower than this city before they opened.

The situation in the province of Quebec is like that of New York State. Horrendous numbers in the the major city, Montreal, regular numbers in Quebec City, and low numbers in the rest of the province. They managed that by closing down movement inside the province, so non-essential travel within as well as in and out of the province was stopped.

In our city I would say the majority of the residents of Gatineau work in Ottawa but since our businesses were shut down, only some had to cross the border as essential workers but they had to go through roadblocks a lot of time. Large number of government offices are in Gatineau so those workers who live in Ottawa also would have had trouble crossing but the offices were closed. That restriction on the bridges has lifted now.

Their schools are open but only about 1/2 full and the rules are similar to the CDC including children must sit at their desk at all times (including lunch.) They get a short break for 'gym' outside, but aside from that it sounded pretty bleak.

Among dd's friends, the majority have no intention of sending their kids to school in September, and I'd be surprised if dgs goes in the fall. I'm sure he'll be disappointed since he was being prepared for it all, had seen the inside of the school (but not his classroom) and talked about it all the time. Now he seldom mentions it.

If one wage-earner in a family has lost their job due to this, it makes sense from a health stand-point to stay home with the kids and try and manage on government funding and a single salary. It will be interesting to see how many families discover they can do so.

In the 'olden days' (the 1960s) we had single wage families. We also only had one car, one TV, few, if any after school activities, ate at home almost all the time, played by ourselves for entertainment, went to the movies a couple of times a year. My brother and sister-in-law are saving $400 a week just in highway tolls plus the savings on gas and wear and tear on cars by working from home. It is making him reconsider his job since financially, he's not put out by this, in fact is well ahead since his costs have dropped so much.

Even our costs have dropped despite still having pizza and often a second take-out meal a week. And we already worked from home. We haven't been taking buses, don't go to movies and concerts, and don't shop as much, so spend less.

Yesterday at my conference a lot of the focus was on the idea we are in a portal now, moving from our old lives to a new life. Things will not go back to the way they were. For now, the earth has been given a Sabbath rest from our assault upon her. Hopefully, the new life will reduce our attack on the earth by our consumerism and our use of fossil fuels.

What will the new life be like? What from our old life do we need to carry through the portal to the new life? What can we leave behind?

As churches, we've learned that the line, "It has always been this way and always will." no longer applies. Just because we've never done something before doesn't mean we can't do it now. And many churches are learning all that they can do in a new way. Not just church but in all ways, our daily lives will have change if we want to protect the earth as well as ourselves.

I think the sooner we give up on the thought that we will return to our old lives, and look forward to the possibilities the new normal will offer us, the sooner we'll begin to heal mentally from this shock of loss.

There, that's my thoughtful comments of the day! I can cross that off and get going on other stuff.

I had my breakfast on the balcony with the grands, using the river my backdrop. It worked well because I used my phone's earbuds to block some of the road noise and bring the mike close to me.

But it is time to go inside, reset the dining table for the conference attendance (it is still set up for family dinner) and to do a bit of housework and paperwork before the conference starts at noon.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Thu May 21, 2020 10:17 am

Kathryn - I enjoyed reading your thoughts on the way forward.

I used my phone's earbuds to block some of the road noise and bring the mike close to me.

Reading this made me realize the benefit of using a mic on headset. I have been using the computer mic (built-in) but it is several inches away which allows more background noise. I remember watching an online instructor recently hold her hand on the headset mic and how well her hand helped shut off the background noise (she was outside). I haven't bought a headset with mic because they are about twice the cost as without a mic Hum.... now that I'm doing online meetings several times a week I think it would be a purchase that should be reconsidered.

44 SHE cards completed
1. Know what you want.

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Thu May 21, 2020 10:23 am

Hi!!

Thoughtfulness for the day. Make some more phone calls to women in various knitting groups. Some of them are sheltering at home due to their age.

Thoughts for the day. Keeping everything tidy on the surface means I can spend a LOT more time doing whatever I like. Deal with putting away clean dishes while I wait for the kettle to boil and then it is done for the day. Putting away the clean laundry as soon as the dryer buzzes means I don't have laundry piles to put away. Keeping the island as clear as possible gives us room to work when we make supper. Dh has been doing a lot of helping with meals and he likes the island to be clear. My inner neat freak is screaming inside my head because she wants to tidy out more drawers, but the back seat of my car is full of stuff to go to the thrift store already.

I stitched for most of the day yesterday. I like being in there now because there aren't piles of books calling me to be put away. Less guilt for the mess makes it a joyful place to sit.

I don't have a clue about supper. Dh mentioned goulash last night, so I will pull out some hamburger after he has left for the afternoon.

The only undone thing in the house right now is the bed because the cat is sleeping on it.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

MysteryWoman

Postby MysteryWoman » Thu May 21, 2020 10:55 am

Hello! I actually got here at a reasonable hour.

Just took my morning meds - I almost forgot. Annnnd... I started unloading the dishwasher while waiting for my breakfast to cook and forgot to go back to it once breakfast was done. DH is doing that now that his morning Zoom meeting is over. I've been thinking of him when reading Elizabeth's posts; he, too, is bashing his head against a computer. In his case, he's trying to put together the master class schedule for next year.

I have not seen the CDC guidelines on schools yet. I think I am glad DC17 has graduated. If only it could have been one year earlier, and we had her college figured out. I can't remember if I've mentioned; since her ADHD is bad enough that she's done little more than homework for the past 10 years and has no idea what she even enjoys, our plan was to have her take a few classes each term at community college -- whatever sounded interesting, no matter what the field. So we were going to check out the two nearby ones over spring break, except she never got to spring break.

As for thoughtfulness, I have a thank-you note that needs to be written. But first, I'd better get some laundry started. I completely forgot to get a load in yesterday.
I've got my country's 500th anniversary to plan, my wedding to arrange, my wife to murder, and Guilder to frame for it; I'm swamped. -- Prince Humperdinck

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu May 21, 2020 11:00 am

LadyM, I'm sure your dkids are feeling more independent with their home schooling. You are doing a great job with both of them! I feel for your little school system. Our system here is county wide = more resources. They have a committee of citizens (parents and leaders in the community) formed to figure out plans for reopening, and I think most schools have continued with assignments and all. I know many families have difficulties getting them all done - limited computer access, shared computer access, not enough supervision with parents working so I know re opening will be important to many.

Today begins my two day weekly cleaning. I'd like to get as much as possible (even all of it?) done today so tomorrow is easier. We are having the elderly friend over for rescheduled Shabbat dinner tomorrow night. I plan to use a timer today to see how many rotations it actually takes me. Dcleaning lady checked in yesterday re coming back next week and I suggested I'll keep doing it myself for now, or maybe go to every other week, or do it myself and keep her on speed dial for crisis cleaning. I feel for her because she needs the income. I do a better job, and I'm getting the routine of it. (Thinking, thinking. The trouble with trying to track the time it takes me to do weekly cleaning is that I do some a.m. and daily and other stuff along the way, too.)

Also checking with vet re:

That said, I need to get moving. I'll start at 11 a.m. here, for 45 min to :15 before the hour, and continue to a stopping place today. Trying to review musings from earlier this week and last too.

LadyM, I use a headset with mic when I'm going to be speaking. I think it comes through better. I can't remember if it was from Amazon or Best buy but I'm thinking it was only about $20?

Mystery, I'm taking morning meds when I first get up - hoping I get a little "kick in the pants" from them. Glad to see you with us!
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Thu May 21, 2020 11:44 am

I've realized over time that if I take my Thyroid med and try to go back & lay down for the half hour (before I can take anything else) I usually can't lie there for the entire time. My body starts energizing I guess.

My thoughtfulness today was to get a Get Well card out to the mailbox. Dfriend from church was having his aorta valve replaced today. Of course nobody could go into the hospital with him or visit. Wanted to be sure to get something mailed before we're on the road (tomorrow). Need to update in J&C for our DGGS Brey, so best go do that while I'm on here.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu May 21, 2020 11:59 am

I see in my prior post I sidetracked before I finished:
Also checking with vet re:
Meant to say checking with vet about a recheck of dMuffin's poor ears. Before I call the vet I decided to ask dd to come by and weigh in on whether she could still smell them. I sometimes catch a whiff of them but I know my ears get used to the smell so it doesn't always register with me.

I don't think I got in more than 10 or 15 min of weekly house blessing on that round. Some dailies, some a.m. routine, some cleaning that really wasn't part of weekly cleaning, just spontaneous. :lol: Some organization, writing things down.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu May 21, 2020 12:28 pm

LadyM, the new homeschool schedule sounds like a winner to me. If I was doing it (as a child) I'd probably work like crazy to get the rest of the week free!

I haven't seen the CDC guidelines. I must check on them. DGSs girlfriend goes back to her college this weekend. All her friends are at the campus and not in her family's hometown and she is happier there. And she got an internship for some kind of work/study but must use the college lab for that. She was supposed to do that a month or so ago but it was closed and the program was canceled. Now it's open again. Those living on campus or those off campus in their own places are allowed to come back. Well, those who stayed in that area are allowed in their dorms but those who left are not allowed to come back to the dorms. So some things are opening up. DGS thinks it sounds like their 2 colleges will be open this fall. We shall see.

As for getting back to normal... myself, I never got into the 'going out to this and that every single day' mindset like the majority of people have. We stay at home much more than any of our retiree friends do. In our small group, since most of them now attend a different church, they gather for brunches during the week, lunch after church together, etc. The thing that changed around here was the no-working but for different reasons. Well, Wed youth group and men's group Monday eve. for DH. He really misses those and will go right back to them when they start up again.

I raised the kids before all the running around every day for this and that started. We had gymnastic classes once a week, but my kids played with neighborhood friends and were not busy so much of the time. Outings were special times now and then. We did not go out to eat every other day. Kids are not raised this way these days. I have no idea how much things will go back to normal. I suspect that will depend on how healthy the world is and how much the kids adapted to this time off.

I do wonder about the quality of schooling. And I suspect a lot of people who never worked at home will be working from home now.

Called insurance company again and this time got another gal finally who went over everything with me. We got everything straightened out, changed limits, dropped a truck, and ended up not making the change DH had considered. The check I received is in its way back to them since all the amounts have changed. So good to have that all done.

Return to “Post When You Can”