Friday FOCUS

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Friday FOCUS

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri May 22, 2020 12:15 pm

From 10 - noon, general tidying, washed up breakfast dishes (because the rest of the kitchen looked good and I didn't want to leave it looking messy.

Got the tax paperwork filed. Pulled the 10 year old records and put them by the scanner to scan and then shred.

Talked for 30 minutes with a lonely senior.

Made a big stir fry for my lunch and am watching the opening sermon now.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Fri May 22, 2020 1:13 pm

Dh got home and we unloaded and put away groceries. I'm mostly done with weekly cleaning. It's getting easier.

I need to s2s, start challah and have lunch. I think I'll have a quick lunch first.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri May 22, 2020 2:19 pm

I am apparently 'done.' Not one session has been interesting to me today. I keep muting the speakers/preachers.

There's one more left that will start at 3. Not sure I'll even bother to look in.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Fri May 22, 2020 2:45 pm

WTG, Twins --
I'm mostly done with weekly cleaning. It's getting easier.

Wish I could say that!

:oops: I have totally lost my habit of getting out of bed and s2s before looking at the internet! That little step makes a big difference in my day, and I just have to FOCUS on getting back into that routine.
Today, when I finally did get out of bed, and after s2s (no makeup) I went to the bank and the post office. Talked to dmom on the phone.
Read part of the paper, ate breakfast, did the Sudoku puzzle in the paper.
Not much to shout ta-da over, is it? LOL...

But WTG to ALL of you! Y'all are really doing well keeping everything going under these weird circumstances we're living in.
Our governor announced the opening of a LOT of stuff starting today -- youth sports may start again, but so far, ds hasn't heard from dgs' coach. I saw Little League recommendations in the paper. Ugh -- it honestly sounds like more trouble than it's worth! Of course, we are not under Little League regulations; here we play Dixie Youth. (I think they broke away from Little League sometime in the 60s?) But I am sure the overall Dixie Youth organization will have some sort of guidelines for everyone and, like Little League, they have already cancelled their World Series tournament. Plus, in our Tiny Town, there are only 4 fields, and it will be time for T-ball to start up soon, too. Hard to manage all those teams at the same time on those 4 fields. I guess they could use the softball field at the high school.
We no longer have the a limit on numbers, but at graduation last night, graduates were allowed 6 tickets each and family units were instructed to sit 6 feet apart from other families. So that would be a problem in small ballfield seating, also. Little League recommends ONLY parents be allowed to attend, btw.

Anyway, I'm just rambling. DGD will be spending the night with us tonight (after their last swimming lesson for the season).
I'm going to have to offer to keep them both next Friday night, for ds/ddil's 10th anniversary. Can y'all BELIEVE that? It seems like yesterday that I was crying to y'all about my baby leaving me... :oops: :lol: And here I am, crying about having HIS babies too often, right?
I am worried about the next 8-10 weeks -- ddil's summer session, with ds working 4-5 days a week and the kids home all the time. You can see last night's PWYC to see how stressed ddil is... shaking my head. Sounds like they are really getting overwhelmed over there, BUT... it is really not good for dh's health to have them both over here a lot. One at a time, yes -- both, noooo...
But it IS their anniversary next week, so...

Cathy -- hope you get the electricity problem fixed soon! That used to happen at school anytime someone made popcorn in their microwave, they'd blow a fuse on our hall.

BookSaver, I noticed the library in Next Town is doing curbside service. I guess patrons check out books online and pick them up at the library. I don't think they're allowing anyone inside -- and our little library hasn't opened at all. But I am very much enjoying the e-library service "Libby." EXCEPT -- it seems a lot of the most popular books are on hold for 6 months! I have holds on half a dozen books at the moment! But I'm reading a lot more, since I can read in bed without bothering dh.
* Hope you and your dmom have a great weekend -- that is so good that you are willing and able to go stay with her!

I know I was not influenced by an unhappy homemaker -- my dmom loved being a stay-at-home mom, until I was in 8th grade. At that point, I guess, thinking about college for two children looming ahead, they decided they needed a second income. But she loved being a full-time homemaker. She sewed, gardened, cooked supper every night, kept the house clean all the time. She was kinda the perfect Suzy Homemaker. I don't know what happened to me. :roll:
My paternal grandmother was likewise, a full-time homemaker and did a great job of it... and my maternal grandmother, although she worked outside the home almost all my dmom's life and mine, was also a good homemaker. She was a great cook, always cleaned thoroughly on Saturday mornings, and then she and my dgfather would go to town on Saturday evenings -- where she would walk around the square in our little Tiny Town and check out all the shops and he would sit in the drug store and drink coffee and wait on her.
Yep... the energy/motivation gene just skipped me.

I think the 45/15 minute time frame would suit me best as well. I don't think a 5 minute break is even worth timing. I can't even think what to do in five minutes!

Wishing Dee & dd good travel weather and no bad traffic!
Tomorrow is another day.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri May 22, 2020 2:53 pm

I'm in a mood. While looking for hymns to add to a potential song-set with the seniors, I found references to there being no singing when churches reopen. German churches have stopped singing. Our denomination is discussing it now.

But if there is no singing in churches there will also be no concerts (after all, people might sing along with their favourite songs), and I read that wood and brass instruments are also considered 'dangerous' and so that eliminates orchestras.

It is all too depressing.

Sunny

Postby Sunny » Fri May 22, 2020 3:00 pm

Good afternoon everyone! We have had overcast skies since yesterday, except for one 20 minute bit of sunshine a little while ago. We had rain overnight and this morning was a hard downpour.

Dson and ddil just left on an errand. They have worked all morning on their bathroom project, repairing the wall area where the shower curtain rod is. Dgrson is relaxing with his video game. I had been awake since just before 6 a.m. Couldn't get to sleep again, I finally got up at 7:30 a.m., dressed and made my bed; was about to start the coffee maker when dson and ddil came down, so he made the coffee. After breakfast I put our few dishes in the dishwasher. There still isn't enough to run it yet. After a second cup of coffee my stomach felt queasy, so I sat down to rest and ended up falling asleep until after noon! That almost never happens! Anyway, we all just finished lunch. I quess this is my day of rest.

Dee, no worries; I just wanted to see if I had the right number. Wishing you and dd a safe, easy trip.

I have a letter to answer and a few other little things I can do; that should keep me busy for the afternoon.
Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible. --- Francis of Assisi

MysteryWoman

Postby MysteryWoman » Fri May 22, 2020 3:13 pm

Wash is now in dryer. It's whites, and I was not going to hang 500 kajillion individual socks. After I started the wash, I came up and watched along with DC -- their school put together a video of various faculty members reading, "Oh! The Places You'll Go!" and having a great time with it. They each got a line or two; some were recorded at the school, some in their homes, and the bookstore manager even went to the airport to record her bit. I imagine this'll be shown as part of the graduation at the drive-in on Tuesday, especially as it wasn't e-mailed to the girls -- DH just happened to find a link on Twitter.

Then I had lunch and spent quite a while listening in on DH -- first was a Zoom meeting with the model railroad club he serves as moderator for. Some of the guys shared their layouts, some of which were pretty detailed. Then, we got a call from our parish's music minister, apparently making the rounds as part of the staff. We first thought it was a call to confirm that we'd be there to do something the weekend church comes back, since DH helps with Communion, and I read, but, no, apparently it was just our turn to get a call.

I brought in mail and have spent a little time watching the bunny that frequents our yard, and that's been it

Bookie, I went online to see when our library would start allowing pickup service only to find out that it started Monday. Sneaky, they are. ;) The City starts drive-up service this coming Monday, and the county will start June 1. I hope your sewing group is able to meet. Glad your family is taking such good care of your DMom.

Cathy, I need to get an electrician into my kitchen as well. I don't trust the outlet behind the stove. Of course, ours is an old house, and an electrician could find plenty to do here.

Good of you, Kathryn, to talk to the senior. I should do the same; we have an elderly friend I haven't called in a while, but it's the half hour of listening to the same stories over and over that puts me off. No singing because of the force of voice possibly spreading more virus? I had heard talk of no choirs because of social distancing, but no singing at all never even crossed my mind.

How is the daybed, Twins?

lucylee, I can't believe I was gone 10 years, but I can't remember when The Girl became The Wife, so I guess I must have been.

Next up: prayers, then fold yesterday's wash. Not sure what will be after that; I've got a lot of "ought tos," and I don't know which, if any, will win.
I've got my country's 500th anniversary to plan, my wedding to arrange, my wife to murder, and Guilder to frame for it; I'm swamped. -- Prince Humperdinck

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Fri May 22, 2020 3:30 pm

I have been busy non-stop since my feet hit the floor this morning. Thankfully not in a stressed & overwhelmed way but just enjoying the journey of doing the next thing.

I've attended two online meetings today. One was a zoom group of 7 discussing a topic I'm learning. It lasted for an hour but seems mere minutes because I found it so interesting. The other meeting was also zoom but in instructor mode. It lasted 2.5 hours with me taking multiple pages of notes. My brain is saying "enough"! I need time to process all this new-to-me information.

My first meal of the day was one of my favorites - scrambled eggs, bacon, and sautéed spinach.

I have kids waiting for me to check and/or work one-on-one to finish up their home/crisis school work for the week. *POOF*

41 SHE cards completed. 8 hrs 25 minutes tracked.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Fri May 22, 2020 3:44 pm

I think the rain has stopped for now so I walked dMuffin. DH was sitting on the porch waiting for a friend to come by to pick up something, so I sat out there with him for a bit. When he came in I got the shears and cut down to the ground a couple of insolent weedy plants that had sprung up among my azaleas. Fifteen more minutes in the bread maker for the challah. I need to start on the Mango salsa for the salmon tonight. The menu is Zaatar salmon with mango salsa (in oven at high temp) with roasted broccoli, green salad and challah. We have strawberries for dessert and I'm going to whip up a little cream (no sugar) to go with them.

Need to set the table and do some other things. Mostly piddling around.

Mystery, daybed is right where I told him to move it. I forgot about the broken leather chair up there, I hope I can persuade him to let it go. He claimed it (broken) from a friend who was moving away and it's been around at least 10 years. We moved it to this house. It will be a bear to get downstairs tho. And he folded up the treadmill and it needs to be put back up. Now I think he's back peddling on bringing his stand up desk from his office. :roll:
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Fri May 22, 2020 5:30 pm

The one-on-one school assignments are finished for the week. I haven't graded the rest yet but I'm kinda feeling "done" with school today. I'm giving myself a pass on grading the rest. I'll do it before I set up next week's assignments tomorrow or Sunday.

I'm fairly sure DS11 isn't comprehending ration and proportions in math. The book doesn't use common sense (to me) method but uses cross multiplication to solve the problems. This seems to me to be making it harder than it should be. We are working through the problems one step at a time together. He can do the individual steps of the cross multiplication method so hopefully, the time we are spending learning this method will come in handy of future algebra studies.

For the first time in over 2 months the kids got to go inside a brick-n-mortar store. Since we don't have any positive cases within a 20 mile radius I'm feeling okay with resuming this "normal" activity. I took them to the local small store and they were thrilled to shop & select items themselves. They spent almost all of the money they have earned. Before we went inside the store we discussed being aware of anything touching our face. They both decided to pretend their hands were covered with ucky things so they wouldn't want to put that ucky onto their face. I think they did very well.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Return to “Post When You Can”