SATURDAY - SEASON-ING PWYC

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Ramblinrose

Re: SATURDAY - SEASON-ING PWYC

Postby Ramblinrose » Sat May 23, 2020 1:57 pm

LadyM...

It won’t take long till everything begins to bloom and produce leaves again. Happens around my house all the time.

Watered all my sunnies. New cycles have begun. Some have lost their pedals, while other ones are just now beginning to bloom. I have spent 45 minutes to an hour every morning for the past 12 weeks Out in my gardens. I figure I have another 8 weeks or more before everything turns back to the earth.

The bees have discovered my sunnies which means tie birds won’t be far behind. I love being able to watch the Circle of life with my sunnies.

If I can find my energy I see some house blessings in my future :D
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat May 23, 2020 2:01 pm

Balconies are done (for now). There's a big bag of last year's planter soil to go downstairs. I read that the best way to get rid of it is to put it in your gardens. For apartment dwellers, sneak it into the gardens, or under fir trees and spread it around a bit. I'm fine with that except for no rake to spread it with. All my proper gardening tools, except for one pruning knife, are at dd's. I used to garden a bit for her so her place didn't look as bad.

Maybe, I'll take the soil over to her place to put in the front gardens. Although they were topped up with the last of the load of soil they had delivered.

I'll be planting some flowers at some point but for now I'm done. We've decided to let the poinsettia live a bit longer while we wait to get flowers. I also planted a second crop of lettuce.

All the garden knick-knacks are out as well. So it is looking pretty finished out there.

My back is killing me.

I've washed up my hands and feet and done a bit of the kitchen tidying. But I'm breaking now to have my lunch.

MysteryWoman

Postby MysteryWoman » Sat May 23, 2020 3:15 pm

Thanks, Lady M, for the nudge to J&C. Prayers said.

Slept in this morning. I was awake part of the night, but not so long, I think, as to justify how late I slept in. Did leave enough time for the thyroid to kick in before breakfast. Listened to my Saturday morning radio quiz shows. One seems mostly like normal, while the other depends a bit more on audience participation and is not quite the same being patched together from remote locations. Anyhow, afterward, I had brunch while DH had an early lunch. The Scout troop has distribution for its annual plant sale today, and they had to do a bit more setting up than usual so they can load the customers up without them getting out of their cars and meanwhile maintain social distance among themselves.

I had wanted to go to the local bakery today but forgot about it till just now, and I'm sure they're closed by now. I may bake something myself later, but I am starting to run low on baking supplies. It is going to be time for another grocery trip soon. I think once we finish the gallon of milk that has been started in the fridge, it will be time for an actual grocery run and not just a trip for milk and bread. Which means I need to start planning a list. Then we have to decide who will do it; if I go, I will shower and wash clothes once I get home, which DH will not, but that means I would actually be the one in the store amongst the germs. If DH goes, he brings the germs home to me, but I'm only getting them second-hand, so presumably fewer, but they'll linger longer.
I've got my country's 500th anniversary to plan, my wedding to arrange, my wife to murder, and Guilder to frame for it; I'm swamped. -- Prince Humperdinck

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Sat May 23, 2020 4:58 pm

Checking in from another lazy Saturday...
DGD spent the night & was here till around noon, when I took her home, and since then I've been watching/sleeping through tv Westerns with dh.
Now, we are getting ready to go pick up ds/family and go out for supper. This has become our quarantine routine. (Not the sleeping through tv all day; that was already my Saturday routine when not attending a sporting event or music festival.)

Anyway... the year is approaching the halfway point. I have really got to get myself together.
I type that and then I think, WHO AM I KIDDING??? :roll: :oops:
I have been retired 7 years. Will I EVER "get myself together?"
OTOH, ddil looks at our house and I'm sure she thinks I am a total neat freak, born-organized, possibly some kind of alien.
I guess I have this inner thing from my ddad that makes me think I am supposed to be BUSY BUSY BUSY ALL the time --
but unfortunately, I did NOT inherit the energy to actually DO the things I "see" that I need to be doing. So I am constantly at war with myself.
Like the Apostle Paul, the thing I want to do, I do not... * sigh *

I went through that planner I bought last December and figured out what kind of zones it has. Our way is MUCH better.
It has you in the kitchen 8 weeks of the year -- just little tasks like one week for the spice rack, one for the refrigerator, one for the freezer, and then it will rotate all that again six months later.
It breaks down to this:
8 weeks kitchen
3 weeks master bath
3 weeks child room/bath
1 week master bedroom
1 week office
1 week den/living room
1 week laundry
1 week dining room
1 week misc storage areas
1 week garage -- all thouse will rotate, so it should be 42 weeks if I did it right --
PLUS
5 weeks Christmas prep
1 week for summer/pool planning/organizing
2 weeks to purge/print & organize pictures on phones
1 week for general phone app organization/etc
1 week for organizing tv/media
1 week for windows

For my house, that totally omits my study and guest room, (I would consider the computer room my “office,”) but I just don't see that being nearly as productive as our 4 rounds. There are also some tiny tasks like "clean light fixtures & fans," "clean mirrors," "clean doorknobs and light switches" which apparently rotate through about once a month, but I think our way, or the F lylady's way is much better. I am sooo glad I did not spend $50 on the pretty printed & bound version.

My problem is just... a combination of my lack of energy & motivation, plus dh's... presence.
Our day is like --
get up, s2s, go to post office, return home, read the paper... and then he watches tv or something till time for me to start supper.
Then he takes his shower, we eat, clean kitchen... watch tv...
Occasionally he might want to go out and do something like trim shrubs, poison ant mounds, something like that, but mostly he is in the house and either (1) don't want to disturb him or (2) don't want to do anything because HE isn't doing anything.
For example -- I know I need to wash the curtain in the dining room... but I know it's going to be awkward and troublesome to get down -- it's on a long rod, bay-window size, and I don't want to have to ask him to help and don't want to get it in a mess that I need him to help.
AUUUGH!

Interrupted now bc he’s ready to leave and wants to delete junk emails!
Tomorrow is another day.

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Sat May 23, 2020 5:17 pm

Ended up having a nap with dh on his side of the bed and the cat curled up between me and the edge of the bed. Her purring always makes a great noise to fall asleep to.

Since I woke up I have finished vacuuming. I have started getting the kitchen together and the desk is getting a makeover. I really cannot have the mess on here that I usually have. HAHAHA!! Oops.... What I mean is, now that the library and cross stitch stuff has been cleared up, maybe I should work on the paper tiger. :lol:
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sat May 23, 2020 7:23 pm

Dh moved the desk and daybed and a bunch of books and my things into the bonus room, and set up his office. He moved the inversion table and the huge chair into his office and the bonus room feels opened up, even with all the stuff everywhere and a bookcase in the middle. I'll work to get mother's sewing machine moved too and I think he'll move the boxed comic books into the closet of his office. So the room will look decent, I hope. It still has the treadmill, which I do use. He took the nicer small bookcase and put his TV on it, and I'll get a taller bookcase for that space for books and the photos and stuff.

I dusted, then spent awhile reshelving books and entering them in LibraryThing, or alternatively, checking to see if they were already entered. These are all genealogy or reference or civil war or local history.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Sat May 23, 2020 9:07 pm

Hugs and prayers for all who grieve. to all who need to heal.

Hearing RR on early start (possibly) to cv in the south. There was a time where everyone over there was going to funerals. It seemed from over here.
And the symptoms it can throw up are so diverse, particularly in people they call 'asymptomatic'. (in some countries) Some stats are being drawn from the surplus to normal number of deaths and attributed to undiagnosed cv after the fact.

DD and Dsil are due to pick me up for lunch. They stayed at their coast should be tenanted investment apartment on the coast. DD said she failed to go outside yesterday. A/C on. Outside it failed to reach 57f and there was an artic blow with it. low to the south and front right up the E coast.
West coast currently being done over as well.
If DD needs a plate in her upper arm (shoulder to elbow) it might be a while before they can get away again. xrays this week will tell that story.

pooof
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat May 23, 2020 10:15 pm

Dinner tonight was a surprised.

I had planned sweet and sour pork. I pulled out the recipe in its page protector from my binder cookbook and stuck it up on the cupboard above my workspace. Scanned the ingredients.

Pork chops... funny I always make it with a tenderloin so I thought I was subbing in chops today, when in fact it is the other way that has the substitution. Who knew...

Oil... normally I just use spray oil

Brown sugar... of course, it is SWEET and sour pork but I don't remember sugar in this recipe...

Cinnamon and nutmeg..... wait a second!

I had put the recipe up with the wrong side facing out. By then I read the rest of the recipe and we ended up having pork chops smothered in caramelized onion and apples.

Dh has asked that I add this recipe into regular rotation!

We practiced music in the afternoon and I spent time on the floor due to my sore back.

The evening was lot to watching YouTubes. We did watch the full Joe Biden interview on A Late Show so that was reasonably time well spent since we got to see him for a long stretch, uncut and draw our own conclusions.

Return to “Post When You Can”