Thursday Thoughtfulness

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
LadyMaverick

Thursday Thoughtfulness

Postby LadyMaverick » Thu May 28, 2020 10:48 am

Keeping ((((Harriet and family))) in my thoughts today as they have a funeral for her DSIL.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

LadyMaverick

Re: Thursday Thoughtfulness

Postby LadyMaverick » Thu May 28, 2020 11:06 am

The act of thinking of others instead of focusing on ourselves has big pay-backs. I'm not thinking of paybacks from others returning the kindness but what happens to our own brain when we quit making ourselves the center of the universe.

I am going through this self-centered thinking with the kids in the last 24 hours. DS11 anxiety grows by leaps and bounds as he spends too much time thinking about anything that could be wrong with his body. I found DD8 in tears last night because she watched youtube videos about having a fever and what it could do to the body. Explaining the truthful facts does help reduce their anxiety. I explained (again) to DD8 that a temperature of 99.8 isn't considered high or dangerous. It was just a sign her body is healthy and working the way it should to destroy the bacteria/germs inside it. It is just a stomach bug that is already going away. This morning the fever is reduced in everyone and DS11 was able to eat a scrambled egg without any problems.

A side note. Everyone except me has been sick for the last 24 hours. I didn't get this stomach bug. I am wondering and hoping it is a sign that my immune system is getting better. I have been consistently working on eating to improve my health. It is a slow process but this could be another NSV.

DGS23 and I are restarting our Thursday lunches together. This tradition was suspended during the virus shutdown. This is a time that we both enjoy spirited conversations. We challenge each other thinking process in a good way.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Thu May 28, 2020 11:19 am

Morning...

Waving to y’all ...once my garden is finishing with it self watering it’s off to the mountains I go. Glad to be getting out of town and it’s 110+ heat :D
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

MysteryWoman

Postby MysteryWoman » Thu May 28, 2020 11:26 am

Definitely, LadyM. (((Harriet and family)))

Glad to hear your DS is getting better; sorry to hear he wasn’t the only one sick. Glad you’re able to resume your lunches.

RRose, I can’t blame you for running away from the heat. I couldn’t stand it in the 80’s and am very glad the heat has broken here, even if there’s a possibility of lows below 50 in a couple of days. One can always put on more layers. 110+?!! Is this why deserts have animals like snakes and lizards that shed their skin? ‘Cause I’d want to be shedding mine! Enjoy the mountains!

Did not sleep in so late as I have been; oddly, it’s cloudier here than it has been for a while, so it wasn’t the sun that woke me.

Not much accomplished of my to-dos yet, but I’ve been a sounding board for DH and DD20, so I’ve accomplished something. Poor DH had the master schedule looking good, then he got information from a couple of the departments that blew it up. So, time to tweak things some more and run it again. Could be worse, he said. His instructor in one of the classes he took on the software said that he was running a school schedule back when this sort of software was new, and they got three runs; everything after that had to be worked out by hand.

Got to get some laundry started. After that, I should work on a shopping list. With things as they are, I’m of two minds as to how long to make the list. Do I make a long list to maximize the time between shopping trips, or do I make a short list to minimize the time spent in the store?
I've got my country's 500th anniversary to plan, my wedding to arrange, my wife to murder, and Guilder to frame for it; I'm swamped. -- Prince Humperdinck

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu May 28, 2020 12:46 pm

Mystery, sure glad you came back to posting with us.
LadyM, good that your family is all feeling better.

I finally answered that letter and got it in the mail. 2nd cousin. We keep up with family news this way.

Have a casserole thawing from the freezer to bake for dinner. Need to do some tidying up in the laundry room today. That's it!

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Thu May 28, 2020 12:55 pm

Hi everyone!!

I got the garbage and recycling out and then I cut the grass because there is a lot of rain in the forecast. After I cut the grass I saw that my dd had texted AND called me. She rarely does that, so I called her. She was just teasing that she thought I had slept in. because there was no answer to her text. Any way... she wants to get her brakes done and new tires, so she called to see when dh was available. The 2 of them can figure it out.

Supper tonight is BBQ steak and whatever veg we decide at the time.

It is currently pouring rain and I am so thankful that I got the grass cut before it started.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu May 28, 2020 1:27 pm

Oy, I am afraid I am never going to get myself restarted today and I do need to get a start on "home blessing." I didn't finish a.m. routine before I headed out this morning. I got to the recycle place (glass and cardboard) and grocery before the rain started, and I was loading up car at grocery when it came down. I got a few things for dd - she did a Shipt order yesterday and the store that does Shipt was out of a few things, but I forgot to get them bagged separately, and with the rain I didn't want to have to paw around for her stuff. So once unloaded and put away here I sat down and then dd came by for her stuff and talked and talked. I kept threatening I would make her clean with me if she didn't get going, finally dh needed to get his car out for an errand and she had to go. (She and dh are those people who can't quite say goodbye and walk out.)

I did mail a thank you note this morning to the guy who gave us the Instant Pot, and have cards sitting here to write a note to two people and mail tomorrow.

Okay, I'm giving myself 15 more minutes or so and restart at :15 before the hours. Back at BOTH.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Thu May 28, 2020 1:58 pm

Yes... thinking of Harriet's dfamily, especially dd & dgrands.

And (((LadyM)))... thinking of your dchildren and you as you all try to manage their anxiety.

So... I'm thinking: "WHAT IS UP WITH THIS PACKAGE???" I ordered what appeared to be the neatest thing for dgs' birthday -- it's a plexiglass display item with the periodic table, with (it says) each element enclosed in its proper place. Now... I wonder how they show gases, for example... but it's supposed to be a display of the actual elements. Anyway -- unknown to me when I ordered, this is coming from China.
Got an email last night that says it is "ready for pick up, delayed by FedEx in Los Angeles." And it gave me a tracking #, but FedEx says that # is invalid.
Apparently it is totally impossible to speak with FedEx without giving them a valid number. :evil: So I'm at a standstill on this.
I sent a reply back to "Shopify" -- the sender of the email with this delivery notification -- and so we will see if they reply.

Also thinking about that stupid accident Saturday.
Yesterday -- long ordeal with insurance people re: the fender bender. This was hilarious. Frustrating, but hilarious.
Picked up the accident report, took it to our insurance office.
Our office called their office, found out that the driver of the offending vehicle uses his son for his agent. And apparently he had told his son about the accident, but said he wasn't going to file a report because he had no damage. :roll:
I could hear our office secretary's side of the conversation (and she had to repeat parts of this several times:
"Well, that's great, but MY client HAS damage and she IS filing. ..... No she doesn't want to file on her insurance because she was not at fault. ..... Well, yes, I am looking at the police report right now. ..... I have it in my hand right here. ..... It says your client caused damage to vehicle 2 on the rear bumper and then backed up and caused damage to my client on the front bumper. ..... Well, I will email this to you. .....
~~~ Long pause while we suspect agent made phone call to his dad ~~~~
"Well, can you connect me to the claims department now ? Can we do this over the phone right now? Because my client is standing right here in the office with me; we can take care of this now... "
~~~ Finally, after she made another call and told this story another series of times, she had a claims # and the promise that the adjuster would be in contact with us by today. ---

Fortunately, he did call, just now, and is on his way here now. So maybe this will all be taken care of soon. Our agent was in disbelief about how difficult it was to get through to these people that their client WAS at fault and no, we did not want to pay our $500 deductible when we were guilty of nothing (except wanting Chick-fil-a nuggets... LOL :roll: ).

So... waiting on that... waiting on dgrands to arrive in an hour or so...
and still making great progress on my dvd transfers.
(WHB, zone work, not so much.)
Tomorrow is another day.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu May 28, 2020 3:07 pm

LOL, Lucy. He didn't want to tell his son about the damage!

OK I have gone astray. I had a message from a distant relative (on FamilySearch) wanting to collaborate. Well, I'm not actively researching that guy, and probably have more research than she ever dreamed of already and can't tell with certainty who his father was. So I wrote up some of my "thoughts" I don't have any evidence and don't believe that his first wife was Mary Agnes Adams or that his middle initial was M, or that he was the W.M. White who remarried in 1855. I have images of a microfilm and a book from the TSLA, deeds, have searched court cases, probate records, and deeds. I can id the two men who are frequently confused with him - William M. White and William G. White and convincingly explain why they aren't him. I have built a "FAN" group (family/friends, acquaintances, neighbors) for him and analyzed that for clues to his and his wife's identity. I'm not upset at the suggestion that we collaborate, btw.

Timer goes off at :15 before the hour. I hope my bottom isn't fused to the chair. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu May 28, 2020 3:18 pm

Lucylee: Shopify is an online ordering facilitator. It handles the computer end of putting your inventory online and handles the sales for you. They are getting into fulfillment (actually shipping the orders from warehouses) but not sure where that stands (they bought a fulfillment company about 18 months ago.) I'm well aware of them because 1) they are an Ottawa based company, 2) the dad of the little girl A downstairs who I play with works there, 3) the coolest house in the neighbourhood belongs to one of the founders, and 4) we invested in the company on a whim and our shares are up over 20-fold. It makes up a disproportionate amount of our assets at the moment although I've been selling it off bit by bit.

Dgs' bike from Costco arrived yesterday. It took 21 days (with at least 10 of them sitting in a warehouse here in my city.) It was marked 6 - 8 days delivery when I bought it.

I'm astray as well, Twins.

Sat down to work and was interrupted by a phone call. There had been an awful person I had banned from the residents' association FB group and he had his own group and was saying 'actionable' things about me according to a friend who warned me. I didn't bother looking since I knew I'd stew too much about it. Turns out he went after the property manager and she didn't just stew, she called in the police and he had to remove the posts! And he's agreed to leave the complex (technically, he didn't live here and since he had to pass a police check to be added to a lease, and refused to do so, she managed to get both him and the actual tenant, his girlfriend to leave.)

So that was good news. Plus she said she thought having a food truck in would be a good moral booster so just let her know the social distancing plans. Next step is to talk to the food truck guy.

But that got me off-task and I've never made it back.

Return to “Post When You Can”