Thursday Thoughtfulness

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Twins' Mom

Re: Thursday Thoughtfulness

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu May 28, 2020 3:57 pm

Quick post, since I'm breaking and had a good 45 min.

Kathryn, we have a food truck coming next week to our neighborhood. They'll park by the pool so those tables are available for family groups or we can bring it home. The menu for this one is fairly limited but it will be a nice break for everyone.

I still haven't finished a.m. routine, but I've been doing some of the weekly kitchen cleaning while I clean it up. Also several other things along the way: refilled meds, replacing a couple of batteries, cleaning jewelry (nothing down the sink until everything is accounted for, btw.)
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

MysteryWoman

Postby MysteryWoman » Thu May 28, 2020 3:59 pm

Thanks, Harmony! I'm glad to be back, too -- I've been trying to at least read posts the days I don't get on to post. I just hope I haven't brought the sad with me; it seems like folks on this board have had more than their share of rough times lately.

I hope the rain does not interfere with your BBQ, Cathy.

It's good to talk with kids, Twins. Yours are starting to reach the age at which Mom's wisdom is appreciated, are they not? Was going to offer you the BGS, but it sounds like you've already found it. Could you pass it back here, please? ;)

Glad the insurance thing is getting settled, lucylee.

Kathryn, it sounds like you're a good neighbor to have IRL and not just here.

I got the wash in, had some lunch, then went to the computer to print out my master shopping list -- and got sucked into FB. And I finally got it printed out... and got sucked into FB yet again. Going to say afternoon prayers now then actually work on that doggone grocery list.
I've got my country's 500th anniversary to plan, my wedding to arrange, my wife to murder, and Guilder to frame for it; I'm swamped. -- Prince Humperdinck

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu May 28, 2020 4:52 pm

One of the rules around our food truck this year is that people will have to take the food back to their apartments. Usually it is split about 30% (almost all seniors!) eat at tables we set up and the remainder go upstairs. Sometimes the parents of small kids eat on the patio because they are visiting with me, or because they realize people will entertain their kids while they have a somewhat uninterrupted meal!

The property manager is afraid that people from the neighbourhood or even a curmudgeon in the building will call in a complaint to the city so she doesn't want to risk a fine. At the moment, guideline is no mixing of households without 6' distance between them. The law is no more than 5 people together without 6' of distance unless all are in the same household and it is an $880 fine.

Dh and I went for a walk so he could get cream for his dinner tonight. I'm having lasagna and he'll have fettuccine. He went to the nearest store and I walked up and down the road outside while he was inside. He beat the lineup to go in so he just had to wait for 1 person to leave before he was cleared to enter.

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Thu May 28, 2020 5:00 pm

Hi everyone! Never a dull moment around here, lots to do at payroll. The cube is finally fixed and I can use it again. I am still going to improve my queries, because they need it. DD18 did come over yesterday, but was very late because her car would not start. She has not been driving it enough and the battery is dead again. She and her dad tried to get it replaced under warranty, but the place was closed for the day (not long term, just after hours).

Turned out the library is not open for browsing, just for hold pickup, and by appointment only. My colonoscopy has been postponed again and cannot be rescheduled until late August. DD will be back in school in some form or other, so I will no longer have a driver. Which means it is delayed another year. I will be 56 on June 13, so I will be 6 years overdue.

xBFF has invited me to come over some time and watch a movie. With the relaxation of restrictions, she has been having friends over., but not lots at a time. I will call her and see about tomorrow. She still drives me crazy, insisting that my years with the x were really happy, because SHE was happy. She designates one couple to be her Disney movie and rewrites their story to fit the fairy tale in her head. (The mantle passed from us to C&B). She just cannot accept the fact that he was a horrible choice, bad enough that I will probably not ever remarry or even date, just so I won't find another like him. It would be ok if she would just LEAVE IT ALONE!!! She can imagine whatever ridiculous story suits her fancy, just STOP BRINGING IT UP HOPING THAT AFTER 10 YEARS, I WILL CHANGE MY MIND AND DECIDE SHE IS RIGHT!!! Sorry, I had to say that to someone before I go nuts. She will also solicit approval again for spending 41k on solar panels. Yep, you read that right. She wants to do it so she can help the guy who is selling them to her. She says she has an obligation to spend as much as possible during covid to help people. Growing up her mother told her money was evil. Her father was an accountant. I do accept that I cannot change her attitude toward money or anything else, but she asked my opinion, so I gave it. So now, she will try to wear me down to her way of thinking. I will at least tell her to get a second estimate, other friends paid about 8k.

ETA: WHEW!!! Just found out the obnoxious guy is not going on the campout we are joining! SUCH a relief! He is the one who, at random intervals approximately 20 minutes apart, emits loud piercing stadium type whistles for no reason I can discern. NOT someone I care to spend time with.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu May 28, 2020 6:09 pm

Another successful round except that dh came in needing "help" after I had explained to him that I'm on clearing routine. I had to explain last week that when I'm doing it, he needs to lie low. :lol: That round saw me finish kitchen cleaning for now and make the bed and fold a lol. That finishes am routine because I'm not going to s2s today.

Forgot to post above earlier when alarm went off at 5 p.m.

-----------------
Another round done. Powder room done except for spiffing the floor a bit, and upstairs bathroom done. Did some other things, emailed doc for refill on script and just finished with that. Dh is walking and I need to walk the dog now and start on supper. We'll have another "Home Chef" meal tonight - Cotija and Jalapeño-Crusted Chicken with Cajun Zucchini and Corn. I'll add refried meals to mine for a slow carb.

Been thinking about Harriet and her dd and little family and rest of family all afternoon.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Thu May 28, 2020 6:31 pm

Nine pages of meeting notes transcribed. Now I have to put them in the official format.

What is cotija? I tried it in google translate and it is an unknown word. On the first attempt at translation, I reversed the t and j and learned a Spanish dirty word that has nothing to do with chicken or food.

Tonight's plan:
  • Call brother for his birthday
  • Call xBFF and set up visit
  • See if the webinar I forgot was recorded and available
  • Clean sewing room/office chair, it stinks

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Thu May 28, 2020 6:47 pm

Lunch with DGS23 last FIVE hours! I'm exhausted from listening to that much talk.

Thankfully I had most of my things done before lunch so I don't have a lot to do this evening. I have a zoom meeting I want to attend but it doesn't require much interaction.

I might need to spend some time in a quiet room to let my energy level recharge. I am feeling depleted after 24 hours of sick kid care and listening to DGS23 for hours. I didn't get continuous sleep last night because I kept waking up to check on the kids to make sure their fever didn't spike. I just need one good night's sleep and then I'll be good-to-go.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Thu May 28, 2020 7:27 pm

Been thinking about Harriet and her dd and little family and rest of family all afternoon.
Me too, Twins. It's never easy losing any loved one, but this is beyond not being easy.

Try cotija cheese, Elizabeth.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu May 28, 2020 11:52 pm

LOL Elizabeth finding that word! :lol:

Lucylee, hope your package arrives ok.Sunny sent me a cuckoo clock from Germany once and it got stuck in customs in Chicago (I think) but eventually it made it here. Oh, I'd like to see that gift. For Christmas I gave DGS a coffee mug with the periodic table printed on it and he was much impressed that the new elements they discovered (when did they do that?) were included. And I gave him a TShirt with all kinds of formulas all over it and images of beakers, etc. lab stuff. He loved it and understood what a lot of the formulas were. He's a science geek and wants to be an astrophysicist.

DH and I cleaned the back porch today. I wiped stuff and he hosed. Durn frogs make a mess all over. There's a Hoar ders marathon on tv tonight. Maybe I'll get inspired to do something around here.

Long conversation with DH this afternoon. I now know more about what he did in that war. We talked about what our old age is going to look like (like we're not there right now). He said what he thought best and I told him what I'd prefer. I don't know if I convinced him of anything. But even a little conversation about it all is progress. Our immediate problem here is that he's got himself "attached" to this house in a way he's never done before. That keeps us from being able to move on. Oh well...

Return to “Post When You Can”