Saturday - Season-ing

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Saturday - Season-ing

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat May 30, 2020 4:54 pm

Windy outside here too. There was a scramble to get the pinwheels and the lettuce onto the floors. The plastic owl had a brief flight (thankfully back onto the balcony, not forward!) That was a surprise because it was weighted down and bungee-corded in place.

I've been working hard since my last post and have the vacuuming 1/2 done and the dining table redone. I took off the table cloth from my dmil and made the table smaller. That means I can have both dining room archway doors open since there's enough room to between the open door and the table now that the table is smaller. It could still sit 8 but a bit more crowded. Doesn't matter though, it will be a long time until there will be gets, in real life, at this table. That's very depressing.

Anyway, I missed the wood so I put the sounding cloth and a table cloth on one end only and the other end is the mahogany. I'm going to try and get better about using this work station for Quicken work plus Facebook, Reddit, and Skype for communications and social media, and do everything else over on my new computer.

I still have the kitchen and office to vacuum, floor mopping to do, and cleaning the kitchen and bathroom. I have the table cloth I took off in soak as it had some stains (2 from me, the rest were pre-existing.)

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Sat May 30, 2020 5:10 pm

Supposed to have dinner at dd's around 6. She's been smoking a pork butt for pulled pork. However, the weather is certainly looking 'iffy'. We've had pouring rain and wind off and on here today and it's quite cool.

DD and I went shopping earlier. Got home about 15 minutes before the skies opened up. Hopefully she's been able to run the smoker today. She went to L owe's this week & bought a new one just like the one she has in FL. Also picked up a couple bags of pellets (hickory & apple) and a P it B oss cover for it. She loves using hers down there. She hemmed and hawed about whether to buy it. All I said was 'enjoy yourself'. She has an account at a bank up here where she deposits all their 'wind fall $'. So she figures she used some of her NHL $$ and had decided that yes, life is too short. She wants to do ribs but hasn't found any to buy yet that looked good and/or were affordable. DDIL-R told her to look at B J ' s when we go.

Spent some time getting our E Z pass for NY thruway, etc updated to our 'new' credit card. Of course I didn't have the correct password and I guess I have it all done now. Have others I need to update but not till later this year. Oh maybe one -for S irrius. I noticed the new statement of an upcoming payment was in "informed Digest" for USPS the other day. I'll pick up the mail probably Monday or Tuesday. Dh has a 'face time' appointment with his pulmonologist Monday morning. That's how they're doing their appointments right now if they don't have new problems. I do want him to ask about allergy testing. He gets SO bad in FL once the pollen starts.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sat May 30, 2020 5:21 pm

We have a/c again! It was once again caused by dogs chewing wires. It is crazy how much protection we have built around the o/s units but the dogs still manage somehow. I am grateful our local HVAC company responds on the weekend.

I'm hopeful we can have an evening with as little activity as possible. I am working on catching up on the course I'm taking. I'm on the last week of it and would like to finish it.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Sat May 30, 2020 7:57 pm

Just an idle question, Lady M -dd has A merican H ome S hield ( I think that's the name of the insurance). It costs them about $400/year, but they've more than covered that cost by them doing replacement work on fans, oven, stove, fridge, AC most of all. Think there's a $75 cover charge but then everything else is pretty much covered.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Sat May 30, 2020 8:36 pm

Hmmm... I have wondered how that insurance worked, Dee. As our house gets older, problems begin to multiply. I don’t want to (and certainly can’t afford to!) move and build again but boy... a brand new, sparkling clean, untouched home certainly would has its appeal sometimes!
Tomorrow is another day.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sat May 30, 2020 8:50 pm

Dee - I'm not sure what your questions is. Maybe if home repair warranty is worth it? We have several friends who are strong advocates of having home warranty and they would not be without it.

I ran the numbers a couple of times and didn't see a benefit for us especially considering what we would be giving up. I prefer to put that monthly warranty payment into a savings account and treat it as a fund to use in repairs. So far we have always come out ahead (but that could change!).

When we bought this house it came with a year paid of a home warranty. I tried a couple of times during that year to use the warranty and it didn't work for the items needed so the year of paid warranty was a total loss. Something that matters to me is being able to choose my own contractor/local repair people that we are comfortable with vs getting a stranger from the big city. I am 99.9% sure a big city HVAC company wouldn't have made the drive on a weekend to service our a/c today. The HVAC company that we have used for years located in our small town has always responded within a couple of hours.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Sat May 30, 2020 9:03 pm

Something that matters to me is being able to choose my own contractor/local repair people that we are comfortable with vs getting a stranger from the big city. I am 99.9% sure a big city HVAC company wouldn't have made the drive on a weekend to service our a/c today. The HVAC company that we have used for years located in our small town has always responded within a couple of hours.

Definitely part of dh's reluctance towards these home warranty companies, LadyM. When the electrician/plumber is a former employee of dfil's and has been a friend for most of dh's life, there's no way he'd give him up.
Tomorrow is another day.

Sunny

Postby Sunny » Sat May 30, 2020 9:45 pm

Hello Everyone.

Happy Anniversary to Harmony and Dh! I lost count and didn't remember how many years. I remember that day well!

Glad your a/c is working again, Lady M. Dson finally put ours on again on Thursday. It was just too humid here. Temp. for this coming Wednesday is supposed to hit 93*.

Not much new with me here. I did get one more item checked off my Need To... list. Thursday I went to the bank and took care of business there. It took two hours; lady said "her computer was slow today." I will have to go back and add my dson's name to the accounts; I don't want to be on them alone.

Today would have been dgson-C's official graduation day. Of course the public ceremony didn't happen. Dson and ddil did some extra things to help make it a little special. Yesterday dson, ddil, dgrson and I went to lunch at a Mexican place called El Gran Charro; we ate outside on their patio. After that we took a ride to his high school. The school had printed posters with each graduate's senior picture, 420 I think, lined them up on the school's driveway roads so the parents and students could find their graduate and stop to take pictures. Several of dgrson's friends were there at the same time, so we got pictures of them together. After that he had to go to work!

Dson worked most of the day today putting trim and baseboard up in the bathroom. It looks really nice in there; he does a really good job on his projects. His fitbit says he has been up and down 63 flights of stairs today! :shock:

Dgd22-H came over yesterday evening. She spent some time doing an assignment for one of her classes, got that emailed to teacher. Then after everyone went up to bed we sat up until 3 a.m. and talked. It was a nice visit. She was gone by the time I got up at 9 a.m.

We had pizza for supper. Dson is working on the trim again. I am going to get ready for bed.
Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible. --- Francis of Assisi

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat May 30, 2020 10:31 pm

I got back to the housework in the evening and did the kitchen chores, including vacuuming and mopping the floor. The office needs a vacuum and mop and the bathrooms 'need' cleaning (not really, but I'll do them) and then last Monday/Tuesday's WHB is done! Obviously, I'll be skipping it on Monday.

Dh actually mopped for me, I got the bucket ready and realized I was exhausted so stopped.

The apartment looks quite a bit better.

Dd won't be coming over tomorrow. I had invited her but she said no. I've written back saying the offer stands.

I guess I'm off to bed now.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Sat May 30, 2020 11:00 pm

Good Job Kathryn

I seem to be reset into compulsory prayer mode today.
Don't ask. Its happened over a lifetime when there is a need.
Even before I know what the need is.

State rules loosening tonight. Instate travel and stopovers allowed.
Slight loosening of the 'rooms' and allowed people regs, and some other rules, but I want to see them in writing and hear from 'horses mouth' premier.

Kathryn says bathroom.
I'll do more than look at it.
That's the plan.
Needs action

Season = beautiful sunny day, officially last day of autumn.
Suddenly its footy season. As a different thing, I'm listening to the radio. rugby league version footy.
Sometimes its on tv as well, out of sinc with the radio, which would tell me to watch the exciting bits.
They changed the rules for footy too, and its so fast, reminds me of watching a footy festival at high school.
NZ team moved over here, all the teams/ families seem to be in 'team' isolation for the duration.
Away teams fly in and straight out. All seem based on east coast which will ease the jet lag time warp.
NZ families, with a mob of newborn, there is talk they are moving over too. Maybe not the freshest babe.
Last night there was a threat of fog which threatened a return flight, :evil: over a landing spot, but finally they could go back to home base safely.
Journos are off limits on the 'dirty side of the arena', need a long boom mike for interviews.
Footy is not so annoying, or maybe its my mood. I didn't think the footy would happen, to be honest.
Those loss of personal freedoms for players and all in the 'bubble' is the only way it has been allowed to happen.

Getting outside needs to be part of my plan today also. sun comes and goes.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Return to “Post When You Can”