Groundhog Day PWYC - 2 Feb

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Groundhog Day PWYC - 2 Feb

Postby Nancy » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:49 pm

I am try to get us to the next page......yea! It worked.
I am trying to get the weekly stuff done so I can work on a project Fri. / Sat. I have a dresser to paint, fun I am looking forward to that I have the top of it already done. It is blue & I decided white would go better. :mrgreen:
I got the steps swept in the carport and a few leaves next to the trash can also in the carport.
Last edited by Nancy on Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:58 pm

Quiet day, I've never gotten much "get up and go" going. I suspect it is the "lost thing" hanging over me? I thought I might feel better after I got the discussion/study group off my mind but really didn't.

Dd called and she was contacted about one of the jobs she applied for. Fingers crossed for her.

I walked and fed the dog.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:15 pm

Went to that giant box store. Got dh's meds. He also asked if I could bring home the gyro tray from the meat section. Some people call them Donairs. It's sliced mystery meat with pitas, sauce, onions and cherry tomatoes. I got that. On the way out of the parking lot, I called my favourite Greek restaurant to order a salad to go with the gyros, and they weren't going to be opened for another hour. So I stopped at a grocery store and bought Feta cheese and kalamata olives. When I got home I sliced up a cucumber and some green pepper. I also got a bucket of chicken wings at that big box store.

All of the meds and groceries have been put away. Supper has been enjoyed.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:22 pm

I tried to get here on lunch break but that was cut short. It has been a good day but with very short breaks.

I am sitting with DD9 while she finishes up her school assignment. Hopefully, we can get school done by 5pm.

My plan for the day was made when I got up this morning....
** Weather = 61/38F 10-21mph Sunny
** Project of the Day = Cut hanging limbs from the huge tree in the back corner of the yard. Dispose of the big limbs and then rake the yard around the tree to gather the smaller limbs/twigs.
** Fun, satisfying, feels good = being in the sunshine. The sense of accomplishing a project is a plus.
** Life Skill taught = Time management
** On the menu today = BBQ pork chops, baked potatoes, summer squash, green beans with bacon
** On the schedule today =
    -- 10am Meet with church treasure about a discrepancy in their financial report.
    -- Homeschool

-- Epic school
    -- 2pm Hair cuts for both kids
    -- 3:30pm DH & my time (walk)

Life skills = Time management
DD9 asked why did you tell Alexa to set an alarm for 1:30?
Me: Because you have a haircut appt at 2pm. I don't want to get busy doing other things and miss the appointment. Calendars and Alexa reminders are both tools to help doing things on time.

DS12 is starting to do detailed scheduling of his day using google calendar. He said it makes him feel good. He was eager to get started on today's school work because he wanted to create more free time during the daytime. He chose to work ahead doing today's school work last night.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:34 pm

All of yesterday's pots, pans, etc. are done and put away. Because I spilled something wet on myself when we were sitting at the table, I had to do another load of laundry.

Realized after putting everything away that I forgot to get paper towels at that big box store. I still have 3 rolls, so it can wait until next Monday or Tuesday. It's not like we go through them at a rapid pace.

Dishwasher is empty.

I cleared all the smoothie ingredients off of the island. Dh hasn't been drinking smoothies at all lately and I am sick of looking at all the packages of seeds and nuts. Now everything is in the pantry.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:44 pm

Hello. It's really cold here, going down to 39° by morning and I'm sure y'all are going :roll: at that, but it's cold for US! Since we're going to stay cold for a couple more days at least I suggested we put a fire in the fireplace. So, that's what I'm doing right now, babysitting the fire, adding wood as needed. Our wood is getting old and burns quickly and some of it actually falls apart, so we need to use it up before we find some new around here somewhere. People stack it up at the road for pickup and if it's hardwood we'll ask and pick it up to use here. They are glad to have us take it away. Not many fireplaces around here. Most fires are in outside pits.

I came by this morning, but didn't have anything to say!

Went to store to pick up 3 Rx's for DH. I get his at the smaller store because I really like how the smaller pharmacy operates. The people there are nicer and service is quicker. I noticed that store was really all stocked well, even house brands, so I went up and down the aisles getting things I was running low in. I noticed the shoppers there were all pleasant and there was not a big crowd. There were more checkout clerks so I was very pleased. I think I might change where I shop for a while. It's less than 5 minutes from where I usually shop.

Did a mess of paperwork. Ready to run dishwasher. Long conversation with DD tonight, very nice. Ok, back to my fireplace!

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:54 pm

Mmmmm... a nice fire sounds so good, Harmony! And 39 IS cold -- for me at least! I think it was 30 degrees when I took the dgrands to school this morning. We made it fine, minus one earring. :roll: I relayed THAT story in J&C so won't repeat here. I was just glad ddil didn't seem too aggravated with ME about it. :roll:
And of course, all the groundhogs around here saw their shadows on this bright clear morning, but I saw a meme that said:
"Six more weeks of winter.
Unless you're in the South.
Your weather does its own thing."
:lol:

I am always so embarrassed when the subject of fireplaces comes up. A person with a fireplace she never uses is no better off than a person with no fireplace. 35 years we've been here and never used our fireplace. :oops: :roll:

I do hate it when the temps get below the mid 40s... but as I mentioned a few days ago, we all know I'll be suffering sinus problems again as soon as the trees and grasses start blooming... so, it's kind of a no-win situation as far as my comfort zone.
And... signed dgs up for baseball, so there will be lots of days/nights when I am called upon to attend practice in cold weather OR sneeze-inducing weather. But he said he wanted to play, and as long as he wants to give it a go, we want to encourage him to do so. He is not going to be the most skillful player, that's for sure, especially after missing last year entirely -- BUT -- the whole town missed last year entirely, so he's not THAT far behind, I guess.
He does seem to LOVE basketball, and is getting a lot of good use out of his Christmas present -- the goal we got him. He has never played basketball in a youth league, but I think he will next year. We are surprised -- he couldn't dribble with any control at all six months ago, and he is doing very well now.

Kathryn -- you mentioned sleep-overs with the dgrands. Now we have to offer equal time to dgd, and we just almost can't deal with both of them together, so Friday is dgd's night and Saturday is dgs'. Except last night they both stayed because ddil had an early morning appt for an endoscopy, and probably tomorrow night they will both stay because school is VIRTUAL again here, for the next week. :roll: (Probably because of shortage of substitutes. DGD was virtual a full week, went back for 2 days, virtual again.) DDIL is working W & TH nights, so she asked if we could take the dgrands on Thursday to allow her to sleep.
And we'll probably have them both next Tuesday, because ddil takes her FINAL nursing exam the 10th! * Put her on your J&C prayer lists too! * :D
She's nervous, but she has done well on everything so far, so I believe she will pass it.

Harmony, we get all our prescriptions at a small, independent drug store, and I wouldn't take anything for their service! The owner is the son of two (now deceased) pharmacists, whom I worked for as a teen, and who were good friends of my grandfather's. In their day, they had two tables set up and men my grandfather's age sat around and drank coffee during their lunch breaks and before and after work. They were wonderful, and everyone knew you could call them at home and they would come open up to refill something if a person had an emergency after hours. Their son is the same way -- although I think now you have to call the store and he has an answering service that alerts him -- but I know when I had shingles on that Sunday afternoon, I mentioned to him that I had gotten the meds at Wmart. He said, "You should have called. I'd be glad to come up here for you." I still get most of my OTC stuff at Wmart, but there is no substitute for personal service and pharmacists who know your family & your history.

* Good luck to Twins' dd!!! * Hope she gets the job!

WTG with your projects, Nancy. I wish I liked to paint, and had some confidence in refinishing furniture and things like that. I have little "telephone table" I got from my paternal grandparents' home, and I think sometimes that it would look cuter painted. I definitely need to sand and clean and repaint my patio furniture. It is HORRIBLE.

Happy "anniversary" to Rose and Sweetie! :D

I know what you mean, Cathy... Groundhog Day over and over and over. :roll:

Ha! THAT is ONE reason a person like me has very little use for a planner. Elizabeth, I saw your suggestion that it might make a good gift for someone. Well... that would be an excellent idea... except I already wrote in the month of February and the current week. I'm going to try to use it for a month and see how it goes. If it doesn't suit me, I'll give it to dgs. He is ALWAYS wanting paper -- although he prefers blank computer paper to draw on, it will be better than nothing.

Today, dh and I went to Next Town and dropped off our tax info with the accountant. Didn't actually SEE the accountant, because he is quarantining from Covid. He's not sick but his wife and daughter are. He was in the office but said we wouldn't want to be close to him, so we just put it through the mail slot in the door. Then dh ate at his favorite greasy spoon hamburger place, and I got pizza. Then we came home and took a LONG nap. I didn't even hear ds when he came in to get the dgrands' iPad and stuff from yesterday.
DH didn't eat supper and I ate the last piece of pizza. * It was a SMALL pizza, but I'm still over my FitBit calorie count.

After my nap, I wasted probably two hours, just scrolling through my phone, reading lists of "songs that don't mean what you thought," "songs about true murders," and even "songs that were likely written about Taylor Swift." (I don't even listen to Taylor Swift OR any of the guys she dates! :lol: )
So I think I get the prize for the donwannas today... shaking my head...

I did manage to order dmom's bday gifts from A mazon. Two more silk pillow cases and a H urrycane. :!: She said she needed one. I asked her if that wasn't sorta a back-handed compliment of a gift, and she said, "No, because I need one." LOL -- dh said, "Well, you got me one for Christmas." I said, "Yep, like Oprah, 'you get a hurrycane and YOU get a hurrycane; EVERYBODY gets a hurrycane.'"
I don't really know why dmom wants one -- she has a footed-cane. She says hers has no flexibility, and the foot part is larger than the foot of the hurrycane. I think she bumps her own foot into it? Plus, the hurrycane is foldable, so, easier to manage in certain situations.
The silk pillowcases are for her bed. I got her one for her couch pillow at Christmas and she LOVES it. She says she truly does believe it has helped improve the condition of her hair. She was very concerned about losing hair and her hair having a "flat" look on the side she habitually lies on, and this really does seem to have helped, according to her.
So -- no charge for those product recommendations. ;)

I need to be ironing, but that is going to have to wait till tomorrow. I'm going to exercise and start reading my new library app book. (I am also still reading the Harper Lee book, but it is my own hardcover copy, and I will probably not be able to re-check this library book after 13 days... so... gotta get with it! It has been on the best-seller lists, I think -- The Vanishing Half, by Brit Bennett. I saw it recommended in USAToday, and it looked good.)

Waving to LadyM and Dee!
Waving to EVERYBODY!!! :D
Tomorrow is another day.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:28 am

Lucylee, we are like the medical supply company here with all our equipment. DH has a cane, crutches, 2 different kinds of walkers, all sorts of plastic gizmos they give men who end up in the hospital and all sorts of foam cushions and pillows for different situations. We gave our 'people mover' wheelchair (with the small wheels) and the regular wheelchair to the landfill because the rubber on the wheels was all dry-rotted and there was a lot of rust there; we also gave the potty chair (used never) to the landfill because it was all rusted underneath where the legs fitted into it; and the high extended commode seat. A whole cupboard of stuff.

A friend lent us the knee roller he used for some weeks then returned; another friend lent us a rollater which DH used a lot and still uses outside to lean on when he pulls weeds. So in order to give that one back we ordered a new one online last week and it came yesterday and we put it together.

People must think we look decrepit or something because we're the repository for all used medical equipment!

RRose, hope you had a nice dinner and congratulations on your years together and married.

I'm still babysitting the fireplace. Got a nice big fire going (our fireplace burn area is unusually big) and I think I'll sleep out there so I can tend to it during the night.

Return to “Post When You Can”