PWYC Monday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
CathyS

Re: PWYC Monday

Postby CathyS » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:46 pm

Dh put the liver in the freezer yesterday, so I defrosted some hamburger meat and we had pasta and meat sauce. Dh also started a new "insulin" today (starts with an "O" and it's really expensive.) and for the first time since we got married, he only had 1 serving at supper because he felt full and didn't actually have any appetite before supper and he was sleepy. I'm going to have to keep an eye on symptoms and reactions, etc. He only needs to take 1 dose per week.

I have crumbled up paper all over the floor of the pantry/office and I don't feel like picking it up.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:07 pm

Harmony, what brand washer did you get? Everyone says Speed Queen is the best on the market, if one is looking for an old-fashioned simple washer.
Dmom said she was Just About Ready to drive to Next Town TODAY and get one on its way to her, but then she started doing laundry in hers, which has been leaking out the TOP -- and it is a top load washer -- but suddenly, it stopped doing that. :roll:

So -- I am running a 34 minute rinse and spin cycle, with nothing in the washer, to make sure all the cat hair is gone.

Sent ddil a picture of the lovely white furry jacket she had bought dgd... which came out of the wash looking like it had been washed with blue jeans and or blue towels. :cry: :evil: :roll: :?
I told ddil, I don't know HOW this happened -- it was on cold, with nothing in with it except white, gray, and very pale pink items. (Some of the gray items had screen-printed designs, but all have been washed many, many times.) I was surprised -- ddil just said, "It's okay. It may have been on there before."

It's not like dgd NEEDS another jacket, anyway...

Supper eaten, dishes washed...
DH wants to go over to ds' house to use OUR tire pump, which ds has been holding on to. We both have tires that have very slow leaks. DS is waiting for the next stimulus check in order to buy new tires. (He got a notice in the mail that it should be direct deposited into his account by today, actually.) We need to make an appt with Wmart, where we bought these tires, because we haven't had them that long and it's crazy that they already have a problem. We think it something around the valve stem.

Wow -- Cathy -- I hope that new medicine works well for your dh -- it sounds great -- to be able to take it only once a week... and have a reduced appetite? I wish I could have a reduced appetite.

OH -- I told y'all I would give you a book review. The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennet was pretty good. The subject matter is a bit questionable -- a side plot involves drag queens and someone transitioning his/her sexual identity -- but it was interesting. The main plot, I think I told y'all before, is about black twin girls, who are extremely light-skinned. One chooses to "pass" as white and they are separated for many years.

Now I am back to my hard cover book about Harper Lee's last, unfinished novel, based on a true murder case here in Alabama. It's good too -- Twins, didn't you say you had read it? But for some reason, I cannot read nearly as fast with a real book anymore, as I can on my phone. I would never in a million years thought I would say that.

Twins, your genealogy work must be so interesting, but frustrating too. We have some puzzling trails in our family tree that run into dead ends. DS has done all the online work he can, but some things, we just have to sorta assume who the people were and let it go at that.
Tomorrow is another day.

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:14 pm

I picked up the crumbled paper and started a new bag. If this keeps up, I will need to go and get even more bags that I can burn, AKA paper bags from the dollar store. Last week the woman asked what I needed "ALL these bags" for. I told her I was buying them to burn old paperwork in. I will go to a different location this week. 1 of the bags was way too big, so I won't do that again. Some were too small, but they were okay.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:24 pm

Cathy - that sounds like one of DH diabetic meds (ozempic). It is a once a week shot. He has been on it for a couple of years and it seems to be working well for him.

Our area started giving c19 shots to another phase of people this week. I'm seeing reports from friends receiving appointments because they are considered to be high risk. An 18 year old with Down Syndrome and 40'ish women that has obesity (mild). Also new this week is a local privately owned pharmacy is now giving c19 vaccines. No need to drive to a central location, this pharmacy is in our tiny town. From my limited viewpoint, it appears they are about to open it to anyone who wants a vaccine.

DS12 and a friend are working on go-cart outside in freezing weather. They can pull it into the shop and work on it there but for whatever reason, they haven't'. I think they are trying to see who can last the longest. They claim it isn't cold. Of course, they are coming inside and warming up while making these "it's not cold" claims. :roll: I told them frostbite is real and they will be very unhappy when their fingers and toes fall off. I might have exaggerated a tiny bit to get their attention.

I bought a Speed Queen washer about 7-8 years ago and absolutely love it. If/when it breaks I will buy another Speed Queen.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:05 pm

My walk was scary got my heart going two dogs came at me and my dog, I did not havemy walking stick with me. The o e was growling snarling and showing his teeth, I tried to kick at it but it went for my foot.I yelled for the owners to come out and get their dogs. The other guy in the house behind me
Came out and help me chase them off the guy at the house the dogs came fomnr call them back. The guy that helped me said they had called to report them, and other neighbors had too. I yelled at the guy said there was a leash l aw here and I was calling t he cops. Iknow after like three calls the they have to make the owners take action. The one dog was not the instgator on e not bitey. I finished my walk and got a good sized stick on the way back when I went by that house I showed them the stick. I decided to pray and call when I was not all worked up.

[ I have been coloring to calm myself down.]

Di ner is on the oven.
I made up some dip.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:35 pm

Oh my, (((Nancy))) -- that IS scary!
This is one reason dh quit walking -- his route always took him past some scary dogs -- and we don't have a leash law out here in the country.
(His arthritis is another big reason he doesn't walk any more, though -- can't blame it all on the dogs.)
Tomorrow is another day.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:47 am

Lucylee, mine is a GE GTW335. It's the closest I could find to the way a speed queen operates. That one appliance store actually had a couple speed queens but they were about a third more than the one we got. I'm happy with mine so far. It has a deep rinse cycle if one is using fabric softener. I always use that. I think on my laundry detergent (I think powder cleans the best) it says to mix (dissolve) in water first before pouring it in so I do that.

Lucylee, an hour and 1/2 is a long time for a load to run. I never timed mine but it must be 30-40 min tops unless I have it on whites which gives it an extra soak. My front loader took forever which was annoying.

Nancy, sorry about the dogs. I know that makes me nervous when I am riding my bicycle around. So far all the dogs that are running around without leashes are behind fences but they sure bark at us a lot. There used to be a couple rottweilers at one house behind fences but they're not there any more. The other house had 2 rotty's and they'd be tied out with cloth leashes and we didn't ride past that house because of them. All the other dogs we see are little ones. Except the ones people are walking. So far so good.

We had a neighbor (before he moved away) used to walk with a golf club in his hand. I wonder if he'd had a bad experience before?

I talked with my cousin tonight (JT, Sunny). He says there are NO vaccines to be had in Pennsylvania. They are being given to prisons and nursing homes. He is older than me. Makes me feel bad for him. He's a cancer survivor.

I wasn't a fan of Harper Lee's book they published... not nearly as good as the first one she wanted printed. There's a lot of controversy about how they talked her into publishing that other one. My friend who moved away was an English teacher in HS and she hated how they made the lawyer in that book. It sure gets its share of bad reviews. I read it because I wanted to know what everyone was talking about. Kinda like the Jane Austin movie they made of her last unfinished book. She never wrote a story that didn't end happily and they made a very sad ending to this unfinished one.

So far so good. I had a nice nap, but I usually do after a busy day. Time for bed.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:55 am

Checking in; got the coloring sheet done it helped.
Dinner and dishes are done put away dishes too.
I did 5,518 steps so far I will plug in phone in a minute time to shut is down for the night.
I did a swish and swipe on the bathrooms today.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:50 am

Harmony, that is terrible about the vaccines in PA! I hope they get more SOON!

The book I’m reading isn’t BY Harper Lee — the author is Casey Cep — the name of it is Furious Hours. I think the author took notes Harper Lee made while attending this trial, and wrote the book based on those notes. It reads more like non-fiction. Well — I think it would be in the non-fiction section of the library.

But — I read the second Harper Lee novel that you are talking about. Yep. Totally agree with your opinion on that one. It was like Atticus Finch was a totally different person. I hated it!

Clean sheets on the bed.

My laundry is finally hanging to dry.

I’m watching Blue Bloods from Friday night.

Whew. Life is good.
Tomorrow is another day.

Return to “Post When You Can”