SALUBRIOUS SATURDAY

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
DeeClutter
Administrator

SALUBRIOUS SATURDAY

Postby DeeClutter » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:39 am

salubrious adjective something healthy or pleasant beneficial, curative, wholesome
That's our village in a nutshell, is it not?
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

DeeClutter
Administrator

Re: SALUBRIOUS SATURDAY

Postby DeeClutter » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:42 am

Got up about 6:45 for a bathroom trip and my thyroid med. Didn't get back up (mostly because dh was in the bathroom) until nearly 9am.

Pouring here, but we need it I'm sure. Actually have unplugged my computer as it's thundering/lightning out. Hoping it gets the rain out of the way so when dbil does the yard sale for dd/dsonil next weekend perhaps it'll be 'nice'.

DD brought home collard greens from school (grown in their lab) to fix for dsonil. She's decided it's a once in a lifetime chore -several hours in the making. Happy Valentine's Day!

So I drift back and forth between thinking I am just useless if I cannot/do not DO all these THINGS...
and then thinking WHY do I CARE??? The house is neat and company-ready almost all the time and NO ONE gives a rip if I vacuum even every two weeks or not. No one cares if I dust. No one cares if I clean bathrooms.
Now, I know, if these things are not done at least somewhat regularly, they become mountains instead of molehills and take ten times as long... so it is important to "keep up" on some sort of regular routine. But these things do NOT have to be done Every Single Day... so making them HABITS is difficult.
I just wondered if anyone else struggles with this sort of thing.
Yes, I struggle somewhat with the same thing -here at any rate, Lucylee -not so much up north. I find myself just shaking my head as I throw away a used paper towel dsonil has left on the counter (constantly), or the mess in his corner of the living room, etc, etc, etc. Then there's the mess from dog toys and things torn apart (toys that is). Find it hard to bend over and do the picking up any more. I don't vacuum as I can't manage the cleaner. Dh will do it or dd. I dread looking forward to S tanley S teamer coming to do the living room/kitchen. I don't know why as I certainly won't be moving things. But yes, I do struggle with that 'useless' feeling sometimes. So, I try to keep our quarters as neat and tidy as possible. Though I must admit right now our bathroom needs a very good sweep and mop.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:21 am

Yes Dee I am trying to keep up a routine as well. I put my daily list today in my bujo. I need to do that each week to refer to.
Bs was perfect today. Yea!
19* snowing we have 4" they still have not plowed here on our street. 24* hi to day 1- 4 more inches expected,
snow this week 4 of 7 days. A break mid week.

The dog training show is not on.
S2s x

So glad I do not have wood heat to deal with.
Thawed out veg. And turkey broth soup in the crock pot today for meals.

Today seems sort of like ground hog day here! LOL. :)
Waving to all who follow.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:27 am

Morning...

I certainly don’t clean the way I did when I was younger and had more people living in my home. One thing I don’t do weekly is mop my entire home. It’s not needed as much though I do a quick spot job when needed. And my guest bedroom gets a quick once over because no one is using it.

However my office looks amazing!!! It took me a while to do this because I put a long of thinking time decluttering and reorganizing. But, one thing I have discoverer over my entire home is if I take the time to think and then find the proper home for items, the area stays that way with little effort on my part. My desk drawers that I worked on over two years ago still look like the way I did them over two years ago. I can say the same for many other parts of my home as well.

I woke with a nagging headache this morning and am waiting for the meds and coffee to kick in. The only thing written on my daily list to do is vacuum and exercise which I can do later today or tomorrow if necessary. At bedtime I’ve started writing in a small notebook that I am keeping
by my bedside and jotting down 5 things I want to accomplish the next day.

I find I am liking this system and it seems to be working. I am also trying to limit when I start to look at my social media because I realized it was eating up much of my productive time. When I stopped to think why I was able to do so much more in my mornings when I was younger I came to the conclusion that I didn’t have my phone in my life. Light bulb moment! It’s been tough to do, but well worth the effort.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:45 am

Hi!

We went and got fresh fruits and vegetables in Niagara Falls. Came home and put them away. Did a load in the washing machine and it's finished. Need to turn on the dishwasher and flip the clothes into the dryer.

We have been eating so many navel oranges this winter. I think we are going through at least 7 per week and sometimes more. We will share the orange sometimes and other times it's 1 each but together at the same time.

I read about some of you having guest bedrooms and numerous bathrooms and I realize that just having a tiny home with no basement and no upper floors or guest rooms is perfect for dh and I. On the other hand, there are numerous hotels and motels and B&Bs within a short drive if anyone ever needed a place to sleep.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:47 am

Glad Dee remembered to comment because I might have forgotten otherwise. Lucylee, the only way I'm getting WHB done is to set aside the day for it and you don't have the luxury of setting aside a day a lot of the time. Zone work - I'm struggling with it. By the time I do the WHB I'm just "done." I can't seem to manage even 15 min daily on zone work. I adapted the zone work list that we have to fit my house better, and for awhile posted it on my Google calendar. But I rarely got to it, so don't feel bad Lucy.

I have laundry going. I am following WHB by washing all the white cleaning clothes and other whites so I have a fresh supply. I go through a lot of them. Dcleaning lady preferred paper towels and I hated them used for routine cleaning. (There are some yucky cleaning uses of them tho.)

Gonna play genealogy today, I hope.

Oh, and we no longer have FL houseguests coming in March. I was almost sick because we had agreed to host them for two nights, then dfriends asked us to go to the beach with them that week. So last night dh was talking to the FL friends and they are no longer coming, but dfriends who are going to the beach have already made arrangements to take the dgranddaughter and a friend. :( :( :(
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:03 pm

I agree with you Cathy about the size of the house. We could manage without all this space. Someday we will downsize and I think it should be a priority now, but DH is not ready. He will have to consider what to do with trucks and tools if we do this. So for now we stay and I have a lot to look after.

Wow watching the weather. OK Tuesday morning could be their coldest in 116 years. LadyM! Wow. And I see on the radar what Dee is talking about. We will get that later. Supposed to be all weekend like this in our state. Not good for DH who is working outside.

Salubrious is a great word! I've never used it.

Didn't do any routines last evening, Figured I didn't need to, nobody here but me and I can always catch up. Taking me twice as long this morning as a result. Plus I was waiting for my eyes to recover. Excuses, excuses.

It's only the 2 of us so you'd think I wouldn't have that much to do all the time. But DH's job is a "dirty" one and he makes a lot of dirty laundry and his shoes drag in a lot of sand/dirt and he is unable to take them on and off as he goes in and out. And he generates an insane amount of paper and he's a 'disorganized' person at heart... so I just have to keep at things. I should be more consistent with my zone chores...but like Lucylee, it looks ok on a daily basis for people to come in and I don't want to work ALL the time in here.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:15 pm

If I could I'd allocate more space in our house on the first floor and less on the second floor. We still use all our rooms, although dh isn't using his office so much anymore. I have the bonus room over the garage where I have a genealogy desk and bookcases and crafting desk and supplies. We also have the guest bedroom, that in my opinion I would prefer for my desks. It's at the top of our stairs and doesn't feel so far away, and is nearly the size of the size of the bonus room. The guest bedroom has better light too although the bonus room isn't bad with a gable facing the front with double windows and big windows to the side also where they face the next house, although there's no windows on their side. My workroom has a daybed also for another guest if needed, or for me to nap or watch a zoom.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:40 pm

Twins, why don't you just switch those rooms?

I use all these rooms too. My empty guest room isn't really empty, my sewing machine is in there and I use that. The dining room is used for all sorts of things and only occasionally for eating. Kitchen, yep with the table at the end which DH uses every morning for his reading. Family room we use a lot. Laundry room is storage and a lot of work gets done in there. 2 bedrooms get used, 1 is bigger than it needs to be. Extra closet in there gets used for gift wrapping, winter jackets, vacuum, etc., office yes a lot of work and storage, living room is the least used but it is also entry and a space for me when DH is too noisy in family room, though if I put a comfy chair in my bedroom I could use that...

It makes me nervous that all these rooms are used, and how will we downsize. I keep trying to clean out stuff and pare down, but there's all this furniture.

Ok, making progress. 1 LOL folded and hung and put away. Need to finish that bedroom. 1 LOL washed and hanging out. It looks like rain, it's under a roof but I'll have to watch in case it gets blowey. Desk is straightened out. Kitchen looks better. So much to do I don't know what to tackle next.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:48 pm

Dh wants to keep the guest room for guests. Like we've had so many the last year, but still that's what he wants so I gave way. :roll: :roll: :roll: The guest room does have better bathroom access because the upstairs bath is "jack and Jill" except that the other side opens to the hall so there's hall access from the bonus room and other bedroom. There is a vanity on each side. At this point there would be a lot of moving and wall patching too.

I do enjoy the room I'm using up here, I'd just like to be closer to downstairs.

Return to “Post When You Can”