Mardi Gras!

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
CathyS

Mardi Gras!

Postby CathyS » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:44 am

Happy "Fat Tuesday!"
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

CathyS

Re: Mardi Gras!

Postby CathyS » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:49 am

New Orleans had the weirdest Mardi Gras week ever, with NO parades. People decorated their homes as if they were the floats instead.

What kind of float would your house look like if you chose to decorate the outside? Today ours would be a giant snow drift with a blue car sticking out of it. My car is buried up to the top of the tires. Dh's truck isn't as bad.

No idea what supper will be. Lots of closures around here today. Thankfully I can shop my pantry and freezers.

Oh oh... I ran out of canned cat food yesterday. I'm sure I can get to a store later this afternoon after the plows and sanders go by. I have snow tires and dh has 4x4.

Have a fun day!
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:27 am

Good Morning!

We are at the point in this winter storm that it is going to start getting warmer from now on. Tomorrow it is supposed to get up to 17F. It sounds crazy to me to get excited about warming up to 17F but it is what it is.

DD9 teacher sent an email this morning with the message "Please remember that we are a virtual school, so we do not get inclement weather days."

** Weather = 12/-11F It currently feels like -7F 5-13mph Snow expected 4-8"
** Project of the Day = Extreme cold weather juggling - water faucets keep running, furkids extra care, snow cleanup as kids track it in
** Fun, satisfying, feels good = Enjoying the experience of so much snow.
** Life Skill taught = Weather events happen. Cope with it.
** On the menu today = Spaghetti with meat sauce & meatballs. Garlic bread and salad bar
** On the schedule today =
    ** Homeschool
    ** Epic School
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:29 am

Hi good morning - I had ankle surgery for my ankle breaking - so now I’m having help from both daughters which is great. My brother came and built me a ramp and put bars up-

I just wanted to say hi!!!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:31 am

Waving to Blessedw2!!
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:33 am

I love it, Cathy! Thanks for starting us!

Dh just took off for the dr office for a 9 am checkup, I was about to go crazy with him sitting here watching TV. :lol:

The usual here today: Finish a.m. routine, then genealogy. I have a meeting at 7 p.m. and a webinar to watch at 8 p.m.

I just s2s-ed and dried my hair, now out to walk the dog. Twenty one degrees, and snow flurries but not laying, of course.

OH bw2! So glad to see you posting! Hugs, take care of yourself!
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:09 am

My house float theme Ground Hogs Day.
Neighbors have long ice cicles hanging from their roof.

Trash is out to the curb.
1st round of clearing snow accomplished. Driveway patio & deck done!
24* cloudy outside noit currently snowing.

Today's Menu suggestion Ground Hog Stew!
Last edited by Nancy on Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:24 am

Morning...

LM... if you have no power or rolling power how can you dd’s teacher expect kids to do their work? As a teacher myself, I certainly am not a fan of her!

I worked hard yesterday with the horses and my body is feeling it. No complaining as my body needs this. I helped a gal move 12 bales of hay from the truck bed to the hay shed. That meant this old body had to hop up into the truck, pull of push a bale to the edge of the bed, hop down and grab the bale from under neath and carry it to shed where we had to stack it three bales high. Each bale weighs 100lbs!

Our horses were very frisky yesterday and it was a blast watching them running and playing with each other. Our oldest male horse is named Red and we believe he is somewhere around 20 years old. Recently we cut his food back as he was a bit over weight. We are now noticing he is much more active and playing with the youngsters.

Our youngest gelding, Peanuts, a male horse that’s been castrated, is not quite 2. He’s a mischievous boy who loves to move the corral panels with his nose and like a kid, and pester some of the other horses. Recently his attention has been directed to Red. He likes to come up behind Red and bump him in his rear.

Red has stepped up to the challenge and has begun to teach Peanuts his manners by sparring with him. This means they get mouthy with each other by biting and kicking then rearing up in a fighting posture. Then they run and chase each other. It’s not serious, just play fight.

What’s interesting is even though these males are now living in a controlled environment, this kind of behavior is what you would see with the WW’s. All this “play” is Red really teaching Peanuts how to be a lead stallion in the wild world.

If Peanuts was living in a band instead of our care center, he would soon be turned out by the bands lead stallion to live on his own. Two year old stallions in a band are perceived as a threat to the bands lead stallion. Once these These young stallions leave, they are called bachelors and often band together until they become stronger and older. At some point they will leave their buddies and begin to try and steal mares from other bands. In order to do this, he must fight the lead stallion for her. If he wins, the mare is his. He will steal other mares and produce his own band with the foals he produces.

Some of the bigger and stronger stallions have a band of 10-12 mares, and theses stallions will keep their family together for sometime 15 years. Shadowfax and Neimann were two such ledgondary stallions.

What we have been watching with Red and Peanuts is Nature at play.

I get my shot today and am anxious to see how I do.

Cathy ... if you go to my FB page you will see how I decorate my home for my Mardi Gras parties...
Last edited by Ramblinrose on Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:13 pm

if you have no power or rolling power how can you dd’s teacher expect kids to do their work?

This is what DD9 teacher said in today's email about power outages & school "If you lose power or something out of your control hinders your ability to work, you must contact me ASAP! I constantly lose power at my house which creates many problems. BUT, I, too, have to figure out how to still get my work done. So, if you can’t work one day, that means you will have to make it up as soon as you can."

My experience with virtual school.........schoolwork assignments MUST be completed regardless of weather, extra activities, or sickness. We can ask for extra time to complete them but not doing them is not an option. In this respect, virtual school is a more complete education. In B&M school the teacher can cover a subject and then move on whether the students know it or not. The B&M teacher can give a student a pass on doing schoolwork if they have other activities or snow days. In virtual school, you don't skip anything and each student works at their own pace. They can't move on until have exceeded a score of 80% on the skill test.

No weekly trash pickup due to the weather. What to do with all this trash stacked up is a challenge.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:10 pm

I just saw a thing that said W.H.O new guidelines is saying schools should stay as they are for the rest of the year.

I have s2s hair is dry now. Had low carb. Bfast.
More coffee.

I am amazed that dgd is doing great in hybrid school even with out her own computer.
Morning classes are cancelled here today.

Got out my yarn & knitting yesterday but did not do any stitches.
I have other dish clothes made up ahead so no worries.

I am grateful for heat power & water for a shower!

Return to “Post When You Can”