Ash Wednesday 2021

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Harmony

Re: Ash Wednesday 2021

Postby Harmony » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:08 pm

I can't believe this weather. We are very fortunate here, though up in the panhandle they keep alerting for tornadoes. We're a little greyer than normal, but it's not snow! I was reading somewhere and there are millions of people without electric now. A lot of people in Texas have frozen swimming pool pumps, hose bibs, sprinkler systems, inside plumbing. They don't winterize down there and apparently aren't built for this kind of weather.

I remember the first year we were in FL, an outside hose bib froze up and that was where the main line was to come into the house. After that, when there's a freeze warning, I remember to wrap my water where it comes into the house. Up north we had a pump house built into a hillside and we used heat tapes around the pipes and bales of hay around all the exposed parts of the building. LadyM, I'm glad you didn't have any leaks when the pipes thawed out.

Of course, we make up for all this easy weather during hurricane season.

Just regular chores done so far plus my special job for today. My tummy is still on the fritz so I am not pushing myself to work hard around here. I'm really tired of this. It's been 3+ days.

GF called me from her car, she was in the line getting vaccine shot with her DH. She had put her paperwork somewhere in their car and couldn't find it. The appointment person told her even though she has a FL drivers license and has been a permanent resident for over 10 years that she should also bring a utility bill. That's not even state guidelines. They must be having more problems with non-residents coming to get vaccines here. RRose, I hope your symptoms go away quickly.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:21 pm

The appointment person told her even though she has a FL drivers license and has been a permanent resident for over 10 years that she should also bring a utility bill. That's not even state guidelines.
We at least have FL ID's but anything else we have that shows residency I'll add to a file to take with us if/when we ever get an appointment. Right now I don't think anyone is scheduling because of the lack of vaccine shipments.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:46 pm

CathyS. Thanks that part I did know.
Dson said to watch a video on how to put the truck in 4 wheel drive and do that too, and drive around the block so I did that. He said it was my lesson for today. We do not get this much snow only about once every 7-10 yrs. So it was a good time to pratoce. We had a good talk.and now I know. Yea!

I walked the dog.

My cousin said to keep 2 bags of kitty litter in rigs. Love that idea.
Last edited by Nancy on Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:55 pm

Good gracious things get complicated, don't they?

I'm glad Twins finally got in to her registration, and I certainly hope things work out for Dee & family with all the online stuff, especially vaccine appts!

Dmom had her little frustrations with the eye doctor this morning -- lady wanted her to come in TOMORROW. Dmom said, "I may very well be snowed in again tomorrow!" So they told her to come on, but they didn't know how long it would be till they could take care of her, and yes, she was supposed to start eye drops today in preparation for surgery Tuesday, but no, they couldn't call that rx in until she filled out all the paperwork at their office. (And the reason she didn't do this two weeks ago was because she couldn't decide on the new lens.) Well, anyway -- all is well that ends well -- she got over there and back and said she only had to sign and initial papers, and write them a pretty large check! (Medicare does not cover the fancy lens.) So she has returned to local pharmacy and got her drops and is back home now.

* Glad you're home safe, too, Nancy!

DGD appt with rheumatologist was as good as could be hoped. They did confirm that the arthritis is in her right knee again, but no where else, and told ddil to give her her shots once a month (she had been on a six month schedule) and that ddil could give more frequently if she felt necessary. DDIL said she thought she would give her another in two weeks, and then try monthly. But dgd feels fine, apparently -- although she complained that she had been getting shots "all day" and her arm hurt. (They did blood work today, also.)

DDIL has to work tonight and tomorrow night and is certainly hopeful that she can get back home to rest a little between times! The hospital would let her stay there but she doubts there would be much sleeping during day shift!
Of course, this means we will most likely have both dgrands tomorrow... we will see how that goes. I can't believe they will go back to school.
Our roads are clear as can be, but as I've told y'all before, there are a lot of hilly, rural roads in our county, and if buses can't get through those places, there will be no school.

UPDATE -- dgd just called -- school is cancelled; they are both spending the night. She and ds are coming over in an hour or so to eat supper with us, and then she will spend the night with dgs. I hope we get enough snow that they can go out and have some fun in it tomorrow. So far, it has been mostly ice and bitterly cold, and not enough snow to enjoy at all.

Elizabeth... hmmmm... dh COULD have a broken foot bone. * sigh * Getting him to go in for an x-ray might be difficult. I will tell him, however, and maybe if he is still in pain Friday, he will contact our family doctor. (Doctor is closed on Thursdays. Of course, with a winter weather event, he might stay closed Friday.)

He stands in the snow and just looks at me like I'm asking him to do something crazy when I beg him to come inside
LOL, LadyM... Of course, sled dogs in Alaska survive harsh temperatures, don't they? Surely Buddy will let you know if he is uncomfortable outside.

LadyM, I think fasting is the best way for me to really watch my diet, also, and I do pretty well with a 12-hour fast, but going beyond that to 16 hours IS tough. I never eat breakfast till after 11:00 a.m., and I can USUALLY stop eating by 11:00 p.m. -- but y'all know, we stay up LATE, and if I start thinking about it, I'll have a "weak spell" and think I just have to have a banana or some cheese and crackers.
I really need to stop eating at 7:00 p.m., or 8:00 p.m. at least, and that is hard.

My dh says his maternal grandmother practiced fasting and praying often. I don't know how long her fast would last -- his main example is when his uncle's appendix burst, and they thought he was going to die. I guess she prayed and fasted until they knew he was going to live. ?

(((Cathy))) Hugs for dealing with snarly people... shaking my head...

And hugs for (((Harmony))) with tummy trouble. Hope you feel better soon!

I will post anti-procrastination efforts in that thread. Not extremely successful today. :roll:
Tomorrow is another day.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:58 pm

Harmony ...aside from my joints aching especially my knees when I get up and down, my hips, the same and my elbows I am just feeling exhausted.

My sil, is a PA and she felt this way after her second shot.

When I registered for our shots I put the information in at the same time for Sweetie and me. Once I got in I only got confirmation and a date for me. A friend said same happened to her and she just took her husband with her and they vaccinated him as well.

When we got to the center I explained to the volunteer what had happened and she said... no problem, we’ll just mark him as a walk in!

We were asked if we had every experienced any reactions to any meds that caused us to need an epi-pen. I had to laugh. I said... honey I got hives so bad once as a reaction to some meds that my tongue swelled
Four times it’s size and the doctor come to my house to take care of me. Then she said.. but did he us and epi--pen on you when he got there?

To which I answered... Honey that was more than 60 years ago and epi-pens weren’t even invented, but he did give me a shot of adrenaline :lol: She didn’t know what to say to that but they flagged my car and made me stay 30 minutes instead of the 15 to make sure I didn’t have an allergic reaction to the shot.

We’re still wondering if you drove up to the center without an appointment if they would consider you a walk in and let you through.

All we needed was the printout of my appointment and our driver license to get our shots and before we left
Were given an appointment for our second shots.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:02 pm

Supper was so good.

News is on, but dh is out in the garage. When he comes in, I will go and sit with him.

Dh has started using closed captioning with the tv. He's been asking me what has been said, and sometimes I'm not paying really close attention, so I miss stuff. Here comes dh. See y'all later.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:20 pm

Surprised that dh isn't home yet.

I've walked the dog and started p.m. routine. I have chicken marinating to do on the George Foreman grill, and I'll roast asparagus and cut up strawberries for dessert.

I am considering what I did last week, which was to use Thursday for genealogy (again) and do WHB on Friday. I had originally moved it to Thurs so I could finish up and do what I wanted on Friday, but I found that too often I wasn't using Friday wisely. It was the end of the week, you know? If I leave cleaning until Friday it HAS to get done or I do more on the weekend. :lol:
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:36 pm

we used heat tapes around the pipes

That works if you have electricity to make the heat tape work. Our frozen pipes were inside the wall in the house. The only way we could access the pipes was to tear open the wall. When the pipes thawed, I watched for water to show up on the walls/floor and am very thankful the pipes didn't bust.

DH, DS12, and I've been taking turns shoveling snow that is knee-deep to get the walkway & driveway cleared. It is a good workout! I can only do it for about 10 minutes then my arms are tired because the weight of the snow is heavy.

It is 5:30pm and DD9 is still working on school assignments. I'm going to have her stop working soon whether she is finished or not. She isn't her typical focused self today. Hopefully, tomorrow will be a better day for her.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:38 pm

Hi again everyone! Today did NOT go as planned. I got the meetings transcribed but before I could assemble the test cases, I got a high priority request from a big boss. Got that done and sent a request for ancillary info to a coworker. However, that was sent at 4:55, so I doubt he saw it and certainly would not answer it! I sent it that late only so I would not forget. At 4:44 the same big boss forwarded me a request from the biggest boss of them all, which throws tomorrow into disarray as well. I have until Tuesday to get those test cases done. I thought I would get them done yesterday.

Tonight, I must remember to put the trash and recycles out, check the mail, exercise, and do the animal org minutes.

The absolute most important at home chore is complete: I sent the form to stop the double payment on my car!

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:13 pm

Elizabeth - will your brain shut off at night while you have these high-priority requests from your bosses?

School is over. DD9 didn't finish all the assignments for today but that is a good part of doing school at home. The work is assigned by the week so as long as she finishes before Sunday then all is okay.

I asked the kids if they wanted to attend a class to dissect a cow eye. Their response surprised me. DS12 said no. DD9 said yes. So I've registered & paid for DD9 to attend the class in March.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Return to “Post When You Can”