Frigid February Friday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
MysteryWoman

Re: Frigid February Friday

Postby MysteryWoman » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:55 pm

Hello!

Dragging today. At midnight last night, I got a message from DD saying she was in a bad way and was planning to hop the next bus home. I quickly put a stop to that and told her I'd come out and get her. I was not having her ride a bus alone through some unsavory parts of town after midnight. Heck, I wasn't even thrilled with the idea of the walk from the bus stop to our house at that hour. For that matter, I was worried enough just going out to scrape off the car with the engine running to defrost it -- we've had a couple of carjackings in our neighborhood recently. But I managed to get out there and get her -- I got every traffic light green on the way, so it was barely a 20-minute drive even with driving cautiously. Got her safely home, and then it took me forever to fall asleep.

Got some wash going; need to do some shredding. The noise has me putting it off, although the kids like the shredder -- they have anthropomorphized it. It is "Omo." (Because it is from OfficeMax, and its model number is OM-0 something.) :roll: It is quite weird to see two young adults so excited over a piece of office equipment. Still putting it off due to the noise -- tell me I can do the thing! (I'm going to go give myself a pep talk.)

Perhaps the nice new desktop will encourage you to finish dealing with the paperwork, Cathy.
I've got my country's 500th anniversary to plan, my wedding to arrange, my wife to murder, and Guilder to frame for it; I'm swamped. -- Prince Humperdinck

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:24 pm

I'm calling it done for the day. I got through most of my list and am ready to quit. I really should do some kitchen cabinet cleaning (the fronts) and use a cherry wood pen to cover some dings. Maybe I'll do that one day as an anti procrastination job.

I'm going to break a little longer and then will make the marinade for the lamb chops and get them going. I'll need to walk the dog soon too, she gets impatient with me.

I'm glad Cathy is having some home alone time. Now that dh is mostly working from his office again, I treasure it!

And waving to Mystery!
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:03 pm

I have soup I made yesterday for lunch today. Excellent.
Trying to decide about walking the dog in the slush that is on the road now.
It is a good thing I know, I could go to town but I do not really NEED anything and conditions will just improve
now through Tues.

If I had to turn off the water at the road I would call ex-sil a contractor and ask him.
I know lever the natural gas lever is inside.
And the breaker box.

Just glad I do not live way out in the sticks some where like one friend her hubby
is on the other side of the state getting chemo treatments. The kids did not listen to
her say to wait till she had plowed the road and took the car out got stuck took em an
hour ti dig that out.

Dson does some snow removal with a 4 wheeler for businesses and
has been doing that at nite gave me good input the other day.
I mostly do it for exercise! :idea:

I got the last of the snow off of the deck.
Birds are perching under the eves I have a branch I did not take the rest of the way off
the deck when I changed out the fall decor items.

I did some coloring last night with brush pens, fingers were sore from cracks and it hurt to knit.
I can see the grass on the trails I shoveled in the yard now. :mrgreen:

I did the dishes.
Last edited by Nancy on Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:23 pm

Dh was gone less than an hour, but it was a nice, quiet less than an hour time for me. We both got into bed and read for a while after he got home and I ended up napping. Woke up to supper being on the table because they delivered it early. No problem.

Finally put the dishwasher on.

It's slightly warmer today and snow is melting off of the roof, or just sliding right off because it is a steel roof. We had a row of icicles across the west side of the house. It was very pretty in the bright sunlight. We have warmth in the forecast for this coming week. The next month is almost around the corner.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:26 pm

Hi everyone. Things are going better today. My numbers from data source #1 are within 0.25% of published values. Since mine is a snapshot of the data, anyone who is approved or denied between the time my report runs and the published report runs is an expected difference. There are no published numbers for data sources 2 and 3, so I am verifying a different way. I will still have to do some weekend work, but it will not be as bad as it could be. I did not feel like eating lunch, stomach is off, so I ate a small amount of really bland stuff.

Who takes over my job is not really an issue. The main duties of the new position were transferred to me a year ago, but the covid hiring freeze delayed the official transfer. The person maintaining the statewide child support database retired, SOMEONE had to take it over. Reporting follows me wherever I go, no one else does the kind of work I do there.

CathyS: Thanks for the pine info, I will remember that. I do not need to creosote coat my newly swept chimney. The quote you mentioned really should be "Early to rise, early to bed. In the end you're still dead!" I will never forgive Mr. Franklin for convincing the public that not being a morning person is a moral failing. Of course, if he himself had been a night person, he would have extolled the virtues of that. He condemned us night owls to a life of condemnation. Phooey on him :P !

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:38 pm

Thanks for translating FBeet LM. Its interesting they readily ban the true situation and share the false.
It takes forever for any action to be taken against those, seems to me.
I read an article about the number of countries where there is current action happening, manipulated.
Canada, Brazil and Indonesia got a mention.

My regret is that they have so much market share in the 'free' provision of web sites. And that so many agencies set up sites there. Well, I felt it not being able to access local radio account. etc.

time for breakfast.
Another overcast day here.

I heard the deep freeze over there reached over the Rockies to cool Ca.
Stay safe.
Hugs and prayers if you want, need them.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:50 pm

Hi again! I let the data back fix carry on while I did other things like: catch up on home emails and 45 min exercise video. I misread and thought it was 30 min, but that's ok. Today's payroll accomplishments are: verified numbers on the report as best I can (there is no other source of the data to double check with). While working on this report, I found two oddities in the data. Since it affects exactly 32 records out of more than 22 million, I am not too stressed about it. I will fix it though.

I need to eat dinner, but don't really feel like it. It is not uncommon for me to lose my appetite under stress, but this is more like "oops, I ate cheese". Might have been the crackers I tried yesterday. I WILL eat something, and it will be real food, not junk. Y'all are my accountability on that. I have decided filing will be my AP task. I need to get it done to work on taxes. I can listen to the Ash Wednesday service while doing that win-win.

I think I will start with the catboxes right now though. The trash cans need to be brought in and I don't want out when it is even colder! One will get an extreme clean. I guess that's enough for me to plan right now.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:36 am

Elizabeth, I will say phooey to Franklin too! What does it matter when we get things done, as long as we do them? I guess we are in the minority though. Here everybody wants those early early appointments at Drs. etc. I always say not too early so that I don't get anything before 9:00AM. :roll:

My last appointment I had to be there at 7:15. When they went to make my appointment for next year I tried not to make it so early so she gave me a 7:30 one. Sigh...

I went out to get groceries. When I came out of the store it was raining, but a cold misty rain blowing around a lot. I was glad to get home out of that. I'd never make it in snow any more.

I like the anti-procrastinating thing. I think I will make a list and put those things on it and continue that because when I make a list I tend to not even put those things on the list...so this is a good habit to establish.

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:18 am

Whew! All stuff on my evening's goals is DONE! The anti-procrastination task was filing. I did listen to a church service while doing it, but it was not Ash Wednesday. That service is not on the web yet. Catboxes are done, including the extreme clean. I was not able to eat a real dinner, just not feeling so hot. I have eaten crackers (not the possible cheese ones) and am about to have some rolls. All I think I can keep. Did a little bills and budget. All that remains is to make sure the dry cat food is topped off and get to bed at a reasonable hour.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:01 am

I have a skunk wandering around in the backyard.
All day, I mean.
It does not have a white stripe, just a white patch on his forehead... and he doesn’t have a fluffy bushy tail — he has a very long tail that he drags on the ground. But I put a pic on FB and people were all too eager to assure me he IS a skunk.
Sigh.
Tomorrow is another day.

Return to “Post When You Can”