Tuesday Ta Dah PWYC

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
LadyMaverick

Re: Tuesday Ta Dah PWYC

Postby LadyMaverick » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:51 pm

My back was hurting so I am taking a break.

DD9 has finished her charter school assignments FOR THE LAST TIME.

DS12 came home for lunch. He ate and then immediately fell asleep. He woke up and asked us for a ride to return to the job site. DS12 will be assisting his boss to pour a concrete pad this afternoon. DS12 has no idea how physically hard pouring concrete is.....but he will know by the time he gets home in a few hours. It is another life skill that he will be learning today.

I'm not totally okay with DS12 working this hard and facing these struggles at his age. However, this is something that is self-driven and self-directed by him. DS12 went to his boss by himself and asked for this work. IMHO we would have a better chance of stopping DS12 from riding his bike, stop talking on his phone or stop playing video games than to get him to stop working.

I wonder if I am overthinking this or in denial? There are several of DS12 friends that played 6 ball games last Saturday and again that many games on Sunday. They are in travel teams that spend 10-12 hours playing sports both days of their weekend "day off". During the week they go to school and then practice sports afterward so they are occupied 10-12 hours during the weekday. So that leaves me wondering ....should kids be forced to relax more? Is it okay to let them work or play sports so much at this age? hum.... I just don't know. I suspect there is no right answer for every kid and circumstance.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:01 pm

DH offered to go do the school pick up for dgs -- ddil is in Big City with dgd at the eye doctor. Her dbro went with her and ds is still at work.
Anyway -- I let dh go alone and I have managed to get sheets off the bed and in the washer, and I have vacuumed all the "main" areas of the house.
* whew *
Takes about 30 minutes to do the floors of the big open area -- kitchen, dining room, and den, plus hallways, center bath, and computer room. The kitchen, dining room and den are not separated by doorways, but there are dividing walls that separate them into distinct "areas" -- it's not a "great ROOM" all running together. There's a pass-through above my stove that connects the dining room, and a sort of half-wall with spindles in it that separate the den from the hallway, so the hallway gets plenty of light from the den and dining room.
Anyway -- that's the WHB according to F lylady, I guess, but I always include the master bedroom and bath in my WHB vacuuming.

Twins, I sooo know what you mean...

Chipping a brick reminds me of something. Talk about OCD... my dad was that way too, about a lot of things, and when my grandmother died, DH noticed that as they were covering her casket/vault, they loosened/twisted out of line/something -- the steel plate with her name on it. DH had the lack of sense to mention this to my DAD. Oh my goodness. I think for a minute my dad had visions of going and digging her up to make sure it was attached securely. DH assured him that it was FINE, I think he just wanted ddad to know (in case he was going to tip them? :roll: ) that they had been -- in dh's mind -- a wee bit careless. I thought, and probably said as much, HOW STUPID can you be??? I don't think dh realized that ddad was OCD too. shaking my head...

DH is probably trying to talk dgs out of future boarding school plans right now... :roll:

(((Dee))) -- sending good wishes to your dsil.

LadyM, your ds is just amazing. His work ethic is a thousand times better than a great many adults! I can't really even imagine how to handle that sort of work ethic in one so young, but wow -- I am sooo impressed -- and I would say as long as he knows it is okay to tell people when he's done enough and he's not afraid to quit a job that becomes too much for him, then... more power to him!!!
The travel sports concern me too... I truly doubt that will ever be an issue for my dgrands, and it wasn't for ds, but I have a cousin who does it in softball. It does seem like just too much. I guess if the kids are BEGGING to do it, and seem happy with it -- AND if the coaches are decent people who don't make it a "win at all cost" sort of thing, then it's all good... but boy... I wouldn't want to invest that sort of time and money in it! Maybe if you really saw signs that your child was headed for a college sports scholarship?
But you know, there has been a lot of publicity here about the increase in Tommy Johns surgery. Doctors have seen a lot more of it since year-round baseball started.
Tomorrow is another day.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:48 pm

Dfriend M and R uby came by for a glass of wine and to see the screened porch. Workers are done for today. A few things to wrap up still but almost there.

I should shower, never got to it today. I have the Zoom meeting at 7 p.m.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:12 pm

Yea! Got all the limbs loaded and picked up yea!
Got the trash to the curb.
Decluttered a bag of old towels.
Dgd walked the dog to tbe corner & did her homework here without being asked.
Glad to say I had a good day despite missing a couple hours of sleep last night.
Perfect weather here today.
Got the out door kitchen counter cleaned, and the table on the deck.
Dishes are done.

WTG everyone on all your progress.
Last edited by Nancy on Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:35 pm

Just found out that our Horned Owl, "Owliver", was transferred to Busch Gardens this afternoon, along with 2 other birds (a barred owl & an osprey). He'll be treated there. Hoping we can follow his progress there.

Heading to bed -be back tomorrow hopefully. Have to admit that I feel the best today that I've felt in a lot of weeks. Hoping for it to continue.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:49 pm

LadyM, working this much is ok for your son, except if he gets out of balance. I'd just make sure he learns to value time off and fun times as much as working, that way he won't end up a workaholic. And about non-stop sports, I think that's hard on growing bodies.

Lucylee, chipping a brick...reminded me that when I moved the bulbs today I planted them another place as deep as I could shovel the hole. They were still a little too shallow. DH offered to dig deeper holes and we started in. The exact place I couldn't go any deeper, he couldn't either. Discovered a BRICK down under there. I didn't recognize it and DH said he didn't either. But I'll just bet he dumped it in there and just doesn't remember. No wonder I couldn't get the holes any deeper.

Dee, I hope the dogpet and DSiL both begin doing better.

I need a gardener. Went back to the store and got 5 more plants. Hard to find anything that does well in shaded spots. Got those planted after taking a cart-load of leaves out of the area. They look so nice there. I looked them up on the net and am very pleased with what I read. I may get a few more for some other spots. Does Elizabeth have a gardener to send here?

Course, I thought I was doing DH a favor by offering to take him with me and goodness what a fiasco it is to shop with him. First we had to double back around a block so he could write down a phone number off a truck. Then we had to stop at a stone place along the way so he could talk to that guy. Then he had to sit down because he couldn't stand that long looking around at the plants. Then he had to argue with me about every edging I tried to pick out. Then because the a/c on the car went back out he had to stop to replace another fuse. Then we had to stop at the auto parts store to buy more fuses and talk to the guys there about this problem and get a solution and parts numbers. Finally we got to come home. So much for a fun couple hours' trip out. :roll:

Return to “Post When You Can”