No Theme Thursday PWYC

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
lucylee

Re: No Theme Thursday PWYC

Postby lucylee » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:36 pm

I have no theme, no theme today... :lol: Harriet! I used to LOVE that show.

I have very little to show for the day, as well. Went to drug store for refill, talked to dmom almost an hour on the phone, helped dh change light bulbs. (Yes, we are the embodiment of the joke, "how many... does it take to change a lightbulb?" But here, the problem is that he doesn't trust himself to climb onto a chair or stool or something to reach the ceiling fixtures.) He changed one in the bedroom ceiling fan, which he could reach, but I changed the one in the bathroom ceiling fixture.

Last night, in keeping with my do something motivation, I labeled pictures from Feb/Mar -- but I haven't put them in the album yet. Also transferred April pictures from phone to computer.

LadyM, that's a good idea to get ds started with the dermatologist before a little problem becomes a BIG problem. I do recommend Proactiv, btw. We saw great improvement with ds's skin when he was a teenager and started using that. Kinda annoying because they do automatic mailings and it starts adding up -- $-wise and space-wise, LOL -- but I think we have finally used up almost all of it! (Of course we cancelled the subscription probably 15 years ago!)

Just thinking about that... ds has been out of college 15 years.

:?: :arrow: THIS brings about a new Question of the Day -- which one of you wants to play Miss Manners today?
I was made aware of a major faux pas on my part yesterday.
Remember, I've been talking about dniece's med school graduation coming up, party, gift, etc.
WELL... I knew; I have known for basically the past YEAR, that DDIL desperately wanted a grad party for nursing school and receiving her RN.
And I assured her we WOULD do one!
However... everything was in lockdown, you know, when she graduated in Dec, and then she said, let's just wait till I pass the licensing test and it's all official... so that was Jan or Feb... and then I just let it all slide, you know.
Partly, I admit, I was thinking that HER parents are HERE now; shouldn't THEY be the ones to head up this effort???
And partly I was thinking, WHEN are we going to do this? Ddil's mom works nights Sun-Fri, her dad works days, and her schedule (was at that time) always changing. So I just dragged my feet about it and did nothing.
BUT -- I did think I gave her a graduation card w/a check at the time of her graduation.
Hmmmm.... ds says noooo... NO ONE even acknowledged her graduation except her aunt who sent her a check, and ddil had hurt feelings over it.
No one could even attend her graduation except her mom and ds, which bothered her a lot at the time, too. She wanted her dad there, but didn't want to hurt her mom's feelings.

So anyway -- here we are -- and now I think if I throw a party, it looks like I'm just doing it to keep up with dniece and make sure ddil gets gifts too.
And the scheduling for her parents and herself is still a big issue, especially since ddil started working weekend nights.

Anybody got any suggestions? :?:
I did talk to ddil about this, apologized, told her I thought I had given her a gift at the time, and told her to give me the measurements for the shadow box that she was apparently expecting me to give her for Christmas :!: and I would get that for her now!
But otherwise -- what would y'all do about a party? (LOL -- she said she didn't want a sympathy party, she just wanted a cake that said "Congratulations.")

I don't think anyone I know has had a college graduation party -- not ds or myself or any of my cousins. I agree med school is a big thing -- and dniece partly deserves it because this is a going away party -- she'll be in TX for the next three years.
But what do I do to make ddil know we're proud of her, too?
Tomorrow is another day.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:45 pm

I've damp mopped and spot cleaned floor in great room now, and I have cheese cake crust in the oven. This next round I'll get the filling made and into the oven and probably start vacuuming the house. We don't have as much dog hair floating around as before, but the dust and pollen have made up for it this week. I am making decent progress.

Gosh, Lucylee, I don't know! It seems like a no win situation either way - you're darned if you do, and darned if you don't. I think a lot of things have slipped since COVID came into our lives. I saw a lot of obits for people who died (not even from COVID) and they indicated they family would have a "Celebration of their life" later, and I wonder how many follow through?
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:31 pm

Lucylee, I'd have a little get-together. Invite anyone you feel comfortable having; some finger food, a nice cake with her name, maybe some streamers or some sort of decorations. Order the shadow box, and if it isn't there print out a picture of it and put it in the card. Maybe if it all could be a surprise! that'd make it extra special.

A bunch of work for you, yes, and possibly hard to schedule, but it might go a long way to smoothing some rough edges you've been experiencing with her.

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:36 pm

Hi everyone! The highest ups at payroll expect me to time travel again. I had a database designed for one thing, they wanted it to do another, back in time. I attempted it, but due to lack of needed information did not get satisfactory results. So, I redesigned the entire database and procedures in March, specifying that, while I cannot go back in time, I can give them what they want in the future. I also designed it so that future requests, even if retroactive can be done - from March 2021 onward. Now they want new information. Fine, for March 2021 onward, impossible for prior. Any requests for retroactive prior to March 2021 CANNOT BE DONE! If I had been psychic, I would have designed it differently in the beginning. But if I was psychic, I would be on a beach in the Bahamas instead of working here, wouldn't I? ARGH!!!

Contributing to my unhappiness today at payroll is the annual required training. Ok, it's gotta be done, and I am not going to complain about having to do it BUT I could not complete a 2.5 hour training. It acted strangely and crashed at the very end and NOW won't let me pick up where I was but expects me to START OVER!!! And if I do start over, there is no guarantee it won't do the same thing. I am also fighting a migraine.

I was falling asleep at my computer yesterday, so all I did last night was go to bed early. DD19 will be over late tonight. Maybe I will get some cleaning done. Today is so aggravating.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:57 pm

LucyLee - What I would do....
** Check your bank statement and verify there wasn't a check cashed or maybe DDIL lost it? Verify if your check register shows a missing check.
** Make a lunch date for 3-4 females to plan a celebration. Your Mom, her Mom, DDiL and you are who come to my mind to get together and plan the celebration. Delegate - everyone is in charge of something. Your DDIL needs to be included in the planning because she will know her friends, teachers, coworkers, etc that she wants (or not) to be invited. Also you DDIL should tell how big of a shindig she wants the celebration to be so she can't complain later.
** Send out invites. I would send digital invites for the people who are online.
** Rent a community building (here it is $25 to rent for 4 hours), buy a cake, have your DS & friends provide the music, and have this celebration so your DDIL isn't hurt for the rest of her life over it. It can be a come & go event if that helps with the multiple work schedules. But DDIL would have to be there for the entire time since she is the person being honored. Keep it simple but make it happen.

My point is....you didn't know that she didn't get a check from you. But now that you have been made aware, take massive action immediately to show DDIL that you truly care about her and want to celebrate her accomplishment.

I took the dryer apart and vacuumed/ cleaned as much of the inner parts as I could access. There is a good chance that I might open the dryer door later tonight just to look at the sparking clean lint filter. Yes, I do have an exciting life.....
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:45 pm

I think I wore out my dh's brain. I worked in the garage this morning until 1 - he made all kinds of decisions. This was huge for him.
I still have to blow out the garage but we came a long way.

waving to everyone!!!!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:58 pm

Hi!

Went to get ground beef and pork first thing this morning. While I was in the store I had to use the public washroom. Thank goodness they had one. I only stayed there long enough to put the meat into the cart and check out. As soon as I left the store I had to get home as soon as possible. I stayed very close to the washroom for the next few hours, and then finally went and had a nap because it was cold here and I felt very chilled. Woke up around 5 and told dh that he should go and get himself something hot to eat.

He went and got fish and chips and battered mushrooms. I had a tiny bit of fish without any batter. I seem to be much better now. I just had a really hot shower and I thought I should check in now that I am feeling like a human again.

Every time this has happened (twice now) I have been in a store far from home. We go to this grocery store every week. I shouldn't have been anxious, but maybe I was. Dh is wondering if we had something that messed both of us up. He had the same issue yesterday. I told him it might have been the 2 loaves of raisin bread we ate in the 4 days since we got our new toaster. :shock: I wish I could stop him from eating in the middle of the night.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:09 pm

Dgd planned and set up her own collage grad party a BBQ picnic type gatherig at her dad's,
It is next mo. We have know for about a month. It is pot luck, dson is smoking the meat.
I am taking 2 sides rolls and sug. Free jello dson loves. A card with $ I know what dh would have
done so I did that bc we discused the last grad gift.
Dgd set it up on messonger on fb.
The grad. Will be on line.
The county the school is set to do in stricter lockdown back to phase 2 bc of increasing
#', our county is not our numbers are not that bad.

This is a lot of work for the host so I agree with what others have recomended seems easier.
I just remembered they had saved graduation themed painted rocks, and other decorations, seems they got em at the $1.00 store.
not sure if they rented the table clothes, and chairs. One person is bringing fruit salad, some one else is doing deviled eggs, and I assume a Costco
Cake.

[I am not expecting a Mom's day gathering.]
We have moved into drought conditions earlier than normal.
Last edited by Nancy on Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:17 pm

Dee, I have checked the check register twice and since December (when she graduated) there is no check written to her, but I could have given her cash, that is possible... and it is not impossible that she could have forgotten it by now with all that has gone on since then. BUT, I don't think ds would have forgotten -- so I just feel certain that I had this in my head that we'd do a party after she passed the NCLEX, and I'd give her a gift then, and then... poof... the scheduling seemed impossible and we just didn't get around to it.

OTOH -- I really would be surprised if she wanted anything more than just our family, same as our birthday parties -- us, her parents & brother, my mom, maybe dbil & his girlfriend. She won't need lots of decorations and music, she just wants cake and congratulations (and presents, LOL.)
BUT... it just seems kinda awkward now for me to turn around, immediately after receiving an invitation to dniece's party and invite dbil and his girlfriend, and dniece and dnephew, like I'm trying to say, OH YES... and you must also give presents to ddil, five months after her ceremony. Like, we didn't do anything for her then, but if we're doing for dniece, we shall do for this one too.
SIGH. I'm probably over-thinking it... but it just seems kinda... tacky? at this point... :roll: :oops:

But no problem for me at all to do her parents/brother & my mom here at our house... just trying to schedule all the different work schedules between her and her parents, and now her brother, who started today at Wmart, every night except Tues. & Wed. :roll: Come and go, even if it's just at our house, might be the best thing. Her mom usually leaves for her night shift before her dad gets home, and now she & her brother are both working weekend nights. :roll:

ANYWAY ... tonight at the ballgame, I asked if she had measured her lamp for the shadow box (lamp is one of those Florence Nightingale type that nurses light at graduation.) She said no, not yet, but she would.
Then I told her (and had already told ds) "Just tell us when you want cake and who you want to invite and we will take care of it."
So I guess I will just pester her till it's done. ;) And I will order the shadow box ASAP, as soon as she lets me know how deep it needs to be.

AAUUUGGHHH!!!! WHY didn't I DO this immediately upon her receiving her test results??? Like you said, Twins, a lot of people have postponed events (like "celebrations of life") and I wonder too, how many will follow up on those things. And how do we know when it's really "safe" to do that sort of thing and that the people we invite will feel safe attending? A surprise might work well, Harmony, and ds might be able to set that up with her dad, since they work together.
Hindsight's 20/20, right?

And good for your dgd, Nancy! Everyone should set up their own party!

I do have a joy to share, and this may seem so trivial, but dgs got on base tonight! After FOUR strike-outs in a row, plus getting hit pretty hard by a pitch (in a league that doesn't allow walks, so that was like an out, too) -- * whew * FINALLY he hit it hard enough to get to first. He looked sooo happy and proud of himself when he tagged that base. He had been really skittish at practice, ds said, after getting hit in the last game, and he was jumping back, out of the batter's box instead of staying in and swinging... so it was SUCH a relief to see him get his confidence back. (He got tagged out at 2nd, but that was a forced play and nothing he could have done about it.) And we won, 10-8, so it was a good night. (Oh -- a different coach pitched, and that may have made a difference! ;) I hope they will stick with him tomorrow!)
One little boy was crying when it was over, though. :cry: He is one of very best hitters, and he struck out twice tonight. His parents are pretty hard on him. His dad was telling him he'd give him $10 if he hit it, and then his mom said he couldn't have his phone tonight if he didn't hit it. This is the kind of thing that really gives youth sports a bad name, IMHO. I mean, remember, this little boy is probably only six years old! (The league is for 8 and under, but most of the players on dgs' team are younger than dgs, who will be 9 in June.)

(((Elizabeth))) I am so sorry you had such a frustrating time with all that computer stuff. I remember how I hated dealing with required computer in-service training lessons at school.

I think I wore out my dh's brain.
LOL, blessed!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

(((Cathy))) Glad you're feeling better!

AND I have a ta-da to share as well! I have finished the WHB vacuuming (master bedroom & bath) since returning home from the ballgame!
:lol: Yay, me!

Do y'all time yourselves on the computer and sign off after 15 minutes or something?
I seem to take forever posting anything. (1) I talk too much :oops: and (2) I type too slowly. :(

Editing to add
— photos are in album
— walked away the pounds 15 min
— and I want to apologize for these long posts!
Tomorrow is another day.

Return to “Post When You Can”