Thursday PWYC

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
blessedw2

Re: Thursday PWYC

Postby blessedw2 » Thu May 06, 2021 12:28 pm

hi d lady and d Nancy
it is always a joy to be here with you!

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Thu May 06, 2021 1:24 pm

Blessedw2 - I'm happy your car turned out so well.

When we owned a car wash, I experience being the one that did the detailing of cars, It is a HUGE amount of effort and time to get into every crack and crevice as well as the open areas. I quickly made the decision that detailing cars was not going to be my career goal. :) I do admire the ones that do it because they are truly hard workers with a passion for details.

Oklahoma hasn't hit 100 degrees this year (yet). That happened in a state to the west of me.

Eek! I'm implementing an "OH CR*P! It is noon and I forgot to prepare lunch" fix. Frozen foods and the Air fryer to the rescue! Today's quick meal is Steak Fingers, Crispy Crowns, and salad.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu May 06, 2021 1:38 pm

I got part of what I was planning done at the library. I never seem to have enough time there. They are now allowing 2 people in for research but only in 2.5 hr increments - this is the local history dept where the books can't be checked out.

After the library I went to the big plant nursery across town and bought my geraniums and filler plants for the front porch, and another tomato plant. Instead of putting plants in, I'm going upstairs...
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu May 06, 2021 2:04 pm

Here's a recommendation - buy ANY refrigerator EXCEPT a Samsung.

The intense problems with the icemaker are just awful and affect the WHOLE appliance, plus your mental health, because defrosting can expand to a full day easily, and the sound of defrosting is like the constant beeping of a truck backing up. You can look up on the internet the hundreds of videos of complaints, do-it-yourself fixes, nightmare repair stories, an attempt at a class-action suit, the news stations trying to help their community fridge-owners, etc. It's extraordinary, and continues because outlets of sale (home improvement, appliance stores, etc.) have contracts with brands.

So I guess you already know my preoccupation today and why I'm not working much in the kitchen after Morning Dailies were complete.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Thu May 06, 2021 2:20 pm

Too late, Harriet. That's the brand dd has and yes, she has no ice. The ice maker quit working early this past winter. Luckily we still have our ice maker (one we had bought as a gift for dsonil a few years ago). So any ice they need we get from that. Actually I continued to use it right along because: even though there was a filter on the waterline for the freezer, I just couldn't bring myself to use ice from there. So every day we're making ice. She also bought new dishwasher, range and microwave from that same brand. Hopefully they will be okay. She's good about looking up reviews. And one thing we learned was that different brands have different shades of appliances. She's bought black stainless steel, which looks more gray. So conceivably she could have ended up with 4 different shades if they were all different brands.

Aha! I just found, as I was going through various things in my office, -the statement from dh's lottery winnings last February (EDIT: Actually this was February 2020, LucyLee, so nothing new. Probably a 'fine' for not reporting it earlier but I just couldn't find the sheet. Not sure there's anything on it I need to report but maybe -that is in codes or anything.) It was in a hard folder along with a few other things. So I guess now I have to file an addendum to our Federal return for that. He won $1,000 on a scratch off. I'll procrastinate on it for a day or two and get things together. Also have a little bit of interest on one bank account over the allotted $10, that I failed to claim. (Or, Twins, can I simply wait and add it to my return next year? Thought you might know.)
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Thu May 06, 2021 2:46 pm

Ended up going to MIL's and giving her the Mother's Day cards and her watch, that she LOVED. I also put 2 jars of my homemade grape jelly. Gave SIL some LUSH things that I will never use.

Dh and I stopped at 2 different restaurants to pick up a take out lunch for each of us. I had Indian and dh had a goat roti from his favourite roti place. We both have happy tummys PLUS we got to spend time with his family. That's all of us. 4 whole people. There are aunts, uncles and all kinds of cousins, but nobody has anything to do with each other, even though attempts have been made. I even have a couple of dh's cousins on my FBook, but nobody even "likes" anything we put and we don't see anything that they put.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Thu May 06, 2021 2:52 pm

So conceivably she could have ended up with 4 different shades if they were all different brands.

Good grief, Dee! I would never have thought of that...
Going to check now.. hmmm... I have 3 brands in the kitchen! Maytag, Magic Chef, and Whirlpool. They are all black. I guess they match fairly well -- but I think Maytag and Whirlpool are the same company now. The oven/microwave and stove are Magic Chef, and they have been here since the house was built, 35 (36?) years ago. Ooops -- I forgot -- my stovetop, built into my countertop, is almond-colored to match the countertops. We have one of those griddle things built in also and it is black.

(((Harriet))) That does sound terribly frustrating!

I complain about our ice maker a lot. It's not a door dispenser or anything like that, just the in-freezer bin, you know, but the ice sticks together. After a few days, the ice will be one big chunk. It will still be formed in ice cubes -- I don't have trouble with anything actually melting in the freezer -- but the ice tray seems to over-fill, and then, it all sticks together.

Oh well. The tree man is cutting away. My goodness, I would hate to work with a chainsaw all day every day. I guess you can get used to anything. Probably sounds like the jingle jangle of a cash register to him. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Twins -- the tree that fell was a hickory tree. We had three of them across the front of the house, but one was off to the side on the other side of a pasture fence. Two were centered in front of the porch, one on either side of the sidewalk. There is a walnut tree in the back yard, and it makes a beautiful shade, but it is also in the pasture, probably 6-10 feet or so on the other side of the chainlink fence that I HATE so much. WHY in the world we put the fence on this side of the tree, I have absolutely no idea. There is a gate right in front of the tree, however, and I may take a lawn chair out there and see how I like that for a quiet sitting area.
Of course, my front porch will still get a lot of shade, just because it is so big... but I am sure going to miss that tree.

Woo hoo on Mr. Dee's lottery winnings! We may get the lottery here finally. It's up for a vote in the legislature right now, I think. I guess they will be deciding if the people can vote on it. Neither of us have a very adventurous spirit for that sort of thing, so I don't know if we'd buy a lot of lottery tickets if we could, but our state needs the money. All surrounding states have lotteries, and our residents are known to support those an awful lot!

EEEK! 100 degrees already! Noooo... not ready for THAT! We're having a pretty mild spring actually. Kinda unusual. Y'all have heard me say we normally have about 15 minutes of spring and then it is HOT till Thanksgiving, LOL. It's a beautiful day today, and if you have to be cutting up a huge hickory tree, I guess you'd be very glad for the mild temps.

I need to vacuum my car, blessed.
And clean my bathrooms.
And dust.
And finish the laundry.

LadyM, at least ds was fighting for your honor, right? :lol: I remember ds here getting in a fight on the playground in elementary school. He said, "But Junior was THROWING (ds' friend) on the ground and I had NO CHOICE but to fight." Junior apparently was the class bully who was bigger than ds and his friend. We couldn't get too upset -- were kinda proud ds was willing to defend himself and his friend, you know? DS was NOT a very aggressive-type by any standard, in most situations.
Tomorrow is another day.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Thu May 06, 2021 3:25 pm

Well, I don't how much different the shades might be, Lucylee. It's just something the salesman told dd when she ordered her appliances. Obviously she already has the fridge -just had to add the dishwasher, range and microwave. We're actually inheriting the microwave that they have on the counter now. Only fair I guess. We had bought a microwave some years ago, which we moved to and it bit the dust. The company actually gave her a brand new one valued at $160.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Thu May 06, 2021 3:36 pm

A couple of things DS12 shared with us at lunch.
** DS12 boss jokingly referred to him as "A $2.00 an hour sheetrock worker" because it takes DS12 forever to measure and cut the sheetrock. DS12 explained to us how difficult it is. He uses FRACTIONS and ANGLES.....suddenly those math lessons DS12 has struggled with have new meaning and have become important to know.
** DS12 boss told him "The tool you are looking for is RightBelowYou.com"
DS12 boss is known for his abundance of patience and sense of humor. Both character traits are priceless when teaching so many new skills to a beginner.

Tomorrow's menu has been discussed and decided. Chicken Alfredo pizza and a Double Cheese pizza ordered from our favorite local place. This works well for me. I need to restock my supply of frozen soups. So tomorrow I will make a big pot of my favorite meat/vegetable soup and won't need to cook multiple dishes.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu May 06, 2021 3:42 pm

thank you d lady. It was a luxury item for me - but I am so happy I did it. The man that did this work was amazing. He worked so incredibly hard. I gave him some more tip today because I felt his hard work should be acknowledged.

more donations done. I think I am done for the rest of the year. I might go through music.
I need to take a picture of a painting that I plan on donating. I am sure it cost my dear mom a lot.

hello d dee - Mr. dee winning the lottery - yahoo!

hello d Lucy we had to turn off our ice maker/water as our neighborhood water is not great. (it's higher level of lead but on the line that is still safe - so not doing that). glad you are getting your tree done

hello d Cathy How lovely - I am sure she LOVED the cards! mmmm mmm mmm homemade grape jelly!

hello d harriet - sorry you are having trouble with the fridge! I wish I could recommend one - we haven't had good luck with them.

hello d twins sorry you couldn't stay longer at the library.

hello everyone
My d brother is here building a stair for me after he took down the ramp he built for me.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Return to “Post When You Can”