Thursday PWYC

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
DeeClutter
Administrator

Re: Thursday PWYC

Postby DeeClutter » Thu May 06, 2021 3:56 pm

I just came across the little 'saying' in some papers I was going through and it reminds me of my 'signature line': "The best way to get something done is to begin". Sure is the truth!
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu May 06, 2021 4:01 pm

CI I went thrifting for my mother's day & got take away for my lunch. It was needed for me to get out of the house.
90* is the hi for toiday then down to the 60's.

I will put some of the finnds in the new normal thread.
What do you call a tea party where you serve coffee instead of tea? A garden party!

I bathed the dog outside. 91* she can stay out for a bit while she dries off some.
Last edited by Nancy on Thu May 06, 2021 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Thu May 06, 2021 4:22 pm

Our "new" neighbor has lived here for almost 3 years. Before that we had a couple who were only slightly older than us (a couple of years)and they kept their yard and gardens immaculate and they were beautiful. We share a hedge. It used to be cut and trimmed all the time. Not a single leaf over the property line. ... Ever since they moved, I have been trying to keep the branches of the hedge neat and tidy and looking trimmed. The guy next door just was not made to do outside work. His new wife doesn't do much outside. They are younger than us with a teenage daughter/step daughter. That hedge looks awful. It never gets trimmed straight along the top. Dh has asked him to trim it again this spring. Neighbour either can't see what a bad job he did or he doesn't care. Dh told him that the hedge is getting comments from customers who are worried that their vehicles might get scratched. I have decided that if I do a bit each day, that it won't be such an overwhelming job.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu May 06, 2021 4:35 pm

I learn things all the time when I come here. I looked up redbud trees again. The Eastern redbud can get 35' tall! Other kinds grow to 15-25'. More kinds are good next to things and are more bushy. I know the ones we saw on our way up the interstate were huge.

I have stories about oaks. There are different kinds. We've had water oaks (nice) and other kinds I don't remember, the ones here are probably live oaks but a couple of them have the whitesh "bands" on the bark. They all seem strong and sturdy. But we get gallons of yellow pollen every spring, it covers all my surfaces. This happens about the time they bud out with new leaves. We get tons of acorns that the squirrels just love and they plant all over the yard. When we're not cutting the grass we get a multitude of little oak trees. DH leaves them go and just lops them off when he cuts the grass. I've tried to pull some out...nope, not happening. The twig stem is so tough it's hard to grab and no amount of pulling dislodges them from the grass. Once we start cutting grass, they 'go away' for a while.

We had a Magnolia at the 1st older house, planted it one night for the inspections the next morning. Failed inspection, someone came and stole it away; we could see the drag mark where they took it. So we planted an oak. New owners had to take that down once it got bigger as the roots went into the septic field. Next house we grabbed sapling oaks, planted 4, 1 on each side of the driveway in the front, 1 at the side yard, 1 at the side driveway. Oh my. In 9 years they grew SO BIG! We had to trim them so we could get the car up the driveway. We had to fix the driveway where they were beginning to lift the cement. So, Lucylee, if you plant oaks, leave plenty of room around them! I love mine but they sure make some work for us!

Samsung brand of anything is notorious for being unpredictable. One big appliance place here quit carrying that brand because of all the complaints and warranty issues.

I did paperwork all morning, yuck, a brain burner today. Then I went to the bank and supermarket, came home and watered. I'm pretty worn out and don't feel like doing anything, even making dinner but I guess I must.
Last edited by Harmony on Thu May 06, 2021 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Thu May 06, 2021 4:55 pm

Hi everyone! Payroll is asking the impossible again. They want the April numbers to be added to a report. The April numbers have not been generated yet. I picked up a book on hold at my nearest library (a Home City branch) and found out that they will be open for browsing next week! I have been going to Metro City libraries because they actually allow me in to look, but the nearest is 30 min away. I have a card that is 20+ years old, from back when the two cities' libraries were one system, so I can check out at both. The card is held together by lamination and does not always work in readers, but if I get a new one, I only get Home City privileges.

I am waiting for a report process to run. The sick cat is more active and alert now and no more bleeding that I can see. I have made reservations for both my next campsite and a cave tour.

Tonight are many financial chores because it is PAYDAY!!! Thank goodness! I need to go to the grocery store. I have been putting it off until payday.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Thu May 06, 2021 6:00 pm

Yay for payday, Elizabeth. Kinda wishing dh would put some of his 'paydays' in the checking account. He hasn't made a deposit yet since he started working shortly after going north the end of March. Think tomorrow will mark about 6 weeks he's been working. That may only equate to 4 or 5 checks, not sure. He usually gets paid on Fridays. Started working a 4-day week this week and he was really looking forward to it. A lot of the work they've done up to this point has been really 'heavy' work. Yesterday he was out mowing all day with C arharts on and gloves. Hopefully it's nicer up there today.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu May 06, 2021 6:10 pm

hi d dee that saying is the truth!
hi d Elizabeth - yay for pay day.
hi d harmony our d neighbors tree really grew wide and about 18 ' (redbud)
(wow about the roots growing into the septic
hi d Nancy glad you had time out of the house - good for you. '
hi d Cathy lol - the neighbor next for was not made to do outside work - (sorry about the hedge)

I am officially done with the decluttering this year. yay.
d brother finished making a step for us (after taking out the ramp)
he also took down the supports for me that he built from the couch. it was great while it lasted.
all done. yay.

My d brother noticed how much has been removed out of our house - I have been really working at it for 5 years every January and it is finally beginning to show a huge difference.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu May 06, 2021 7:25 pm

Good for you on the decluttering, bw2! You have worked so hard on it.

I spent the afternoon upstairs, playing with a case study idea. When dh got home we decided to go out to eat, so I'll have the pork loin tomorrow night. He bought himself a new TV when we were out too; he couldn't get the old one going with the Roku and wanted a larger one anyway. (Why do men always want a larger...TV?)

Tomorrow is weekly home blessing for me. I have a bunch of smaller jobs to do along the way, also I want to get the geraniums into their pots and out on the front porch. Seems a shame to pull the pansies up while they still look good in the planters, but they have been living on borrowed time.

Elizabeth, I think my library is to allow browsing books soon, although I don't know about the local history dept where I go. I would love to walk the shelves up there and see what catches my eye. Congrats on no more child support!

We had oak and hickory trees at our old house, and I grew up with a big oak tree in the front yard that we sat under every evening in the summer. No a/c when I was growing up!

Cathy, I wonder if you ought to just invest in a hedge trimmer and do it the quick way?

I need to finish p.m. routine so I can read.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu May 06, 2021 9:41 pm

Ok I need to pick up and put away a few things.
Had dinner.
Dishes need done.
Dog is dry after her bath / shower.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Thu May 06, 2021 9:55 pm

I wonder how to be sure about the root structure of different oaks. Ds has one just outside his back door, right beside sidewalk, patio, etc. And he had no problems with it upsetting any of the concrete. It’s been there since DH was young.

Our house looks soooo bare now... but I’m glad the tree is gone. It was rotted and hollow about 5 feet up the trunk, I would estimate. Just a disaster waiting to happen.
Tomorrow is another day.

Return to “Post When You Can”