Make it yours - Thursday PWYC

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Harmony

Re: Make it yours - Thursday PWYC

Postby Harmony » Thu May 13, 2021 2:04 pm

Hello! It was nice to see LisaB here last evening. I'm sorry your DH is looking for work, but good that he's a help around the house now.

I was in Niagara Falls once with my family back when the girls were pretty small. D1stH took sick after a day up there and we had to cut our trip short. On the way out of town I took the girls to breakfast in a restaurant that looks right out onto the water and the waiter placed us right at the windows. Beautiful. I love the plants up there. Did not see homeless etc. but our motel was awful.

We had those hospital restrictions but they are eased here now. DH's last operation, I had to abide by the visitor times and wear a mask but that was all. Believe me, I didn't touch anything I absolutely had to and I kept my mask on and used a lot of hand sanitizer.

Lucylee, your party sounded nice and I love the blessing DGS did. Good idea with the books too.

Cathy, I just read about ants (they can be a problem here) if we mop with white vinegar, that erases their "trail" and they don't know how to find the food sources their cohorts know about. I haven't tried that yet. We use those ant baits, little plastic disks with a small hole and they go in and take the bate back to nests and feed their family. I was making no progress until we got some of those. How do you cook fiddleheads? We had about 6 big fern bushes that came up voluntarily and I ripped them out, but I saw the things you ate on them, they're the curly stems before they open up into a frond right? Never ate them.

Twins, have a pleasant trip tomorrow. Is DH going with?

LadyM, what brand vacuum was that cute one? Is it a wetvac or just a regular vac? I don't really need another vacuum but it sure is cute and I am curious.

Dee, we all get those bugs down here. I rarely see them but one is enough. Blek! When DH rolls in the dolly of wood for the fireplace I always spray all around on the floor because some come in with him. Then all I see are dead ones. I was thinking the same thing about DSiL's Mother's house.

Harriet, I'm with you about the "Guy" HRH knows. DH does the same thing, I have to keep reminding him, he doesn't always listen.

So yesterday I looked at that suitcase and found another suitcase inside it and a big box of stuff. Some broken unusable stuff (went in rubbish bin). A few things to donate. A picture to give back in case she wants. 2 nice like new hand towels with the crocheted hangers for oven door with thanksgiving theme, washed and lovely I kept. Suitcases out in garage now waiting for me to go by donation. Turns out this lady is CLEANING OUT ANOTHER WOMAN'S HOUSE WITH HER! What's wrong with this picture?

Today as I brought in laundry I noticed just how neatly everything was hanging up on the racks and hangers and it struck me just how hard I do work at things around here. I know you gals do too, it's not just me. But I don't give myself enough credit I suppose. All but the cooking, that's sometimes really good, sometimes just heat up the leftovers, but except for that, today I give myself a pat on the back. :oops:

10° lower today and cloudy but we might get some showers later. I did go ahead and water.

RRose, I'd be intimidated with the horses too. You are very brave.

Nancy, since my eye troubles, I use the overhead can lights a lot more in the kitchen to see properly. I used to use just the 2 little hanging lights over the sink, not bright enough any more. DH does the same. I understand not wanting to work in the dark!

Sorry for the Novel I wrote.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu May 13, 2021 2:37 pm

Nancy, you are exactly right.

I wish I'd done that. I wasn't able to talk about it with HRH for a while and when we could finally get together and talk, I found out he's told this man about 2 potential jobs - this one and the roof re-do at my parents' house. I guess he can get an estimate on the roof and that doesn't mean I'm committed to using them. He says the man told him it would be he and one of his workers. Well, his wife is evidently "one of his workers" - she is who he meant. HRH didn't think of that, he says. It's just that if he would talk this out with me before he barrels ahead I could raise these red flags. IMO, if you know a person has married someone with an untrustworthy history with your own family, you don't seek them out, thinking somehow there will be none of the same worries about a spouse. HRH has this problem, though : he is so interested in giving the benefit of the doubt that he's unreasonably forgiving.

Part of this is me having red flags raised in my own mind years ago when everyone assumed she was a good spouse to the cousin and I was alone in my thinking. Then when I was proved right, and there was so much misery, I assumed I'd never have to talk about it again because my feelings were obviously in line with others. Now I wish I'd talked and talked, even gossiped up a storm to HRH so that he couldn't possibly forget to consult me.

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Thu May 13, 2021 2:39 pm

No idea about what the fiddleheads look like if they are grown more. My dad used to get them every year and my dh likes to get them every year.

Some of the motels in the falls are scary looking. Some just look tacky. I must say that there have been a lot of renovations and repairs and painting done in the past year. Another main road was all torn up for repairs yesterday as well. It has a few of the major hotels on it.

Seems dh wants last night's left over beef with pasta and sauce and the fiddleheads tonight. Trying to figure it out. I still have a couple of hours, although I could start the sauce early.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Thu May 13, 2021 2:50 pm

Well, here I cannot make the day MINE because DH ha already claimed it. He — which means WE — are doing his monster towel laundry marathon... PLUS it is once again time to ascend Mt. Ironmore.
In dgd’s words, I think this would be “much more better” if DH would do this in smaller bits, but no... and there is no changing him at this point. The man will be 70 years old in August.

(((Twins))) You are doing GREAT! Just hang in there. So glad to hear about the cousin up there. That is wonderful news!

(((Harriet))) Men. Phooey on all men.
Tomorrow is another day.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu May 13, 2021 3:27 pm

I posted over in J&C. Things are back on more even keel and I am going with her. She apologized. :lol:

Harmony, this is just me and dd.

The trip I did with the kids in 2006 was the "Dead Presidents" trip LadyM, because we went to Springfield IL, Mount Rushmore and the Truman museum in Kansas, in addition to other stops. I did research on things to do along the way so we could drive and day and sightsee a day. I think the trip chooses the name, like the sorting hat! That is a good thought to lighten things up.

LOL, about Sheldon claiming your day, Lucylee.

I got errands done, also ran into a Staples for a power strip. I like to have one in a hotel room because I have a CPAP, and phone, iPad and laptop to keep charged.

Yes, Harriet, dh sometimes charges off on some mission with out consultation, like when he bought all those dried mushrooms. I end up throwing away some of what he buys at Costco because it's something I just don't cook with, or remember. You can still cancel, you know?

Cathy, I assume the fiddleheads are just the tips of the emerging ferns? How are they cooked?

WTG on getting the light fixtures installed, Nancy!

I'm glad you're able to keep cool, RR. It sounds like fun, but I don't know if I could take the heat!

I'm going to fold the laundry from the dryer, and then start on planting. It is a gorgeous day here!
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Thu May 13, 2021 3:46 pm

LadyM, what brand vacuum was that cute one? Is it a wetvac or just a regular vac? I

Henry is NaceCare brand which is made in Britain. He is a cordless canister vacuum. It took me a long time to decide on a vacuum because I had some requirements that didn't make it easy.
** I didn't want to a cord since I've tripped over the vacuum cord several times. The cord keeps getting caught under doors and furniture. It is common for me to turn the furniture upside down in order to remove the cord from being tangled in the legs. Also, I usually vacuum the entire house every time and I find it to be a PITA to plug & unplug the cord over and over as I move from one room to another,
** I didn't like that most cordless vacuums have the motor up top which means holding 4-6 lbs in my hands while vacuuming, Henry's motor weight is in the canister which easily rolls along following me.
** I didn't want a bagless vacuum that has to be taken outside to dump the dust/dirt out of the cup each use. It could be dumped indoors but that means it goes into the inside air.

Henry met all my requirements plus the fun factor. I really like him having a face and name. The face can easily be removed for those who don't care for it. Here is a video review of Henry and how he operates.

87 SHE card completed. I'm on track to meet my macro, calorie, and step goals for today.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Thu May 13, 2021 4:51 pm

I am following the directions on the package, which say to trim, wash and then boil for 12 minutes.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

Lisa B.

Postby Lisa B. » Thu May 13, 2021 5:20 pm

Hello Everyone,

Another day done....worked 11 hours today....had to take a nap after work.

Hubby did the laundry, I did help fold them once off the line.
Tomorrow he will do the vacuuming of the upstairs as that is the only place and the stairs we have carpets.
He will also wash the kitchen, bathroom and lounge area floors tomorrow.
This is all what he has told me he's going to do tomorrow.

Tomorrow I have a team building thing with the rest of my colleagues in our department.
This will be at a restaurant nearby....social distancing will be adhered to as per our managers and director.
This puts me in a little bit of a quandry as I cannot wear a cloth mask - I can only use a shield but certain places here don't allow shields.
Unfortunately for me, masks bring on a bout of asthma attacks, and dr's here will not give letters to let a person walk around with nothing over their face.
We are still under lock down rules.....last year we had some of the worst draconian measures the world had seen regarding the current health situation around the entire planet, but we are currently on level 1 and going into winter here. Third wave is beginning according to our news reports here.

Been doing a little crafting tonight, not much, only about 15 or 20 minutes worth.
“The most effective way to do it, is to do it.” ~ Amelia Earhart
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me.” – Ayn Rand

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu May 13, 2021 10:41 pm

Lisa, a nap was so smart after an 11-hour day! I'm sorry to hear you are concerned about a 3rd wave now and hope it will be short and less difficult. Dd22 also has to make a tough decision tomorrow for a large work gathering, and it's also because it's at another venue, a restaurant. She's not the only one thinking about this at work, and the CEO is trying to get outdoor tables, but everybody is asking for the restaurant's outdoor tables, as you can imagine. Dd's told her boss that if it's indoors and crowded, she may wear a mask during the talks then quietly excuse herself before the meal.

Verdict on the non-issue of standing water under our house - it's been raining. Duh. There is no leak anywhere. It's just that finally after enough deluges you still get some water. HRH also reached a compromise in that I went out on errands while they were here. He was welcoming, but to the yard only. So it was a professional and formal time, not a visit as it would have been if I were at home. Verdict on the roof for my parents' house - we're thinking about their estimate. We don't have to go with any particular company, no promises.

Return to “Post When You Can”