Seasonal Saturday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Seasonal Saturday

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:58 am

For me that means a snowy Saturday, December 2.

For you it might mean something else.

For us this is just 'bonus' snow; we have a weather statement saying 6" starting tomorrow afternoon is possible. Right now there's about an inch of unexpected snow out there but it is melting on the roads so the going is still fairly good. In the meantime, it is really pretty outside because there's a decent dusting of snow over everything.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Seasonal Saturday

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:58 am

My goals for today are to get my balcony winter planter made up (it is above freezing so I should be able to get the autumn fake foliage out of it) and my kitchen lights/ornaments up. Both those require a trip to the store.

A trip to the store requires being dressed for the day.

So away I go!

P.S. despite the slow start to getting dressed for the day, I actually slept pretty well last nigh, in my own bed. I woke up coughing a few times but it was short-lived and I only got out of bed at 6 for a walk around and to take a decongestant. I then dozed until after 7.

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:18 am

Thanks for starting us today Kathryn!

Contractor guy has been here since 8:45. Dh has the stereo on. This guy warbles when he whistles and he whistles to every song. If I wasn't so happy that he's finally here and getting the job done, I would be OUTSIDE somewhere, anywhere. Plus this morning he told us that he hates cats. Doesn't have any pets.

The whole house is a mess, but I don't really care right now. The hall is getting painted!

No idea what is for supper. I'm just waiting for this job to be finished.

It's foggy here this morning.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:28 am

Good morning

Kathryn- Thank you for opening the village this morning. Glad to hear the coughing is getting better. The beauty of snow falling is something I dream of seeing.

The first 4 hours of my day have been smooth. We are about to leave to watch the 5th basketball game of this week that DS15 girlfriend is playing. Thankfully it is being played in our little town, so the to/from travel time is minimum.

DS15 is eager to arrive early at the game so he is walking while wishing his pickup motor was working. Yesterday his boss provided DS15 a tractor to drive so he could get to the multiple places he needed to go to accomplish his work.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:49 am

Happy for you, Cathy.

Seasonal will be something we're getting ready for here, not anything we can look at or admire right now. So many seasonal projects are close but bottlenecked by delay. One thing I can do is try to come up with verse and words for dd's card image. She says she almost has the art complete, but can't get back to it until bday celebration with the young man's friends is over, and that's a day trip today. I do have the sketch. She'll have tomorrow off, but the printer will be closed, so it looks like sometime this week I'll have to go alone to printer, and I'm just not the expert she always is.

lucylee, HRH points out that we were only looking at bulky hoodies and insulated jackets, not the classic Carh ardtt work jackets that would "turn briars", as my ddad would have explained usefulness. Even hoodies are so pricey. Anyway, we ultimately chose gifts from the list that looked more like true wishes for boys, that hopefully will have the rest of the family wanting to see when boxes are opened.

I've realized that HRH has forgotten our niece, and he will be determined to get her something, so we're actually only 5 for 8 in the child-gift-purchases project right now. He needs to call his brother again!

The difference in our family members is so stark - my older kids get started SO early compiling wish lists with explanations, and dd43 even has her own notes on which in series, or what has been wished for longest, even WHY it's wanted, etc. His family members are like, "plush toys?, pajamas?, whatever YOU think". lol. We're lucky to get a size. And my truly nagging question is, how can you suggest plush toys and not say which? There's a universe of them out there!

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Sat Dec 02, 2023 12:27 pm

I recently bought dh one of that company's non hoodie, 1/4 zipper with a kangaroo pouch from a river. Just over $100, but dh tends to wear anything by that company over any other long sleeve top that he has. Some of them have just a small patch with the logo and others have the name going down the left arm. Expensive, but durable and well-loved. Dh appreciates them and it's something that is going to last, so I would rather spend the money on that brand than buy something less expensive that won't last.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Dec 02, 2023 1:00 pm

hello everyone!

I am feeling so so so much better today.
I got past what I needed to and feeling like myself again for which I am very grateful.

dd younger reminded me that sometimes part of mom's life may be stronger now as she is older and has dementia. Her way of thinking and her past comments has nothing to do right now in my life.It only will become a problem if I get stuck in the past feelings. Mom's thinking about men and the roles of women doesn't have to be mine to take on. Grateful that my youngest has always had an ability with insight.

I moved forward and when I picked up mom - I just enjoyed the moment - Her dementia has been bad the last couple days and she knows she is discombobulated.

Grateful yesterday is just another learning experience and I am always better for it!

I have to drive dd younger to the airport in a half an hour. I will miss her and loved this time!!! we agreed that adds dog and dogs will be very depressed for a couple days bc we are separating them for a couple weeks. sweet dogs always struggle for a week.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Dec 02, 2023 1:03 pm

waving to you all. d Kathryn I can't believe it is Dec. 2!!!
thank you for starting us!

hi d cathy!

hi d harriet!

hi d lady!

hello all dear ones!

what will be the job that will help the house feel in order:
finish setting up Christmas simply.
order presents.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Dec 02, 2023 1:13 pm

I was up on time that felt like sleeping in today! LOL! :mrgreen:
Still working on my journaling but did take a couple breaks to do a few tasks & get more coffee LOL!
Yesterday I realised that when I layered a warm vest with a hoodie it was perfect for 32* degree temps we had! Win win bc it was less bulky and great
for shopping inside most of the time actually.
I am thankful I do not have to shope or decide on gifts just give $ works and is way less stressful if it's' not right that is not on me.
I am less prompt this year bc I was not at the turkey day gathering I usually give some then,
Snow is gone watching leaves fall and they have snow at top of the hills all around me.

I am still working on my writing project and it is basically more planning and journals got off track when I was ill & no heat that week was
so very distracting. So I'm continuing to work on it.

Today is my seasonal giving day~ a gal is coming to pick up donations for a formerly homeless family I have quite a bit I can
let go of by am not going to move it till I know if they need it and or have room plus I will get help from the gal picking
stuff up and I do not know how big her rig is. I kept thinking of things I could let go of as I was writing. LOL! :mrgreen:
It is so much fun to shop for the things at estate sales and yard sales and I do not always get them painted. :roll:
Last edited by Nancy on Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MysteryWoman

Postby MysteryWoman » Sat Dec 02, 2023 1:17 pm

Good afternoon!

It is chilly with rain here; I’d say I’d rather have flurries, but it’s warm enough they’d just melt on contact, and the end result would be the same.

DH is proctoring standardized testing today (ACT, SAT, I don’t know), and I don’t know when he’ll be back. If he’s taken the extended time room, he might be as late as 2. We are scheduled to do the livestream at church, which means being there at 3:30 till a bit after 5, and we will go to see the play put on by the college’s theatre club this evening. DC is not actually in the play but has been helping with set construction and will be selling tickets. So our day is a bit chopped up.

Though a little less choppy now — DH is home already! He said he only had one student in the extended time room. She only needed the extended time on one section and finished the rest early!

I need to have some lunch and find some motivation to work on dailies. The gray weather has me wanting to curl up and doze off.

I ought to ask folks around here what they want for Christmas so I can agonize over it with the rest of you. ;) For now, I remain blissfully ignorant of their desires.

Have a good day, all!
I've got my country's 500th anniversary to plan, my wedding to arrange, my wife to murder, and Guilder to frame for it; I'm swamped. -- Prince Humperdinck

Return to “Post When You Can”