First-rate Friday PWYC

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Twins' Mom

First-rate Friday PWYC

Postby Twins' Mom » Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:18 am

First-rate: of the first order of size, importance, or quality

We probably think of first-rate in terms of quality - what is a quality day in your home? Quietude? Activities? Order? Family? Peace? Achieved goals?
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Twins' Mom

Re: First-rate Friday PWYC

Postby Twins' Mom » Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:24 am

For me, today is kinda survival mode, getting through with some joy hopefully. A peaceful clean house because dcleaning lady will be here. Perhaps creativity which should pull my mood up. I had to go upstairs earlier to get my planner book, which I left up there yesterday. Arranged some festive design paper on the stamping desk, which is cleaned up a bit. I'd like to get the little refrigerator and plant stand out of there this weekend and am undecided about trying to sell v. taking to Goodwill v. offering free to someone to take away.

Dh is spending the afternoon at temple making latkes. Tonight is service and then dinner at temple. I'm still feeling I don't want to be around people. Dh joked that the COVID test was a way to avoid going but I think being around people might be good for me. Not sure. We'll be in two cars so I can pack latkes and come home if I need to.

Speaking of dcleaning lady, I need to get moving.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:42 am

Good morning!

I had a rough start of the night, and was contemplating moving to the recliner but apparently fell asleep, had a vivid dream about interacting with a bear (who stole my keys and appeared to have opposable thumbs because he managed to get them into the lock on the cottage!) and woke to dh jumping up, apologizing and saying it was 6:45. My alarm was to go off at 7 but he had leave at 7 to meet up with ds and dgs at 8.

He made it out the door. My 8:30 has been moved to tomorrow so I'm still at my keyboard.

We had a wonderful day yesterday. First, working with the seniors, starting with a delicious Christmas lunch where we sit apart from each other and provide them with fresh people to talk with, then they had three harpists perform and finally we led everyone in Christmas Carol singing and they were singing lustily which was joyous to hear. I'm amazed this group, a Day-Away program for those with confusion but still able to function enough to move around, feed and toilet themselves, remember us from visit to visit but they are always so welcoming even if they don't know our names! Their comments let me know they know and remember our last visits, in fact one fellow said he likes it better when I come too (last time it was just dh as I was too overwhelmed with other responsibilities to take the time to practice and go.)

The staff were thrilled to be back in the hall in Kenmore for the first time since 2020. In fact, their last time there, we were there too as I distinctly remember the drive home and listening to the radio with all the cancellations pouring in and me making up a 4 week grocery list and diverting us to the grocery store in order to buy everything we'd need if we couldn't leave the apartment for weeks on end.

After we left the hall, since we had to drive past dd's (sort-of) to get home, we stopped in and visiting with the grands for a few hours.

Then we did groceries and ate out and I picked up things for the guy in the other building. He's in pain today and overwhelmed with treatments (he has a PSW and home care) so I will deliver them tomorrow.

When I got home and had put away the groceries, I had an hour long call with my sister making arrangements for her to visit over Christmas. She is anxious to be away from home but also anxious about being alone at Christmas. So she'll come up, she hopes on the 23rd (although I stressed the 22nd worked too) and will go home on the 25th (although I stressed she was welcome to stay until the 27th.) We'll see what train tickets are left when she goes to book this morning. And I hope she does do the booking because there are only 4 direct trains a day (and she couldn't manage a connection, she's too confused) and on the 23rd two of them were sold out and only 2 tickets left on each of the others and I doubt she'll actually take either of them as one leaves at 6 a.m. and the other arrives here at 11 p.m. (I hope she doesn't take that one because we'll have to pick her up and I have such a busy day on the 24th I wanted an early bed.)

Today is wide open but primarily my work is to finish up the service for the 31st enough for the church secretary. I offered to do the bulletin too, in the style she is proposing (in response to complaints from the congregation that our old 1 piece of paper is now 2 - 3 pieces of paper because the new minister insists.) If I do up this one, which will include the words to a hymn so is a good example of a complex bulletin, we can evaluate it with both styles in hand when we meet to talk about the change in January. In the meantime, I'm not making any more work for the church secretary (who is on the verge of quitting due to unreasonable expectations by our new minister.)

In completely other news, the drive out to Kenmore was idyllic because all trees are painted with snow and the rural areas, and tree lined streets in the city, are a magical winter wonderland. It turns out this was due to the longest snowfall we've ever experienced, 58 hours and 53 minutes of continuous (but mostly very light) snow. In total, we only received 6" of snow and most of that fell between Sunday night and mid-day on Monday. After that, despite at freezing or above freezing temps, it continued to lightly snow but was just replacing any snow that was melting.

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/ottawa-record ... -1.6675464

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:54 am

Twins: I'm sad that people have not learned Covid tests are not an excuse to avoid doing things. They (and masks) are a way to help others avoid getting sick over the holidays.

I'm still masked both to keep my self healthy and to make others more comfortable if I have a coughing fit (I'm sure I'm not contagious and I chose to eat lunch yesterday with the seniors, obviously unmasked, and sing unmasked so they could hear me, but I was masked at dd's both because of my cough but also since they got sick a third time since the beginning of Nov with yet another illness). I have 2 church services to lead over the holidays, and am serving communion this week, hosting the residents' Christmas party next weekend, and having my sister come up. There's babysitting in there and of course, our family dinner on the 28th.

I don't want to get sick whether it is Covid, flu, RSV, pneumonia, or simply a cold. Since every where I go I hear unmasked people coughing, I mask to also protect myself.

You'd think, over the months of us listening to public health information while almost all activities were shut down, that people would have learned that spreading any illness is an antisocial thing to do. But apparently not, since people are back to going out when they are obviously under the weather (and, of course we have no idea about others who are out despite feeling achy or a sore throat or a raised temperature but either having to work because they can't afford to give up the income, or feel a responsibility to others), yet not wearing a mask in order to keep their germs to themselves.

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:38 am

Hi!

Cat sitter is coming today at 5 to learn about our 3 cats and their feeding schedule. I would love to have the kitchen cleared up by then.

A couple of weeks ago I went to the Monday afternoon knitting group and the lady sitting closest to me had a mask on and you could tell she wasn't well. Her voice was cracking and she was coughing. Well... she decided to have a drink of her tea and pulled down her mask. Then she didn't pull it back up for quite a while. Dh and I were both sick by Wednesday. It really irked me. I really wanted to say something to her, but typical me, I didn't.

Dh is making breakfast.

No idea what is for supper.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:17 am

Good morning

The first 4 hours of my day are going smoothly. I did 12 cards the first 2 hours and 5 cards each of the last 2 hours. I carry all my cards for the day in a pocket. i remove the cards and file them as they are completed. I start the day with a substantial stack of cards, and I can visually see the volume and feel the weight of the cards decreasing as the day progresses. Ideally, I would end each day without any cards in my pocket but that hasn't happened yet. I have several ideas of cards that I am eager to add but I'm holding that as a carrot as I first learn to finish all the cards I already have.

DS15 leaves for his fishing trip this afternoon. I was thinking he would be gone for 48 hours but it is more like 30 hours. He will return tomorrow night. They will make a 4 hour drive there today and stay in a cabin. Tomorrow, they meet with guide and he takes them on a boat to fish. How long they are on the boat depends on the weather and the number of fish they catch. When they reach their limit, they will stop fishing whether it is 2 hours or 8 hours. All the fish they catch are then cleaned and packed in ice to bring back. It will be kept for the community fish fry that is held every year. I am thankful that DS15 has a group of trustworthy mentors that make it possible for him to go on these types of trips.

This morning I watched one of my favorite yt channels. I like watching channels that inspire me or teach me something. ANYway, I was inspired to make a breakfast casserole. I used most of the same ingredients as she did but I prepared them differently. The end result was very good.

I am waiting for DH to get ready so we can leave for the gym.

I am trying to remember the last time I saw someone wear a mask. I remember a couple of weeks ago when I was shopping in Sams that I saw a lady wearing a mask. I went to the big city and spent a day in crowds and don't remember seeing anyone wearing a mask. However, I acknowledge since I am not thinking of mask wearing so it could be happening and I just don't see it. It fascinates me how many people can look at something and see things that others don't.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:06 pm

I like little mountain ranch YouTube channel as well d lady!

hi d twins thank you for starting us!
do you think your dh will send all of us some latkes?! I will be waiting!
have a good day

hi d I am so happy you had a wonderful day yesterday d Kathryn!
funny how our dreams seem so real! hope tonight you have a gentle night sleep.
I am praying for your d sister! to give her peace.
stay safe in all the snow!

hi d cathy! how nice to have a cat sitter! wonderful! I am getting excited for you!

hi d lady glad the first 4 hours are going smoothly!
hope your ds has a wonderful fishing trip!

hello dear all!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:16 pm

I didn't see mom all day yesterday as I slept and slept and slept. I feel (and probably look) like Rip van Winkle. I slept until 9 am this morning as well!
still feeling a bit weak but I am awake.

dd older will be going to mom's to give her lunch and meds. dd will bring mom back here for the rest of the day. I do feel bad about not going over there but she was fed etc. She did call at night and said her tv wasn't working. (she had unplugged her tv again and it gets kerplookey when she does that.
I could have gone over but both dd's said not to.

alrighty time to put collars on dogs and let them run outside.
pull cards.

coffee
it is always a joy to be here with you!

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:36 pm

I am working up a sweat here... Dishes are getting done. Why can't I keep up with them on a daily basis? Bedroom has been swept. Hallway was swept and mopped. I have to leave here in an hour and I still have some things to get done.

We might have grilled cheese for supper. I don't know about soup. I know that I don't want soup. I don't know about dh.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:19 pm

Well I made to my coffee gathering and came home ready to fold laundry… that reminds me I have towels in my washer waiting to be dried.

Came home and found two packages waiting for me. One had the Christmas books I ordered for the grands. Sat down and read both of them and am very pleased with those purchases.

The other box had the planner I saw the other day and decided to order it. It’s the same one Lucylee ordered last year/

I already love it and can’t wait to start using it. All my daily routines are listed the in a check list along with each days focus. Great weekly reminders like cleaning out your car or refrigerator. Plenty reminders for monthly projects and spaces where I can fill in my own.

It’s gonna work just like my cards. Has nifty daily and monthly calendars as well and will fit in a nook of my kitchen counter. Also has lots of pages where I can write notes and reminders to myself which I need. I’m always scrounging around for paper to write down a book or restaurant or something I want to look up on the net. Now I can keep them all in one place

Rest of my day will be spent finishing my laundry and doing some desk work. I declared a night out for dinner so that’s taken care of
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Return to “Post When You Can”