Calendar Countdown Monday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Twins' Mom

Calendar Countdown Monday

Postby Twins' Mom » Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:36 am

Christmas is two weeks from today. And New Year's Day is three weeks away! Are you on track? Thinking ahead? Pacing yourself?
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Calendar Countdown Monday

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:49 am

Twins beat me this morning!

Here's what I had written.

For my generation, and in this case I'm using the term as its definition of around 25 - 30 years, the children of this city were marched off to school each morning by Ken The General Grant, a local morning radio announcer.

For my baby-boomer generation, school started around 9 and basically all city children walked to school. So around 8:25, he'd say Happy Birthday to a child (whose parents had written in) and then march us off with:

Forward Ho!

followed by marching music.

It is a delightful memory that thousands of us share and it comes up in discussion on our local reddit and in person. He made a mark on this city!

This morning I have to put two productive days in a row. So Marching popped into my head as an M word for today's title. And then remembering General Grant.

Already, the bed is stripped and I just heard the washer stop. I've been through two light therapy cycles (it is really dreary here today) and my tea and chocolate, so it is time to push away from the computer and march on to finish up the housework (and get dressed) in the next 3 hours so I'm ready to head off with dh this afternoon.

(You can hear a bit about the marching off here, start at time stamp 7:54 https://mix97.com/2020/05/22/ken-the-general-grant/ )

Off I March!

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:15 am

Today would have been my dsis's 66th birthday; she died in 2016. Her birthday was two weeks before Christmas and New Year's day, and of course, I still think of it that way. December was a big month with her birthday, my birthday, and Christmas. Although I no longer celebrate Christmas I have strong memories of a special time of the year when I was growing up, and I feel melancholy - that and seasonal depression with shorter days too - this time of year. I just have to shake it off - I actually feel better once the days start getting longer again - that's all "in my head" of course since I'm sure my body doesn't detect that daylight is just a tiny bit longer.

Hanukkah is underway, and I always feel a sense of purpose going into a new year: there's decluttering, organization, goals ahead!

Oooh, Kathryn, I like your opening too! March on! In my little hometown it was Luther. He was the morning radio announcer - the way my parents talked about Luther I always believed they knew him personally - although it was only through his long-time morning radio. Luther was the announcer for lost dogs, kittens to give away, and most importantly, snow closings! We would hold our breath and wait and hope as Luther went through his list of school closings. And two days in June 1968 I remember clearly hearing Luther talk about RFK assassination and death even before I was out of bed. (School was already out, so I think I was sleeping in, but dmom must have turned the radio up some too.) I don't remember whether Luther announced birthdays too.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Dove

Postby Dove » Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:10 am

Good morning! :)

I think I'm on track for Christmas & New Years Eve, in terms of celebrating. I would like to finish taking care of more 2023 odds & ends to start 2024 fresh, but there may not be enough time. I am also doing Christmas prep tasks by memory, & haven't even set up my Holiday Notebook yet.

Kathryn, it was fun to read your memories of marching to school as a child 8-)

((Twins)) I'm so sorry about the loss of your dsis & feeling melancholy. ((More hugs))

I wrote a lengthy On (Off?) My Mind l*st recently & wrote a 5 Things To Do Tomorrow L*st last night. Which is now 9 things :P . I bought a stick vacuum with good reviews for the family room downstairs on Cyber Monday & it is put together & battery has charged. I need to reread the instructions (I don't even remember where the On/Off switch is), bring it downstairs & try it out. Also on the list is rehanging three lightweight wall & door decorations that were put up with putty & fell down. That has always worked well before but I need another solution. Writing Christmas cards is a must today, & there is added incentive to get this done as dh will be driving right past the post office later today. Setting up Holiday Notebook is also on the list; I need to make that a priority.

Was woken up over an hour before alarm this AM by dcat who sneezed loudly right next to my head. I was in a deep sleep & dreaming, so woke up a little panicked instead of just startled. Tried to go back to sleep after that but no luck. Dinner is leftover General Tso's chicken & rice for dh, & I'll probably make 2 eggs on toast with some guacamole for myself. Delighted to have found some little guac cups years ago sold at S am's. They freeze well & keep in the fridge for a long time if not opened. There's maybe 2 TBSP + or - in each one so no waste.

Better get moving. Thinking of you all. Hope you have a wonderful day! :)

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:59 am

I'm up on time today 5:30 w/out the loud truck down the street.
Thanks for the great openings ~today!
qt stuff was productive yea!

Getting ideas lined out for the new year on paper now. Wa-hoo!
Maintenance week feels on track for me yea!
I need to do some marching forward to do tasks like d's dishes etc.
after bfast.
-------
Had bfast did dishes
Got dressed
Called to get Rx refill going to pick up later in the week.
Mailed a Card.
Made a yt short x 2 for this week with the ddoggo.
Got out planners for Jan. deciding how & what pages to put where. Had to get two b/c they quite making pages for
my faith planner, :idea: so I will use the others they have lines I'll just ignore the dates.
Walked the ddog.
Had lunch.
Last edited by Nancy on Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:10 pm

Good Morning

Twins & Kathryn - Thanks for teaming up to get the village open today.

Dove - I wonder if command hooks work to hang the decorations. I also freeze guacamole in individual serving size. It makes it so easy to keep on hand.

I've filled my big cast iron skillet twice this morning and have increased our ready-to-eat stash. Manwich and fried potatoes/onions/peppers are now available.

Yesterday I started using a 3x5 card to write my food plan for the day. It is helpful but it is too soon to know if it will work in the long term.

Yesterday I was taking DS15 to next town to meet with some of his friends. On the trip there he remarked that I was almost out of gas. WHAT?! I can't remember the last time my low gas light came on. The only gas station in our small town is typically 40-50 cents a gallon higher than Sam's gas so I just put $20 in the vehicle to get through the next couple days. I'll be in the city tomorrow night for DD12 counselor appt and can fill up then. This phase of our life includes 4-6 out of house trips a day. This morning had 3 out of house trips that meant 1.5 hours of driving.

Having increased fuel usage isn't great but on the other hand - i am happy with how well things are going. DD12 is enjoying school. DS15 homeschool is going well. He has multiple good friends and mentors that help keep him on a good pathway forward. DH and I are in a good groove with going to gym 5 times a week. I don't want to forget the good we get from driving those miles.

I might have done this before, but I don't remember it. Getting "prior authorization" for DH Jardiance prescription is now a PITA. The pharmacist can't refill it until the Dr office and insurance company comes to an agreement. I spent 20 minutes on the phone this morning tracking it down to make sure it doesn't fall through the cracks. I have a 3x5" card that I am writing who/what/when I've talked to people about it. I just refiled the card to Thursday and will start calling again if I haven't heard anything by then.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:29 pm

(((d twins))) I am thinking of you! The date of special dates of our loved ones can bring so many feelings of grief, wanting to skip the date, sweet sadness over the good memories and the feelings of loss that hurts our hearts. It is a very normal part of loss that is hard to bare or not be affected when the date comes around. The love for your sister is profound in your heart. The short days doesn't help. praying that as today comes and go that you better tomorrow.

i
Last edited by blessedw2 on Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:35 pm

Made to class even though I didn’t want to get out of bed. Should have stayed there. My side start hurting as soon as the music came on so I just marched in place for 30 minutes while holding my side.

Came home and started to drink my second cup of coffee only to discovered my dr appointment was today not tomorrow …was able to make it on time. My BP meds that have caused me to be so exhausted, disrupted my sleep and caused some mild brain confusion has been discontinued… thank the Lord. Now I am on a three dose shots once a month for my headaches. Insurance required me to take the BP meds before this med
Could be prescribed for me. For 3 months I kept daily note on my BP and how the meds were effecting me. My PA broke out laughing when he read where I wrote one day… I feel like sh*t.

Anyway this new med has a good history of reducing or getting rid my my cluster and regular migraines.

Kathryn… you should to explain to your dh is your grandson is autistic one of things they tend to do is refuse to echo social cues that make no sense to them. They’re not trying to be offense, they just don’t get the idea of saying good night, or how are you, thank you or any other social cues NAs do. Also many don’t like to be touch because it’s a sensory thing for them.

That’s why many of them won’t wear certain clothes and repeatedly wear the same ones. Some wll only eat the same things over and over again because of the same thing. Many of my parents had a difficult time getting their kids to take a shower or wash their hair because the child can’t handle the feeling of water hitting their body’s or face.

I know many autistic adults how are like that as well. Being autistic has many challenges the most of the general public don’t understand
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:11 pm

Body work, bank, post office and grocery store done. I came home instead of going on to the drugstore or getting gas or washing the car. I was hungry and didn't want to hit the kitchen starving. I bought a big salad at Publix and once, home, added green leaf lettuce and pulled out some of the iceburg lettuce that looked wilted. The salad had turkey, ham, feta, egg, bacon bits and lettuce - augmented with something other than iceburg it's an excellent lunch.

I put away perishables and sat down to eat and I'm sitting. Need to get up in a minute and finish putting away and figure out what's next.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:29 pm

I think I'll:

-walk the dog a couple of laps
-finish putting things away from trip out and lunch
-head upstairs to stamp

Return to “Post When You Can”