Sunday Sleigh Ride & Friends Are Calling, "Yoo Hoo!"

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Harriet

Re: Sunday Sleigh Ride & Friends Are Calling, "Yoo Hoo!"

Postby Harriet » Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:51 pm

Stop-starts on gift wrapping are not exactly gliding along, lol. With the counter-height bar, I wrap a little, have to clear off a while in fear of splashes or food prep from kitchen side, then wrap a little. Sigh. I need a card table in the LR, maybe, because I need a marathon session to get the wrapping done. I could try the coffee table, but I think I'd be in an uncomfortable position, and anyway, it needs to be freed up for living, too.

I made one box myself, which is something I haven't done in a few years, but dgdC's present needed strength and a certain shape. A bag would have tipped.

A-river delivery left a package at our mailbox they said last night. So, out into the dark because it was going to start raining heavily overnight, plus how can you leave packages just sitting out at the road. Turns out there were two leaned up against our mailbox post AND two leaned up against dd43's, and she's away. Both of us have very secure porches that are ALWAYS used, but I guess this driver just doesn't bother with driveways after dark (5:30-6:00?). One of hers was in thin, clear plastic fully showing the shirt inside - that also seems newly weird to me. Hidden at my house now.

Ramblin', I think hosting your ddil's dad makes a lot of sense, and even better that it's when he has her aunt as his guest. Do let others help you if you have pain.

Comfy cozy are we - yes. We don't need to go out. It is cold and rainy.

Enjoyed the church service online this morning. They are employing the entire sanctuary in a sort of timeline all around the interior walls. Very interesting.

Nancy your house smells good! Once in my life I braided bread dough in a wreath shape. It was kinda hard, but so pretty. I always said I'd do it again but never have!

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:52 pm

Back from grocery and starting the soup. It's quite involved but excellent once it's made. :roll: And I got out to grocery.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:01 pm

Bread is not braided, still raising. / Just turned it on.
Got my hair combed out.
Desk is cleaned & wiped out yea!
Sipping juice after bfast.
Time for lunch prep. already.
I got out some containers for foods.
Walked around the block.
tree trimmers are done with that loudness.
Picked up the back yard.
Bread is wrapped and cooling now.
Nice and sunny out now.
Last edited by Nancy on Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:41 pm

Harriet… I used my island when wrapping my presents. However when I didn’t have one I would use my card table.

Now that I know who is coming for dinner in and start getting my week ready with my preparations.
I am going to make my new green bean and cranberry recipe tonight for Sweetie to test out

I am planning to serve wine or Champaign for those who want it for our Christmas meal. However my son told me ddil aunt who has dementia but is a recovering Alcoholic and suggested we not use stemmed wine glasses so she wouldn’t realize what we were drinking. He seems to think she would really realize what we had, but luckily I have some very beautiful short Chrystal glasses that were my moms so we will use those

Ddil’s father said he is old school and felt bad that he had nothing to bring, so I suggested he bring a very nice non-alcoholic bottle of something for his sister and anyone else who might like it…thinking of course of the kids.

I will need to pull my dinningroom table out and on a slant to accommodate the aunts wheel chair but that’s no biggie. However I am making my moms famous rum cake for dessert…one of my sons favorites and am worried about it. It’s only baked with a small amount of rum but my son didn’t think it would be a problem. I may make an easy cheese cake to have on hand just in case.

Everything I’m planning to serve can be made or made ready to cook ahead of time. When I get a bit anxious about all of this, I have to remind myself I have made several buffet company dinners that served 20-30 people without any help, though it’s been a while. Plus my Mardi Gras and Kentucky Derby parties were for 40-50 people. All without a hitch … it’s just been awhile.

Need to open up my new planner to the monthly calendar pages so I can see all the days at a glance and start planning my week … I am excited about hosting this Cmas dinner.

I did find a restaurant that will be open for Christmas and it’s even close to home. Now if my hand will
Cooperate.

Ddil’s father is a retired dr and was in charge of and worked in several very large ER’s and later became administrated of one of St Pete’s largest hospital. Maybe he will have some words of wisdom for my hand if it’s still acting up.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:33 pm

ho ho ho

I fed her
mom has been here all day - dd older made her cookies and we will be decorating them soon
mom helped me wrap some presents
she wasn't thrilled with the idea of the white elephant (Or wrapping them) - she doesn't see the humor in it. she has never played it so she can't understand dh's family does.
the dogs are happy to be with her.

I am saying a prayer for me to have kindness and patience with mom. She can't help her comments. she just says it exactly the way she sees things. it's not meant with mean but it is direct. I feel so bad that I feel frustrated. praying for me to have a kind and understanding heart right now.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:09 pm

((blessed))

The gift for DangerBoy, ordered December 2, is "slightly delayed". Oh, dear. HRH says if it had shipped already, they might still say that but would give a shipped date. I fear it simply will not have time to get here. One of the nice things was free shipping, so even if it does ship tomorrow, for instance, I doubt if they ship in a hurry. This may be one of the awkward times I have to print out a photo or something and hope he understands. Not very merry.

Otherwise, just two children's presents to go, and they are not for the Saturday party anyway. HRH's gifts to sister, mother, dd43 have not yet arrived but don't worry me so much. One of HRH's gifts is too large to wrap and not to worry about, either. Another will be relatively easy to wrap as soon as I can sneak around him. Need to finish dstepson's and then wrap.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:31 pm

feeling better now that I got that prayer out! thank you all for always making me feel better.

Mom is enjoying the dogs sitting next to her as she watches- -walker Texas ranger (she is snoozing as well) - her hand is on one of the dogs paws. :D

first load of dishes washing themselves. dd older said - cooking is time consuming! 8-) (this made me smile). "There are so many layers to decorating fancy cookies."She was a bit flustered by how things were working out and she took my suggestion to take a break.

The cookies taste delicious - much better without the frosting (I won't tell dd older that but they are really good plain!).

She has been the spirit of Christmas this season!!!

all the presents are wrapped for now. I need to finish shopping for dd older tomorrow.
I also have stocking stuffers for dd's, dh, and d mom to pick up tomorrow as well.

mom also needs christmas centerpiece and christmas napkins for her Christmas Eve dinner with d brother and his wife.
I did invite them but d brother says it works well for him this way.
-----------------------------------------------

d harriet I am sorry that danger boy's gift didn't come in yet. praying it gets here soon.
you and everyone here have been working Christmas miracles and have the Christmas spirit like the jolly old elf!

hello d rose happy cooking trying out those recipes
how sweet that he wants to bring something. I think you will have a wonderful gathering!

I can't wait to hear how your kitchen smells d Nancy when that beautiful bread is baking.
desk looks great!
hope you had a great day

hi d twins I am sure the soup will be wonderful!

hi d lady I love that feeling after a good service at church.

hi dear everyone!
Last edited by blessedw2 on Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:34 pm

things to think about:

Christmas Day cooking. mom will be here for brunch and dinner. (we open presents in the morning) d sis in law asked if we wanted to come as well.
so we shall see. plan a menu.

Christmas Eve: make sure I have an appetizer and something else for dh's dear family.
what will I wear?

dd younger was invited to a dinner party from a nice woman at work.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:30 pm

second load of dishes are now washing.
I should hang up my laundry
I should wash the stove and the sink
my body says it's tired

dd took mom home
Last edited by blessedw2 on Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:37 pm

Blessed… I know exactly how you feel. My mom was the same way and the older she got the worse her comments.

However they were only in my presence but I think my brother heard it too. To everyone else she was just a sweet, kind lady. My brother and I use to laugh when people would tell us how much my mom was and how “sweet” she was to them. She said some every unkind and hurtful things to me about my brothers wife. And my SIL was a very kind person to my mom. I would never repeat the things she would say to my brother and it got to the point I didn’t want to hear her comment anymore and shut my mom down when she would start to carry on with negative comments about any one.

So it’s ok to feel frustrated … I know I was. Give yourself some Grace even though I know from experience it can be difficult at times
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Return to “Post When You Can”