Weathering Monday PWYC

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Twins' Mom

Weathering Monday PWYC

Postby Twins' Mom » Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:17 am

Extreme temps, snow and floods.

How are you weathering your challenges today?

Weather:
: to bear up against and come safely through
weather a storm
weather a crisis
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

blessedw2

Re: Weathering Monday PWYC

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:42 am

thanking for helping us weather the storm d twins! a cheerful way to know we are being looked after today by al of us. :D as Martha Stewart says: it's a good thing! :D

hello everyone!

it's 48 degrees in our house. -13 outside (feels like-32) brrr
the furnace people are coming tonight.

I put up blankets on the door openings to separate the rooms we are in. I have the oven on in the kitchen and put an electric space heater in the kitchen as well. I put a blanket on the door to the laundry room bc it goes out to the garage and outside. I also put a blanket across the dining room and put a space heater there as well -dh reads the paper in there and the cat stays in there more than anywhere.

I will put the fire place on in the family room and keep it on all day. (that room is blanketed off from the kitchen so hopefully I will be able to open both rooms.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:45 am

Hi!

It isn't as windy today but the temperature has gone down. Other parts of the province have closed highways, roads closed due to flooding and lots of places had power outages over the weekend. I took my car out of the garage today and dh's truck had been out all weekend. His truck was just as clean as my car.

No idea what is for supper tonight.

Time to go to knitting.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:05 am

stay safe d cathy!!!!enjoy knitting!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:13 am

We are up from -5 for a low ... {{{Blessed}}}
F. Lo +3* / hi +16* Today. Not much difference one more day then snow .... sigh....
clear & sunny I peeked out to see the pink sunrise.
:idea: Brought up froz. veg. to put in smaller containers set it outside till I"m ready to deal with that.
qt & most journal done.
Basics today d's get trash ready and weekly stuff.
Enjoying my coffee.

Counting my blessings.
Yesterday my daughter told me I'm as healthy as a horse! LOL!
I have heat lights power and how & cold running water and no trees are down Portland is w/out power just saw on yt.
Rigs are good as of yesterday.
Fav. song is on.
Soup of the day today tba.
Last edited by Nancy on Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:19 am

We have fine snow coming down but it's not sticking much so far. Dh just went out to walk dMillie, he's been watching tv this morning. I got up late. I'm feeling a little achy - may be COVID shot and maybe not.

I'm hoping to head upstairs for awhile to get away. We're supposed to have dinner out, not sure what will happen with that. I'll consult with A and V later.

Oh, my, bw2! Cold! Our plan was always to close off one room to keep heat in. At least you have power, for us (particularly on the mountain) it was always when the power was off and no heat, light, etc.

Cathy, I wasn't sure if you might have flooding too. I have a genealogy friend in Maine and she's been posting photos of a battered old fort on the shore that's being eroded by storms. I'm glad you can get to knitting today.

Nancy, I think your temps have moderated a little, haven't they?
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:36 am

Good morning

(((Blessed))) No fun!

Our neighborhood lost electricity for 6 hours last night. It was 5F outside so the homes without auxiliary power or alternate heat sources (other than electricity) found themselves huddling under blankets to stay warm. They were invited over but didn't want to leave their dogs so chose to tough it out in hope the power would be restored ASAP. Power was restored around 2am.

One of our bathrooms has frozen water supply to the toilet. We have tried multiple ways to fix this, but nothing seems to work after hours in extreme cold.

Our aerobic septic system has flashing red light indicating it isn't working. Normally we would call THE MAN, but we suspect it is due to freezing and might resolve on its own once it gets above freezing.

Only two more days of this cold spell. We get above freezing on Wednesday.

I have grown tired of intentionally resting and don't want to do it anymore. I am making a gradual return to normal activities. SHE cards are being used today with a goal of accomplishing 5 cards per hour.

Frozen pizzas are on the menu today. We rarely have them, so it is something different. There is no school today so DD12 will be eating all her meals with us.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:21 pm

I am grateful our electricity is on! knock on wood!!! We are supposed to have this cold for 3 days and then it should break.
The kitchen is feeling cozy.
I am tired bc I didn't sleep as well I was still cold. I should have slept with a hat on.
I have my big iron pot is in the oven that I will pull out and put on the top stove to add a little more heat in the air.

My dd's think it's funny that I go into, (what they call), "wilderness mode". 8-) - funny girls. ;)

I am going to put the fire place on. I have the room separated so I should be able to keep that area toasty for the day and shut the flu tonight.

----------------
d lady - praying for everyone without power and without heat! Your poor neighbors! glad their power came back on!
oh no on your frozen water supply! praying that doesn't stay a problem.
it's a good idea re: cards - I will join you today on that.
--------------------
I hope the achy feeling goes away soon. I had that after my shot. it felt like I was getting covid again but it was just the shot. feel better d twins.
praying for everyone by you that doesn't have power. Last. time this happened was when it was -17 and an ice storm. No electricity then and we all slept in the family room. thinking of everyone!!!
Stay safe!
---------------------
I will say this this event has made me decide to get a camping stove again.
---------------------
hi d Nancy. sending you warmer weather!
enjoy your coffee.
--------------------
HELLO EVERYONE
---------------------

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:23 pm

oh well - time to start really focusing on card file.

dailies: personal and house (and animals - including feeding outside birds)
my dogs are asleep which is rare for the morning - they must be tired too.

today is supposed to be:
-heavy cleaning day
-bathroom zone
-make scones and banana bread.
-study
-reading

CARDS STARTING - TIMER ON

scones are in the oven
eating our soup from yesterday - lots of veggies in it. even dd older like it.
Last edited by blessedw2 on Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:21 pm

CI ~Mad bed.
I have dumped trash.
Done a swish n swipe.
UP to +7* F. yea!
Sun is streaming in.
Got more notes down for a project.
Time to check and see if I can bag up veg. in smaller sizes.
Then start soup. x
Fed ddoggo & put out some grains for birds.
Dd & dgd are fine.
Last edited by Nancy on Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Post When You Can”