Toot your horn Tuesday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Twins' Mom

Toot your horn Tuesday

Postby Twins' Mom » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:27 am

Toot your own horn today - whether you're tallying up the ta das or celebrating your own unique ways. And do some self talk tooting the horn while you're doing it, we need that positive self talk.

And if you're in traffic, keep the horn handy in case you need it for safety too.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Twins' Mom

Re: Toot your horn Tuesday

Postby Twins' Mom » Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:29 am

I'm mainly thinking of dd today, who called last night with a fresh round of anxiety when I didn't need it on me. I've really been low just lately - I'm not sure if it's been the entire month or last couple of weeks. My eyes were welling up when talking to dh at dinner and he hates it when that happens - he can't handle tears anyway but in public is far worse. I was trying to explain how the bad weather, stress of things freezing and the smoke detector stressing the dog, and now dd's issues, which I feel so deeply. I wish I had a therapist, I need to round one up for "as needed" appointments.

So I'm starting the day with some angst from feeling not too sympathetic to dd last night. We will have sun today, with a high of nearly 60, so I need to do at least three laps with the dog. I'm off on my steps and my workouts, the last two weeks, have been once a week.

I am getting dressed now to walk ddog. I'd prefer to wait, but yesterday, when she barked at me i made her go lie on the bed. And she stopped barking and did it. So she's waiting for me now and I want to get her soon as a reward for waiting w/o barking.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:33 am

I was up more than 2 hours before dh and I got a lot done. All garbage is out, composting is out and both cat litter boxes are clean. I also unloaded and reloaded the dishwasher. All this while going back and forth to the computer and playing a game on FBook.

Dh has had his coffee and the music is on.

We are having leftover spaghetti and meatballs for supper.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:03 am

Toot your own horn today - whether you're tallying up the ta das or celebrating your own unique ways. And do some self talk tooting the horn while you're doing it, we need that positive self talk.

I'm copy/pasting this into daily journal to remind myself. Thanks Twins!

I'm finishing up hour #3 successfully. Tuesday cards include the weekly trash to the road and that was also accomplished.

I have decided to give myself "permission" to check social media daily but only do it at a set time. Since I respond well to SHE cards I will be making 4 new daily cards.
Check FB for 10 minutes.
Check X for 10 minutes.
Check reddit for 10 minutes.
Check rumble for 10 minutes.
I also check snapchat when DS15 or friends post videos but those are quick 60 second type of interaction and I don't linger on snapchat after watching the videos.
I have a couple channels I watch on youtube and will use as rewards for finishing hourly cards. I don't get sucked into yt and lose track of time so I'm okay with not having constraints on it.
That feels like too much time (40 minutes) is being used for social media. I'm trying to find a sweet spot where it will be long enough to keep me informed. It is definitely better than my time evaporating for hours.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:10 am

If anyone wants to check of FOBBV Cam 1 on YT, Jackie and Shadow (eagles) currently have 2 eggs on the nest and it looks like there might be a third egg on it's way in the next 24 to 48 hours, based on Jackie's behaviour. She is "hovering" and not completely incubating the eggs at this time. According to the FB page for FOBBV (Fans of Big Bear Valley) the eggs don't get completely incubated until the entire clutch has been laid. I've spent way too much time over the past week watching this channel.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:53 am

Waving a quick hello - let me say: Rah Rah Rah to all of you! Toot your own horn! Rah rah rah!

guess what we have - really green grass popping through the snow!

hope to see you soon
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:11 pm

waiting for brother to call me to pick him up and drive him back.

I had the most awful night sleep - lack of sleep until I took a 1/4 of a melatonin at 3 am.
no pain which is good!
I was very frustrated when I finally woke up.
I think I need to have a better night time routine.

hello dear all!
hi d cathy - I never knew that they don't lay on their eggs until the brood has been laid. fascinating.
yay on your work!

hi d lady yay on your work!

hi d twins thank you for starting us - It's hard when our dd's need to release their anxiety to feel better - you want them to be able to talk to you but that anxiety can drain one very fast bc of the worry.
(((twins)))

I do know one thing, from my oldest daughter, these things do pass! They do survive just as we did! They don't always remember the anxiety they had during that time that they release all their stress to you! it's panic, frustration, and not realizing (because of youth and inexperience) that this too shall pass, learning to deal with these moments have to happen at some time in a Childs or young adults life.

During dd's college, there was a time that dd older was having a very difficult social time and would call me and cry, talk over and over and over again, cry again in a hysterical way because she had no idea what to do or that it wasn't the end of the world.
Years later we talked about it and she said "loved" her college time; all of it! She just needed to release her stress so she could think :shock: ! I had thought it was the worst thing but it was a time to learn from and it passed. For me it sounded like the end of the world for her; but it wasn't.

I remember I just couldn't be happy bc she was so unhappy. I knew I couldn't fix it but it made me sad. (I would call later and I would get the chipper - hi mom, what's new") :roll: When we spoke of these moments, in later years, dd older responded - oh no - I had the best best time in college! I loved it. :roll: ;) :D Oh no it wasn't that big of a deal! "I was just upset and wanted to talk about it" :roll: ;)

It will all work out - one way or another - she will choose a path and as time moves forward she will learn that too and be able to breath in and try to figure it out. It's a skill we learn and only we can learn it.

dd older now is 99% able to see it will pass but she will be upset and sometimes cries but those moments are short and then she finds a way to work through it or leave it as something she can do nothing about. I noticed over the years that the crisis of emotions stopped being the whole day or week but then an hour, then less time etc. Life showed her that things do pass! Resiliency does happen.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:21 pm

It will work out with dd, she is overly sensitive and anxious right now but I can't be the one to listen all the time. She signed up for two months of "tele health therapy" and I reminded her she needs to make an appointment, and start her list of things to discuss.

I talked awhile with dfriend V and got up to date with her. It was good to talk. And this a.m. when I walked the dog, dfriend M was out with R uby so we walked and talked a bit too. That has been good for me.

My trainer texted me and asked if I was well enough to work out and if I had done a COVID test. I went ahead and tested and was negative. I hadn't tested since last Thursday - the first day I was sick - but I wasn't out around people this weekend anyway. Breakfast out on Sunday and two in-and-out convenience stores yesterday. But I'm glad it was negative. I'm not 100% but it will feel good to move.

I got the cemetery deposit and HOA deposits ready and looked up the locations that would be on the way home for me, not out of the way so.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:37 pm

I guess I can say TA-DA — I’m walking for exercise…
And TA-DA — I made a DPC (re: an order for arthritis cream for dh.)

Controlling thoughts is tough lately.
I do dh like your dd does you, Twins. I dump all my worries on him, which just makes him worry too, and there’s nothing either of us can do about any of it. NOT WORRIES ABOUT HIS SURGERY— just my normal anxiety about dgrands. Right now I’m worried about dgs
— him starting football
— him NOT asking to go on the gifted Ed trip to Disney World
— his stomach problems (he missed school yesterday but is back today.)

And Dgd— her arthritis has flared up again, and she missed school yesterday but went today. She also has a terrible patch of psoriasis on her scalp that just won’t get better. She’s seeing a dermatologist about it, and she has an appointment with the rheumatologist Thursday.

The Disney thing… it’s a Disney physics thing, and they have to provide their own transportation and a parent must accompany them, and pay the parents’ hotel and ticket. It’s still a pretty good deal, cost-wise… but I don’t think they are in a position for the whole family to take an unexpected trip to Disney.
Ddil doesn’t really want to fly for her first time without ds, and it’s too far to drive on her own, too.
But ds says dgs hasn’t even mentioned wanting to go!
That totally amazes me. What kid doesn’t want to go to Disney???
OTOH— he was there 4 years ago and opted out of the third and last day because he felt so bad… so maybe his memory of the whole thing is NOT “the happiest place on earth.”

He also wasn’t real carried away with his trip to the beach with the class last spring, and he has said he has no interest whatsoever in going to Boston with them next year. So… I guess I just have to trust that it will all work out for him.

BUT — we’re doing okay and dh even wants to go to a movie tonight!
So here at 12:30, I’m starting my day. ;)
Tomorrow is another day.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:31 pm

DH has "given" DS15 half of the shop. DS15 is beyond thrilled. In the last 24 hours DS15 has set up a TV, bought and hung led lights, cleaned up and is organizing the STUFF. He just finished picking out an exterior solid steel door and storm door to replace the entry door on his half of the shop. All the other shop doors are in good shape, but this door has needed to be replaced for quite some time. DH was going to do the work, but I encouraged him to step back and get into mentor mode so DS15 can experience replacing door & frame from start to finish.

NO. NO. NO. NO.
How many times have I said it this morning? We are NOT GOING TO TAKE IN ANOTHER STRAY DOG. NO. NO. NO. NO. A saint benard type/size of dog has shown up on our street and is going house to house. Multiple people and the town have advertised that the dog is roaming here so the owner can be found. Days later the dog still isn't claimed. It appears someone dumped the dog. I keep declaring that we are not going to have 4 dogs. No one is listening to me. I have declared if they want to keep this new dog then one of the other dogs needs to go. That idea was immediately rejected. The battle isn't over yet, but it appears that I am going to be the single solitary NO NO NO NO NO NO vote.

I made alfredo pasta from a mix. I was not impressed. I don't think we have ever eaten this before and I don't remember why I bought these mixes but wanted to get them out of the pantry. The kids will eat most anything alfredo so I assume they will be happy to make it disappear. Mission accomplished.

I'm still stuck in my meat/veg soup mode. I made another pot of soup today. Last night I realized that Chinese egg drop soup has egg in it so why couldn't I add egg to my soup? I am always looking for a way to meet choline vitamin requirements and egg is the best way I have found. I tried it today and am pleased with the result. I have never ever heard of any family /friends putting egg in their soup so I might need to keep this information confidential. :lol:
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Return to “Post When You Can”