Thursday PWYC

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Thursday PWYC

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:31 am

That beats my title of "Throw in the Towel" Thursday!

Unless you want to join me in giving up routines and doing something with someone instead of doing housework or paperwork.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Thursday PWYC

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:13 am

I've been gone for a week according to the open tabs in my browser.

I have not cuop.

Back held up over having dgs2.9 here for 3 days. I had dh help me with him because he's at a stubborn stage and I refuse to lift him or bend over to drag him. It wasn't our best visit but we had fun with one morning at the park and another at the museum (that was his biggest tantrum, he doesn't do transitions well at all and he screamed for 40 minutes.) He is on antibiotics so dh handled wrestling him to get those in and did a great job. He also had a rash around his mouth (not impetigo, possibly from the antibiotics?) and that bothered him the last night.

We met ds half way and had a nice breakfast at a diner and he was fussy with daddy too. He has too much energy and needs to be able to run and run (which is why the museum was a hit, he could run without being in a snow suit.)

Church meeting on Sunday went ok, the minutes will show a unified church and there was no discussion of any of the issues that make us dysfunctional. Just as I expected. The new council has 3 good people on it, and 3 bad people on it (including the chair) and more people but since they only read the names quickly and hadn't written them down anywhere.) Then the committee chairs were read out and voted on only by the Council members. So my committee which had 2 chairs imposed on us (one radically opposed to the minister) had no say in whether or not these people should be the chairs. Nor was there a chance to question the procedure. Sigh...

I did manage to get some heavy housework done on Sunday afternoon and more on Monday while ds picked up dgs2.9 so the apartment looks fine. I've kept up with laundry too, and just have to put the sheets back on the bunk bed. Dh leaves tomorrow on a trip and has all the clothes he needs for that.

Thus I'm taking today off and taking dd to IKEA. We haven't had a day together for a very long time and she need furniture because she's moving the kids into their own rooms (they currently share) and when she detached the dresser from the wall, discovered it and the wall was covered in mold so that was given away for parts (the drawers and frame were just fine, just the backing board was moldy) and the kids are not allowed to sleep in their current room (which will become dgd's room) until the mold is removed. They are awaiting word on if they have to replace the drywall.

<skippable commentary on the contrasts between my kids' homes>

Their basement is currently being rebuilt for the same reason, although in that case, it was a leaking water filter that contributed to the mold growth. (Or not, it might just be that was what had the insurance adjuster discover the mold in the basement.) The outside wall there was stripped down to the studs, new insulation installed and they are awaiting new drywall to be installed. In the bedroom it is the same external wall, and likely isn't properly insulated so condensation will form on it when the room is too humid. Dd tends to over humidify the bedroom and has sealed the window tightly so there is no fresh air getting into the room. In both cases dd and dsil are reaping what they sowed, ignoring problems that were obvious to anyone else with a functioning nose (and the fact at least one of them is ill all the time.) And over-sealing their home so there was no circulation of fresh air. I had to go down to the basement last Friday to get something and it was the first time since they moved in that the room didn't smell damp and musty to me.

OCD is a terrible condition, even when one appears to be 'functional.' She is so obsessed with making no carbon footprint and also with being a penny pincher, that she refuses to create safe air flow in the house (because that means bringing in colder outside air) and running her furnace fan all the time (which uses electricity she feels she shouldn't use). What they really need is a new heat pump and air exchanger. Their furnace it near end of life, same with their air conditioner, and a heat pump would replace both of those and they are installed with heat-recovery air exchangers that exhaust stale air from the home and preheat the cold air being brought in. At most, she would just open a panel on the furnace and suck the air from the basement up to circulate through the rest of the house with obvious downsides.

Having to do major repairs is a real pain and can be overwhelming when life is already overwhelming due to mental stress. But that is part of owning a home and being an adult. If they aren't willing to do the work, they shouldn't own a home.

Ds and ddil are the opposite. Their tiny home has issues, but they are 'on it' and have a plan. They too save energy (because they can't afford to burn it) and also have an a/c and furnace at the end of life. But they have booked an energy audit and will be replacing these items (and the hot water heater) this year. First they have to rip off their deck since it blocks access to the tiny back yard and they need to get mini-heavy equipment in to do the work of removing the old stuff and putting in new. So they will be taking on heavy debt this year which is scary to them but something that has to be done. In the meantime, dd is about to pay off her house (bought 5 years before ds bought his) and yet won't spend any money on making it safe and livable. Ds's is a challenge with 4 people, 2 large dogs and two cars on a tiny lot in a tiny house (about 3/4 the size of my apartment and half the size of dd's.) But it doesn't smell (despite diapers and dogs) and has a bright and happy energy from the owners who are working hard to do their best. Ds works 3 jobs (and ddil works 2) and yet they still make time to build a play structure for dgs2.9, and a third bedroom so DC can have her own room, and plan on other projects to make their home adapt as their family needs change.

They can't afford to move and it is not the right house for them. Ds bought the house as a starter home for a single man with its two bedrooms and a basement hot tub and HUGE deck for entertaining. The hot tub is now gone because within 1 year of buying the house he had an 11 year old step daughter and a dog. And within 2 years, a baby and 2 dogs! But they never complain that they don't have space or money, they simply work to make the most of what they have.

<end commentary>

Poof, dd is excited about going off today with me so I'm getting ready to meet her at the LRT station and take her out to IKEA. I need to be dressed and fed (and maybe actually do some paperwork) before she gives me her ETA.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:32 am

d Kathryn Oh so good to see you!!!
you have been so busy!

I remember those days of a small house, lots of repairs, optimism and excitement to do the work (for us it was without the skill)
praying your dd's basement becomes what she wants and that they all enjoy.
I love your ds enjoyment of his home with his family - a true blessing!

Have a wonderful wonderful day d Kathryn!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:33 am

The dogs have been singing the songs of their people with other dogs in the neighborhood. (our neighbor fosters huskies and their calls are the howls of their people). Time to bring them in.

yesterday I rested all day - made me frustrated but dh reassured me that one day of rest was exactly what my body needed. Very sweet of him.
I knew I was off.

The sunlight today is stunning todayl but lines of clouds are moving swiftly bc of the sudden uptick of wind. I can see bigger clouds coming our way - rain coming ?

I hope you all have a lovely day.

I broke a piece of paper up into 8 hours that I hope to check off as I move through my day.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:47 am

I was worrying for you yesterday, Kathryn. I'm glad you checked in today, and thank you for starting us. Yesterday dd told me she's picking her eyebrows out with anxiety. It's hard to see our children not well.

I slept in myself. I slept poorly because dh slept poorly because he was in pain. He's been to the dentist already and is having a root canal this afternoon, hopefully to save his tooth. He went to the 24 hr drugstore in the middle of the night. Don't know whether he will feel up to dinner out with his coworker and wife this p.m. He said he might not be his jovial self, in which case, I hope we reschedule and I'm not forced to carry the conversation alone.

The other reason to sleep in was that this was the first day this week I didn't have to be up and moving quickly. I only have the workout at two and the aforementioned dinner out. A more relaxing day I'm hoping. Hanging over me still is temple cemetery work and HOA and other things.

Lucylee, be sure and get some rest too while you're feeling ill!

bw2, glad to see you this a.m.! My dog is indeed singing that song also. I think dh already walked her but she is insistent that I do so. So I'm going.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:07 am

join me in giving up routines and doing something with someone instead of doing housework or paperwork.

I'll join in doing this today.

I'm going to stay at a treasured friend home this afternoon to keep her baby while she and family go to her MIL funeral. This friend is 30 years younger than me and we have known each other all her life. Every time she sees me it is instant connection and I know she will be at my side for most of the time together. She has amazing parents who are available and involved in her life so I'm not in a parental type role. I feel honored that she considers me a trusted friend that she seeks out to share joys as well as discuss challenging life moments.

My daily routines will be done as time allows but other people needs take priority.

Morning -
** Time with DH and DS15 going to the gym together
** Working with DS15 doing homeschool
Afternoon -
** Colbie, Cory, Meagan and Robert
Evening -
** DD12 to counselor appt and out to eat.

My Kitchen plans -
** spaghetti and meat sauce
** fruit salad
** Green salad
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:21 pm

On Task Thursday is my theme.
I was up around mid nite after a few hrs. sleep.
Ruminating thoughts about the planning for future and my end of days planning sigh ~ ack Estate stuff not very cheery....
so I got up and did my audio Bible segment for the day and some writing. That helped. SJ = spiritual journal got my Dear God letter
and I off loaded thoughts as they came to me. That helped even more. Then my dp daily planner got the entry, some in my bujo too.
I did not get all my Wed. Writing done so today is my writing day mostly caught up on that after errands and apt. yesterday.
I did get a section fill in on the above mentioned stuff.
I went to get the clothes out of the dryer a load still in the wash was not switched over so did that.
They are dry and folded & put away now.

Went back to bed and slept some more yea for that.
At the store I found Bridgerton berries & cream creamer in a pink jug enjoying that today with some whipped cream.
I was disappointed that the contents were not pink.
Got a letter ready to post.
Had my Rx & food.
Boil eggs. x
Feeling a bit on the puny side today so taking care of me and still in pj's its nearly noon.

It is great to read your posts gals!
Last edited by Nancy on Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:39 pm

Nancy, I like On Task Thursday for a theme.

I sent out the HOA email to the past due people, and a cc to the president of the HOA. I've been emailing with him, and just accepted an HOA payment via Venmo, which I'm transferring over.

I've also been trying to assemble HOA and cemetery paperwork but have been unsuccessful so far. Need to leave for workout in an hour so I'll need to eat something soon too.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:54 pm

I am so frustrated with myself that I didn't plant all the tulip bulbs I had (I didn't do any work in the fall when mom was here bc I didn't wan there to be bored). today it is 45 to 50 degrees and I though I could make a hole in my garden cloth and use my torque drill to make holes. My drill broke. My brother is coming on Saturday and will see if he can fix it; By that time the weather will be back in the 30s.

I know, look for the good: ;)
8-) lol not feeling it! I think I am in the "look for the grumpy old woman" mode.

we have so many geese flying by lately!

goal: after lunch, stop by the bank.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:05 pm

d twins it is really hard to see our children struggling. (((for your dd))) I am thinking of both of you! it breaks our hearts to see them hurt or worried.
praying for her! may she find a job soon that she falls in love with.

praying that your dh feels better.

your d dog sounds like our d dogs - I am the it person until dd younger comes in; lol, then I am off duty. I am bad bc I totally take advantage of it. 8-)

d Kathryn I think doing one thing is more than enough for today too!

d lady - enjoy your baby time! thinking of your dear friend and her dear husband with the loss of her mil. You should feel honored. I am praying for the family.

d Nancy enjoy being on task! cheering you on!
I don't care for that type of planning either; even though it is necessary.

Return to “Post When You Can”