Home Sweet Home Sunday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
CathyS

Re: Home Sweet Home Sunday

Postby CathyS » Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:06 pm

DMIL has no idea where she got the recipe for her famous oven baked fried chicken. Dh is curious as to where it originated and now I am also curious. DMIL has been making this for many, many years. So I am asking all of you if this would sound familiar to any of you.

Dip a piece of chicken into egg, then flour, then bread crumbs. Deep fry until browned. Place in a large roasting pan and put all the chicken into the oven with a cover on. 350 degrees for a hour.

Is it just such a basic recipe that it's made everywhere? Is it regional? Dh's family used to live near the border between Fort Erie and Buffalo. Dh claims that now I make it exactly the same as his mom. I told him not to tell her that. :lol:
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:53 pm

Cathy S. sounds southern that is how my mom did it.
Back in the day like the sixty's they had a product called "Shake and Bake" lots of people were doing copy cat type
recipes of it. You might look in old cookbooks from churches or all recipes .com.
When I worked in a cafe that is how we did chicken fried steak, and put it in the egg & milk mixture then flour, repeat and then cracker crumbs
were pressed in. Butter & seasoning added as well.

I had dinner early and did up the dishes. they are drying and I need to put away some of them.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:06 am

What a long conversation this evening with youngest boy-cousin. Whew. So much to catch up on. I was happy about it though, as we are like-minded on many subjects and also have a long history (and also know long histories, lol).

blessed, your mention of conversations with your neighbor is very like mine with dcousin! We "know better" when we get started, yet never can seem to cut the conversation short. How nice that you have a neighbor you can talk to so long and enjoy it.

Cathy, lol. My kitchen does not have a "reset" either. Sometimes there is an elf who can't sleep (smile) and he will do some spiffing there.

Twins', glad you are home safe. Yes, a long weekend. Dd44's boys all have the day off tomorrow.

They came over today and cut up the wood from the recent storm damage. That got me started working outside after they were gone.

Much, much gardening through the afternoon. We have a camera that dings and tells HRH, in his office, when there is motion anywhere around the front of the house. He came out and teased me that, "I looked at the screen and saw that a tree was walking by".

Actually, of course, I was the "tree". I was carrying a large pile of debris I'd weeded or pulled out of the beds and taking it into the woods beside us. I didn't mean to gather up so much at once, but part was the remainer of the petunias, which had such long and entangled branching. Also, a lot was still green at the tips!

Still green - what a strange year to have allowed that. We have hardly had winter yet, not a flake of snow, but the daffodils are getting tall and blooming now! Some small flowering trees, too. Highly unusual if we really don't even have a snow at all?

I may have done too much outside. Dd25 came out and insisted I quit and do more tomorrow.

I've eaten well today, thank goodness! Too much restaurant food lately! Lunch with dd25's inlaw family yesterday at Mexican place was delish but calorific and cheesy-cheesy. The young man wouldn't let me or his mother help pay. That's nice and all, but it can tip (excuse pun) into a bit of irritation when people really would like to pay their own way.

Report on the trip to the wedding venue ...
is that I find dd's future dmil and dsisil to be kinda hard to understand. Nice people, born organized which is fine, but it just seemed that we weren't always speaking the same language. I felt like we kept missing what the other was saying. Oh well, perhaps there was just so much to think about. I purposefully didn't add much to decision-making, although I did point out where shade could be expected, and I think that was helpful. Decorator person cared absolutely nothing about dd's attempt to get her to look at the colors of the quilt - she is totally focused on plants for the tables. The executive director of the place happened to be there and listened to dd about where to put the quilt and showed her that they have a tall, wide rack to use for that purpose, allowing any placement or change of mind on placement in minutes.

We enjoyed the walk all around the grounds and farm. The couple chose their "Plan A" site for an outdoor ceremony if good weather. (The indoor "Plan B" will have a long wall open up and the minister and couple will still be somewhat outdoors on a covered porch.)

Then we petted the livestock and resident kitty. A pleasant day.

Return to “Post When You Can”