"Monday Managed" PWYC

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
blessedw2

Re: "Monday Managed" PWYC

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:58 pm

quick hi -

dh came home and they gave him something to open his airways and a cough med - good thing for is that is blood is 99% oxygenated - it's hard to imagine that he has so many blockages. it doesn't make sense to me.
Now I just pray he gets better.

time for my class

finished my cards for today -
finished by vacuuming the first floor
I do have laundry
Last edited by blessedw2 on Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:01 pm

Home from body work. I feel tuned up, lol.

Need to eat lunch next, I've CUOPed here.

I'm trying to decide about my genealogy institute(s) this summer. I am wanting virtual courses, one institute has an IRL option. Registration for one is tomorrow and registration for the other isn't until 9 March. So I will sign up for one tomorrow, assuming I can get in, and then decide whether i want to try for the one that registers on 9 March. I don't want to be shut out of both. They have waitlists and a lot of times one gets in from the wait list, but I don't want to risk not getting anything. So I'll need a timer for 1 p.m. tomorrow.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:07 pm

I added a book list of the books I ordered to my journey thread.
Finished a yarn project.
Dishes are put away.
Sheets are dry fetched from the dryer and back on the bed.

Folded the rest of that load and put it away.
I picked up the planters I emptied out the this weekend.
Had a few bites of lunch.

It's been drizzling and low clouds I put on my big coat and we have walked.
Soaked my feet.
Had dinner & did the dishes.
Vacuumed living room to I can put that stuff I got up in the trash pick up tomorrow.
Last edited by Nancy on Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:06 am, edited 5 times in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:51 pm

LadyM, do you have the board game, "Life"? It is a good conversation-starter on the subject of (maybe) being able to provide for yourself/family through better paychecks (maybe) because you have a degree to show employers. (And the subject of never knowing what remarkable unforeseen things might happen! Many laughs.)

Job/School/Life subject - While I definitely agree with the theory that vocational or even experience-only might mean just as secure a financial future and just as many options when choosing what kind of work, it hasn't proven out in my own family and friends. Those who got more education simply have more in their paychecks and benefits, and more confidence to change jobs, more contentment. Ds (who reminds me of your ds15) did once build up a successful business and sell it as a young man, but it had been years of long hours and offered no benefits. It was the Fire Science degree that gave him the option to sell it, bank that money for his house, and take promotions in the dept. With a chief's schedule, he can be there for the kids' ball games, camping vacations, etc.

HRH says that ds has been able to be more of a "Daddy" at home than any of the menfolk in HRH's family in generations, and even though that's for more than one reason (ddil is an RN - that helps) a big part is that he got the degree early.

But I shouldn't avoid just saying : if I MYSELF had had a four-year degree, then when my life freed up since the caregiving years, I could have taken advantage of college courses I longed for, that had the prerequisite of a degree. It took me decades to know "what I wanted a degree FOR". That's something you may not find out about yourself when you are young and can get it more easily in youth.

Oh, dear, end philosophy session :oops: Long story short, I agree with you and kinda hope your ds15 remembers how smart you are about stuff.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:59 pm

I made myself do a dreaded phone call that led to a dreaded periodontist appt. The appt includes a dreaded 147 mile (round trip) drive through the big city. There is nothing about this experience that I don't dread. Telling myself.....the sooner it happens the sooner it will be over.

** 93 cards completed
** 8 hourly challenges completed
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:29 pm

I must say many of my students…remember I taught kids with learning disabilities … are doing very well without a tech or college degree. I always ask workers who come into my home what made them choose their career and do they have schooling for them.

When you become a plumber or an electrician depending on the state you live in joining a union is a must. Refrigeration school is usually an 18 month deal same with welding for big bucks.

I should tell you that my sons partner was my student before I knew he knew my son. I had him for two years for math. Then in 8th grade I discovered much to Rusty’s shock he knew my son.

Rusty struggled in high school. Back then he wasn’t allowed to use a calculator for his courses… not even with his IEP. Don’t get me started on that.

At 19 and still in HS cause he could pass the exit exam Rusty came to me and said he was dropping out.
Couldn’t blame him for that. He went to work for a restaurant and started his career working his way up to management. Along the way he got his GED. He managed TGIF and eventually Ruth Christy

All along my son and Rusty remained like brothers and continued to talk about working together

Eventually with Rusty’s skills he bought a Franchise called Rock and Roll Sushi. He was then given the opportune to open and other new franchise and that’s when talks with my son got serious about working together and the dream was realized

Five years ago the two of them open up P.S. Taco in the hight of Covid … their restaurant thrived thanks to take out

Flash forward today.. they have two flagship restaurants and 5 franchisees with 2 more in the works.

I tell this story because mush of their business success comes from the back of Rusty… he is the front man while my son works behind the screen

I often wonder how a boy who couldn’t add or subtract let along multiple or divide on his own managed to make this all happen. Two teen boys sitting on my sons bed dreaming of working together.

I have to be honest cause I heard them talk to me about making this happen but I never really though their dream would come true.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:50 pm

Btw.. two of my boys are firemen, one went to drivers school to become a long haul truck drive which he did for a while and now drives 18 wheeler locally. He also learned how to fly planes. Another boy owns his own wrecker complany, one boy became a tat artist and later a barber cause his wife does hair, they too own their own company.My girl has become a famous artist who’s works hang in shops in Las Vegas and

My Autistic girl went to college .. first to community and then to ASU, graduated and became a teacher, and one other boy who couldn’t write a complete sentence when I got him in7th grade went on to the National Guard, made his way from community to ASU. He finished his degree while serving in Afghanistan

Nobody ever though any of these kids would be successful when I had them

LadyM…given you and your husbands guidance and your sons work ethics and talents I’m sure he will be more than successful no matter what he chooses.

When my “kids” would ask me what they should do for a career I would tell them find their passion and let them build them. I told them they wanted a job that’s dry morning when they woke up they look forwards to putting their feet on the ground to head for work
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:53 pm

hello again -
finished the kitchen weeklies - no monthlies
I would love to work outside but all the neighborhood kids are out and my dogs want to go with them - they can't but they bark. I forgot the schools were off.
I still have to do some dailies: counters, wipe inside of microwave as dh's eggs always love to say hello to the world with a great big pop (he doesn't cover the dish with paper towel)

I enjoyed the question and answer hour zoom meeting with the uw horticultural professors - insects, plant diseases, plants, bushes and trees etc., a total of six professors from Uni of Wis Madison. I couldn't believe it was free!

------------------------

hello d lady - glad you got the phone call out of the way. 147 miles is quite a distance! I think we all put things off like this - like you said it easier just to get it done so it's off your mind!
yay on all your work!
-----------------------------
hi d harriet! what I good idea d harriet! Wonderful for your ds! My cousins boy just became a firefighter and you know that my dh's cousin is a Chief in his area.
I loved the discussion.
----------------------------------
hi d Nancy how wonderful that you are enjoying your book journey
yay on yarn project
yay on your work
-------------------------------------
d rose what a neat story!!! thank you for sharing
-------------------------------------

I keep hearing dh wheezing. I hope his meds work.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:03 pm

I spent some time upstairs. I couldn't get inspired with stamping but did some genealogy research in Virginia before the revolutionary war. I don't know much about research in that era!

Walked the dog two laps this afternoon, dh had walked her two laps this a.m. and I walked her one lap this a.m. She should be a happy camper.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:05 pm

Not a great day here. Dh and I both stayed close to the bathroom this morning and dh blamed last night's chicken. We both napped before noon. Later in the day we both had showers. We also got my car out of the garage. After supper I had the same issues that I had this morning, so I told dh I "might" be sick. This has been the second time in a week that he has told me to go to bed, so I had better get going to the bedroom. Just thought I'd check in.
Supper tonight was fried beef, onions and cabbage with perogies on the side. It was delicious.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

Return to “Post When You Can”