count down to spring - Saturday - PWYC

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
LadyMaverick

Re: count down to spring - Saturday - PWYC

Postby LadyMaverick » Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:30 pm

My time at the straw bale gathering did not result in finding a local source for non-chemical ingredients to add to my raised bed garden beds. However, I don't consider it time wasted because I got to connect and catch up with several lifelong friends that I don't see very often.

I am enjoying the warmer weather (mid 80's) with bright sunshine. It is t-shirt weather because wearing anything else feels too hot.

I have spent some time moving and cleaning rabbit cages. This isn't a job I normally enjoy but the weather is so nice that doing anything outside feels good.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:59 pm

"What are your favorite flowers, shrubs, grasses, or perennials in your neck of the woods?"

This is temperament for me, I think, more than location or ease of growth, or expense or any other factor.

My favorite perennials are annuals.
My favorite shrubs would be annuals if that would work, and, in fact, my most-complimented "shrubs" were when people thought my ball-shaped basil (which I grew from seed indoors) were perfectly-formed young English boxwoods - true story. Of course, now I can only remember those basil plants, because ... .. they were annuals, lol.

But basically, I love being able to change around, artistically. Perennial plants make me feel locked into having that "look" for the foreseeable future, rather than having fun with choices every year. Also, if a perennial dies, well, you are just AWFUL. You must have a brown thumb. You didn't love it enough - gasp. But annuals die every year - it's not your fault! You did everything you could! :) You are absolved.

Lifelong favorites are marigolds and impatiens. My Dad once couldn't bear to turn under our garden in the fall because my marigolds I'd planted individually all spotted through it, then treated like babies, were still gorgeous and huge. (I was doing this to keep nematodes from our tomatoes, as well as beauty.) He worked around them - extra work for him not to hurt my feelings, and then of course they died! Such a mystery to him - thriving, specimen-healthy plants that made no crop.

Begonias of all kinds are great. Lantanas lovely. Petunias used to be finicky for me but now there are better varieties and I can see what my dmother saw in them. Love zinnias but don't have enough bed-space to do them justice right now. Our seasons have changed, so pansies don't work for us here the way they used to. Our growing season has lengthened into the time in which pansies are planted for over-wintering. When we collectively "lost" impatiens to a mildew fungus 15 or 20 years or so ago, I truly grieved. So glad they are back with varieties that are not susceptible. Again, that ball-shape is very satisfying to grow.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:30 pm

Twins', we were in 7b but are now in 8a. There have been a lot of articles and news reports here lately about how climate change has definitely affected our temps. April 15 is our last frost date. When I first started gardening, if I dared to plant before May 1 there was no doubt I'd end up losing something to a frost and I'd have to do it with some kind of plan or protection. Back then, experienced gardeners would question planting tomatoes before Mother's Day. I remember debates about whether the risk was worth it if the plants had been expensive, or hard to grow.

Correction, sorry - April 15 WAS our last frost date. Now it is somewhere around the 11th, depending upon the expert or source. There seems to be some disagreement out there. As I research this, I'm thinking that folks are wary of giving an exact average, in case perhaps proven wrong? Don't know.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:19 pm

Zone 6 or 7 here [6.5 maybe]
186 growing days.
Last frost 4-14
Some say do not plant toms. till after May 1st.

I've had lunch. did put dishes away.
Did a bit of writing just ten - twenty min.
Got a section on the current knitting project.
Got my steps in for today.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:37 pm

My favorite flowers are daffodils and tulips.
I have none of these. I explained that the other day.

My favorite trees are red maples, dogwoods, and magnolias.
I have none of these in my yard. :)
I used to have 2 hickory trees, beautiful trees, in front of my house, one on either side of the sidewalk leading to my large front porch. Two different storms took them.
I have one black walnut tree now, and a couple of cedar trees. These are both across the pasture fence, but close to the house.

I do not have a favorite shrub.
My LEAST FAVORITE shrub is the prickly pointy holly. The front of my house is completely lined with these.
Why? Stupidity. I was taking advice from the vo-ag teacher and getting free labor from his class.

I’ve slept a lot today. All the above make my allergies worse and things are definitely beginning to bloom around here.
I colored my hair and shaved my legs… small victories…
And I helped dh pack for the hospital. I will need to get some stuff together also.

Waving to all!
Tomorrow is another day.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:40 pm

Oh — I have a question also!!!
Hypothetically— preacher’s wife dies. How long is it respectful for the preacher to wait to remarry?
Tomorrow is another day.

MysteryWoman

Postby MysteryWoman » Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:51 pm

Good evening!

We were 6b this close to the lake; now we’re 7a. It is interesting looking to see what’s gone to 6b south of us and what is still 6a. I like not-tomatoes. DH likes tomatoes. Tomatoes by the back door. Tomatoes by the side of the house. We even tried tomatoes on the upstairs porch a couple of years hoping to keep them from the deer. (The deer didn’t get them, but the plants got all dried out.) Unlike Harriet, I wish I had perennials. We used to have some, or maybe they were just annuals that self-seeded well: phlox and black-eyed Susans and echinacea and columbine. We’ve got Japanese irises by the side of the house, though DH moved some to make room for the tomatoes. :roll: Fortunately, we have rhododendrons and azaleas in front of the house, so I get some flowers, even if they’re not ones you can put in a vase. I wish I’d put some bulbs in, even if the squirrels transplant them, and the deer eat them. I will have to plan a flower garden. Maybe if I ask DH where I can plant some flowers, he will realize he’s gone a bit far on the tomatoes.
I've got my country's 500th anniversary to plan, my wedding to arrange, my wife to murder, and Guilder to frame for it; I'm swamped. -- Prince Humperdinck

Return to “Post When You Can”