count down to spring - Saturday - PWYC

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
blessedw2

count down to spring - Saturday - PWYC

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:47 am

24 days until spring, so we are definitely on the other side of winter!

Saying that - Winter in our area has a wonderful sense of humor. The other day our temps were in the 50's and the 60's and last night we got snow and ice. "SURPRISE!!!"

how would you like to move through your day?

I am hoping that my work is like a gentle breeze - moving smoothly from one area to another; just touching the area and moving on. (I laugh at the thought that if mom would have let me take ballet then I would be a dainty creature). I tend to be more like a stomp kind of person - you can hear me coming. 8-) :D :lol:

-------------------------
I keep thinking of "In like a lion and out like a lamb" - Spring days are coming!
Last edited by blessedw2 on Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Re: count down to spring - Saturday - PWYC

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:50 am

? I have a question?

As we are live in different areas and zones, I wanted to ask you:

"What are your favorite flowers, shrubs, grasses, or perennials in your neck of the woods?"

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:39 am

Overheard at knitting yesterday after someone was asked how she gets so much knitting done...

"I get up and get dressed, make the bed, clean up the bathroom and do the dishes. All that takes around 15 minutes. After that I can spend the rest of the day knitting."
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:43 am

Since I got up I have swept and spot mopped the floors, washed most of the pots and pans, put away a load of laundry, started another load which is now doing it's final spin, put out all the garbage and cleaned the litter boxes.

Guess what I can do after I put the wash into the dryer and load the dishwasher?

Spend the rest of the day reading/stitching/doing what I want to do. Dh is still sleeping. I've been up since 7.

The sunrise was gorgeous, but it's gotten very cold out.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:09 am

Good morning

Blessed - Thank you for the start and reminder about spring. I'm not sure I have a favorite flower or plant. Whatever is in front of me is my favorite of that moment. Sorry to not be of any help.

Cathy - That sounds like a perfect plan for the day.

I was up and going before 6am. Not because I planned to be but because my body insisted that it was done being in bed.

I'm going to a local community gathering today focusing on the subject of Straw Bale Gardening. I've done straw bale gardening and don't intend to do it again. However, I am attending because I am seeking sources of organic no chemical straw bales. The farmer I used to purchase from has quit farming so I need a new source. Bonus if I could find a source for composted manure from organic raised animals. I try to make sure anything I put into my garden soil has the least amount of chemicals. It used to be easier than it is now.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:02 pm

I truly was curious of what flowers that grow in your zone that you love. I am in 5b and I am always amazed at what plants are grown in other zones.
I love blueberry bushes but we can't have them as our soil/water is too alkaline. (even with added acid).

d lady - I hope you find the organic straw bales.
have a great day!

hi d cathy yay on your work.
have a great day!

have great day everyone

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:57 pm

Whatever is in front of me is my favorite of that moment.
This. Daffodils and hyacinths right now, crocuses earlier. Whatever is seasonal is my favorite I think. I love zinnias for the summer and my yard is sunny enough for them now. Right now whatever is blooming is making me sneeze!

I slept in until 10 this morning. Really tired from drama yesterday with my car, then dfriends were over. Comfortable spending time with them, dh and A were trying to put together this thing that dh bought for his whiskey collection and it got bungled up, so that's on pause in the DR now while they wait for input from manufacturer. :roll:

Dh is home from Torah study, I'm going to putter around, maybe research or stamp, and enjoy the day.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:03 pm

bw2, we are now zone 7B. Estimated last frost date 15-31 March.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:15 pm

Slow Mo. day for me as I have some sinus stuff going on & neck was out yesterday.
Knit for an hr. and shoulder was sore so 1/2 hr. after a rest day will see if that effects me or not.
I like to do some tasks then read or craft and then do another set of "cards".

On plants....
Herbs do well here bw2, grass with out so much pollen is what I like but the red ones are pretty that I've seen around.
I luv to put bulbs in the fall, and I have snow drops blooming now, iris are up 6" in some areas in my yard.
Another plant I luv that thrives on neglect is iris!

Fruit trees are past prime after 20 + yrs so got most of them out and not putting any back as they are more work messy
and I do not can stuff, and live 1 mi. from an orchard so if I wanted to would get it from them, you can even pick it too I think.
Some grasses have things to catch in dogs fur I watch out for and do NOT get them! LOL!
Did a plant journal one year it is great but each year is different so that for future reference did not work as well as I hoped.
Zone 6 or 7 [maybe 6.5]
-----
frosty out 34* / 56* F today's temps.
bfast. x
Did not do dishes last nite. x
S2s is up wash & dry hair too. x
Walked before the winds started.
Meal plan use up left over soups.

Next up might be reading the next chapter on surroundings.
Last edited by Nancy on Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:16 pm

our last frost date can be May 1 however we can have frost up to the 21st. I count on my mom's birthday, May 23rd, for things to start being safe. We have had cold well into June.
My girls also get to sneezing and not feeling great - all tree allergies

praying the car problem works out very soon d twins.

I am glad you rested after your day yesterday with the car d twins!

my mom's elevator is still going out.

funny story - yesterday dd's took d mom to a museum by the everglades and how they built the towers in this one area. The man told of how they had to dredge etc. the area before building the observation towers. He then told how they had different equipment including boats. Mom only listened to the "boats" part and then proceeded to tell him that she did that in Chicago. so cute. Mom is laughing about it today when she realized what she did and later told dd's that she did not dredge the swamp in Chicago - She found it so funny! So did we!!!

Return to “Post When You Can”