I am finally able to focus on the huge decluttering project of cleaning out the nonprofit sewing group's 26 years of financial files. No, wait, I've already done the most recent 7 years and turned them over to the new Treasurer early this month. Seven 3-ring binders (2011-2017) that fit into a box from a case of copy paper.
That leaves years 1991 through 2010.
I spent several hours at it yesterday and I've done a couple of hours this morning.
2 disappointments right away:
First, I reread the Records Retention Policy and I'm not going to be able to discard as many reports as I originally thought.
Gotta make sure Officers are protected in case some troublemaker ever decides to claim misuse of funds.
Second, I made the mistake of assuming that the 4 years when the Treasurer was a "real" accountant -- her full-time paid job -- would be the most organized, so that's where I started. It immediately was obvious that she may have been brilliant with numbers, but not that great with filing papers in order. I haven't even been able to look at the numbers themselves because I've spent my time sorting by date, searching for missing months, trying to interpret undated pages (?!), etc.
Therefore, I'm approaching the project in stages. So far I have 5 years sorted in chronological order.
The first pass through for decluttering, I pulled out trash for the recycle bin (blank pages and bank advertisements
) and obvious exact duplicate pages. At the same time, I set aside the pages that I'm 95% sure that I can shred.
I'm not going to shred anything until I've finished going through all of the years.
This is going to take a lot more hours than I thought, but once finished it will all leave my house. My self-imposed deadline is February 10th, the next sewing group meeting when I'll see the new Treasurer again.
I'm done for this morning. I need to get some other things accomplished before going to work at the library for my 8 hour shift that starts at 12:15. I'll get back to this project tonight.