April Declutter, Showering Attention, 2018

Share your decluttering activities and ideas.
blessedw2

Re: April Declutter, Showering Attention, 2018

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:54 pm

everyone has been doing beautiful work!

today I went through coffee table and tossed and tossed.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:43 pm

That's great, blessed. I read about what you did in the other thread. Doesn't it make you feel good to get that stuff done?

When I've decluttered a space, I usually deep clean as I go along too. My garage walls are as clean as when we first moved in, and it's been a long time since they looked like that. I do need to paint the door and trim though. Someday...

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:29 am

yay d harmony
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:34 am

I've been watching those Hoarder shows every morning. Today's show featured the most psychological help I've ever heard on one of these shows. Lots of answers to the question why people do this. And they talked about the medical aspect of this, why it runs in families and their discovery of something wrong with chromosome 14 (I think) although at this point they do not have any ideas what's really going on with that bit.

I can remember back to older generations who had too much furniture and way too much paper. In my kids generation I have someone who knows they have ocd tendencies, which is a similar gene malfunction, it is just the way they deal with stuff. Uber perfectionism etc. So, it worries me that I see this in my own family and I am grateful that I am able not to fall down this deep hole.

I guess people hang on to things so they don't lose the memories they've attached to them. I have the exact opposite problem. I'm afraid if I get left by myself with all this stuff I won't be able to handle it... no I guess I'll be able to handle it, but it's a whole lot of work to sort and get rid of stuff. The over-stuffed shop is really stressful to me, I have no idea what I'd do with the majority of that stuff and there's a lot of money tied up in all that stuff.

Well, a lot to think about.

Return to “The Decluttered Home”