January Declutter & Organization, 2019

Share your decluttering activities and ideas.
Harriet

January Declutter & Organization, 2019

Postby Harriet » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:44 am

Here we go! :D Beginning an exciting new year with 365 days that are sure to bring clearer, more organized and welcoming space to our lovely homes. We're wishing that wonderful 2019 benefit for everyone who enters here!

In this thread, we encourage each other to commit to a MINIMUM 15 minutes a day (or the equivalent on a different schedule) of attention to the clutter that tries to take over all our homes. Sometimes, we may need a marathon! Either way, friends here are great encouragers.

Our suggestion is to stay aware of where you want to declutter and organize next. Then when you have the time to give, you can go right to that space and get started right away. Your planning might be on paper (3x5s, calendars, project trackers) or online, or just sharing your priorities with us and staying accountable. You may want to try consistently decluttering in areas ahead of your cleaning schedule. No matter what works for you, get in the habit of knowing where you're organizing next!

Chat here about how you schedule decluttering - your idea may help someone else. All organizing tips appreciated!

blessedw2

Re: January Declutter & Organization, 2019

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:25 pm

I need this more than you know d harriet. I was looking at my decluttering with my all or nothing thinking.
I am going to heed diane in denmarks suggestion (for 2019) of dejunking 1 thing daily (at least until I can get my brain uncluttered).
today donating cook books. Stanley Tucci's cookbook.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:20 pm

got rid of dog ramp that cost us $100 that my dogs never used. too hard for old dogs. i thought about selling it and put it aside. you know it isn't worth keeping around the house. so dh is taking it today to the donation place

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:41 pm

I still have two boxes of photos/memorabilia in the garage in the way of my car, although I am parking it in the garage. I just did two 15-minute purges and recycled most of it. Remember the days before digital photos, when you needed the negative if you ever needed a photo again? I filed photos with negatives with separators in boxes and boxes, and to beat all, I had pulled out the best of most of those photos to put into scrapbooks, so most the rest are "rejects."

Remember the days when photos were less common? You had to take the film for processing and wait several days for them to come back? Then it was an innovation when photos came back in a day, or even in an hour. :shock:
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:55 pm

Yesterday I got rid of 2 rather large Christmas figurines gifted to me by a library patron. They were cute, but not cute enough to keep. I realized that even if she had bought them brand new (which I know she didn't because coworkers said she buys at yard sales), they would have cost less than half the price of the Hallmark card that I gave my oldest DSis.

I don't expect DSis to save that card forever, so I decided to pretend that the figurines were greeting cards from the dollar store, and I let them go.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:34 am

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:50 pm

Using the bubble-in method for recording time spent for declutter works well for me. I look forward to coloring in those bubbles.

BookSaver, that's wise. Sometimes i've taken a photo if there was sentiment, but it sounds like she just wanted you to know she thought of you, not that she expected long-term devotion to what she gave.

Twins', if you are considering your household's old photos, you are ahead of me. And just think, when you and I were probably at the points in our lives that we took the most photos, it was nothing compared to younger people who, with each passing year, have taken so many more, because it became easier and easier. Now, I'm not sure what the "smart" idea is. Just keep them on your phone until you lose the phone - at least that seems to be a method I hear about a lot.

Much about unmentionables
Today during bedroom declutter, I organized my socks-and-undies drawer. A sock hiding in the wrong place meant I found and matched up a "new" pair - yay, free socks! :) I found a pair of bikini panties and handed them right off to dd, since, believe me, they are not mine if they're made like that. A set of too-smalls has been labeled and resealed. A pair made of a much harsher fabric than others from the same package, is traveling through laundry again to see if it softens more. If not, I'll cut it into a rag. So, I now find that I have 20 pairs of panties in rotation in the front of my drawer. I think that's a little much, but acceptable.

Oh, a tiny storm in my brain while sitting here ... click, click, click. :idea: Why not take the wide, soft elastic from that harsh-fabric pair of panties and use it to sew inside a large scrunchie that will hold my hair without crimping? I was looking at the beauty supply place for softer, bigger ones and they had nothing. Even their "wide" ones had strong thin elastic inside and felt like tourniquets. I am thinking... ...

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:57 pm

Pulled last yr sheets out of my mini planner and put undated one's in. For my progress today.
Donated painted rocks , puppets and other yarn crafts freeing up some space here yea!
Last edited by Nancy on Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:55 pm

I loved the video, blessed! Thanks for sharing. I may send it to ddil for inspiration. Then again, maybe not. DDIL does not like too much advice, even if it is dressed as support, from me. I have to be careful with that.
Tomorrow is another day.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:17 pm

I did two more rounds of photos this morning. Kept some photos of old boyfriends, places I went, things I did. Hard to believe I had 30 years before dh. Frankly, Harriet, I wouldn't have embarked on this except that these boxes were still in the garage, and they are impeding access to my car. I hated to move them upstairs with the many that were previously placed up there, so it seemed like a good time to purge.

I'm within a leap of finishing the first of these two boxes.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Return to “The Decluttered Home”