September 2021, Sort, Tidy, Declutter!

Share your decluttering activities and ideas.
Harriet

September 2021, Sort, Tidy, Declutter!

Postby Harriet » Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:57 am

Some quotes from Margareta Magnusson, the author Harmony mentioned last thread:

The more I have focused on my cleaning, the braver I have become in discarding possessions. I have had a moment to reflect on the event or feeling, good or bad, and to know that it had been a part of my story and my life.

You can always hope and wait for someone to want something in your home, but you cannot wait forever, and sometimes you must just give cherished things away with the wish that they end up with someone who will create new memories of their own.

The one thing we know for sure is that we will die one day. But before that you can try to do almost anything.

(those italics are mine. I love that!)

Have you been Brave as you focused lately on battling clutter? Do tell! You never know. You may inspire the rest of us!

Harmony

Re: September 2021, Sort, Tidy, Declutter!

Postby Harmony » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:12 pm

I have given a couple necklaces away. One crocheted colored bead and pearl necklace I gave a couple years ago to DSiL. Someone made it for me and I loved it but never wore it... and she had something similar on so I brought that one out and gave it to her. She was thrilled to get it. I also gave a couple necklaces to DGD. They were costume jewelry and she was happy with her "gifts". I gave 4 placemats away to DD, someone had given them to me in a bag of clothes. I wore the clothes and gave the mats to DD. They were cute halloween pictures of little kids all dressed up. She celebrates halloween, I do not.

Every little bit helps, right?!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:22 pm

We have been working steadily one box at a time, and sometimes when HRH can't sleep at night he does extra. The large, high island of boxes on straight-backed chairs (arranged like a cluttered game of musical chairs) that was centered in the LR is gone.

One thing he really did by himself was to arrange our small furniture in the LR in a large circle or oval. This is just side chairs, small tables and one rocker - we have not bought anything upholstered yet for that space, although that's the plan. This way, we could have a conversation group of a few visitors and all be distanced by more than six feet. No one would be on comfortable seating or sitting with another, but it looks acceptable and does use the room for intended purpose during this time in which almost no one is out visiting.

The rocker is the most comfortable chair and sometimes I go sit there to read. The view is nice and the African Violet really likes it there. As expected, it echoes, lol.

Only the den has upholstered furniture.

My truck-farming cousin had a yard sale using a tent so that it would be open-air. I didn't attend because I just don't have space and it wouldn't be sensible to bring things here that I am not in love with yet, lol. Better to stay out of love with unknown items.

It is sort of brave, I guess, to keep pushing onward through boxes. I will admit to you that HRH has the consistency more than me. I do get discouraged. But one or the other of us usually feels up to the next box when the other one doesn't.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:20 pm

A book found a new home, and some yarn crafted items.
Burnt the branches making the backyard look way less cluttered!
I have been keeping up on the paper declawing.

Burned limbs in back yard counting that, it cleared out some space in the back yard.
Last edited by Nancy on Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:06 pm

I am sorry I haven't been here to congratulate you on all your work

yay on one box at a time d harriet!!!!
it IS brave!!! one box at a time gets it done.

yay d harmony on getting rid of the necklaces!!!
yes - decluttering a little at a time really helps!!!

hi d Nancy yay on getting rid of back yard clutter!!! good job on going through paper too

dh and I dropped off a bit of decluttering 2 weeks ago.
I start going through my stuff again soon. Looking forward to it!
I am ready!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Return to “The Decluttered Home”