January Clutter Control, 2015

Share your decluttering activities and ideas.
BookSaver
Administrator

Re: January Clutter Control, 2015

Postby BookSaver » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:13 pm

Blesseds2 ~ Thanks for the clue that I had posted in the wrong place earlier today! :roll:
Here is what I put in the November thread by mistake, as I was looking back at progress from last year --
Now that the holidays are over and I will have time to focus time and energy on the house, I'm going back to using my little 12"x12"x12" crate as a guide for decluttering. That worked well for me in October and early November, before we started helping to clear out DMIL's house.

Yesterday I sorted out enough old sweaters to fill the crate. They were too worn out to donate anywhere, except to the outdoors cats.

DH set up cubbies in the shed where, if they choose, the cats can go in and be protected from wind and snow. I have seen a couple of the cats curled up in them now and then. I tossed the old sweaters in the cubbies last night.

They will go into the trash bin when temperatures warm up in the spring.

Decluttering with my cube is just using the little crate as a visual aide to keep me going. That size seems to me to be a reasonable amount of stuff to try to get rid of each day. Before, I would spend hours decluttering and get rid of lots of stuff, but without trying to measure anything. It felt endless, like there wasn't any evidence that I had done any work at all, and there is still so much to do in every room. I was getting discouraged. :( With the crate, at least I can make a little note on my form that I did it. Even if no one else can see a difference, I will know that at the end of each month I have gotten rid of X number of cubic feet of stuff.

Writing it out, I know that it would sound dumb to a lot of people, but I see it as the same idea as a person on a manufacturing line in a factory keeping track of how many items they build in a week. It's hard to see any evidence of progress when the same parts keep coming down the conveyor belt and a person has to keep doing the same thing over and over every day. Sometimes we have to come up with our own version of keeping track of progress.

I will try to fill the crate each day with things that will leave the house -- donate, recycle, trash, etc. If I get in the groove, I can fill the crate more than once per session, but I don't have to. 1 crate's worth per day will be enough to make visible progress every week.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:22 pm

Actually it sounds very smart and doable d Book.. Thank you!!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:39 pm

I'm currently decluttering as I read, "Organizing for Life," by the Messies Anonymous founder, Sandra Felton. It's very good.

I'm very sick today, so I've had 2 naps, declutter when I feel well or am on my way back from the bathroom. I'm glad I can have a tidy home, when I'm sick, so it's presentable and peaceful-looking, even though I feel like crud with "The Crud."
"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." ~ Arthur Ashe

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:36 pm

Thanks for the encouragement, Blessedw2.
FelineFriend, I hope you are feeling much better today.

Yesterday's declutter crate was glass jars and plastic storage dishes. I had brought home from DMIL's some "real" quart and pint canning jars, which meant I could automatically get rid of the same number of misc. sizes, ones I'd saved from salsa and such. Then I tossed out several extra because I had been saving more than I am likely to use. Also ditched a few plastic dishes whose lids are missing, probably buried in DH's mancave.

Today I will work on newspapers.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:08 pm

I tossed out several extra because I had been saving more than I am likely to use
dear Book ... I can't tell you how awesome that is!!! It's so hard to let go of these things the most. Great work.

Oh dear friend I hope you start feeling better right away!!!

dh brought in two new bags of stuff from the store and I think it gives me a reason to let go of a couple things...
Also I am trying to look at where I feel clutter the most (where I feel most drained by the demands that clutter puts on my heart) - right now that is dd younger's room after our visitors have left... I keep visitor packages and blankets etc. in an area in the linen closet. (so time to unscramble her room)

1/2 bag of garbage taken out of dd youngers room (mostly new bed wrappings - blanket plastic etc., christmas boxes)
Last edited by blessedw2 on Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:34 pm

Feel better, FFriend!

blessed, here is a quote for you, for when you feel you are overthinking:

Every minute invested in planning will save you ten minutes down the road. I can personally attest that not only does a little planning ahead help with time management, but it also saves money and reduces stress. Don’t we all want more help in those areas? - Shayla Finch of DesignFinch Graphic Design

BookSaver, that's a smart way to quantify what you're doing, in no uncertain terms. I think we all crave ways to see progress and get a handle on how well we've done. We can doubt ourselves without "seeing" success, even if we've been working.

Today is my trek from entryway to bedrooms for declutter. Will be in bedrooms until Monday week. Peeking around corner of master... .... oh, dear. Oooooooh, dear. Just a few too many stash-and-dashes over the holidays!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:50 pm

D Harriet :D , gave me a giggle and feel light hearted again.. thank you! (and for me - a so true statement)
Peeking around corner of master... .... oh, dear. Oooooooh, dear. Just a few too many stash-and-dashes over the holidays!
:D

and I totally agree with
I think we all crave ways to see progress and get a handle on how well we've done. We can doubt ourselves without "seeing" success, even if we've been working.
I think we also need being acknowledged that we are trying hard. When I am here: I feel confident because of everyone's positive spirit.

thank you for the quote! I needed this right now.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:23 pm

http://blog.housefairy.org/10-quick-ways-to-declutter-your-home?utm_content=6440592&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook

from Pam Jones-(I have her book-I am finding it interesting)
I liked the following:

1. "Stop homelessness"
2."Stop Clutter at the cash register"
6. "Dump Duplicates"
7.My favorite "Stay away from the Museum business" (so me
10. "Have a plan"

-------------
things that worked last year... painting a couple of inside cabinets with chalk board paint in kitchen.. I write my temporary things for groceries and my calendar for med's on the other. I am thinking of putting up a metal board on the inside of another cabinet - I saw that somewhere and it looked good for organizing

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:44 am

today's decluttering from Peter walsh's 31 days of declutter is to go into the master bedroom and work 10 minutes - taking anything that does not belong in there and take it out and put it away.

This fits with where we are in our de-clutter dance (thank you d Harriet :D )

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:55 pm

I still have a clean and orderly desktop here, in my small office, where my laptop is. However, I have 2 cardboard boxes in the main office, which I'm sorting through, am purging things, and keeping only what I want or need, to bless myself or another person.

I'm reading "Organizing Your Life," by Sandra Felton. After I finish it, I'll re-read my other Nook e-books on organizing. Also, :idea: I want to get out ALL of my organizing books, which I've bought, have been given to me as gifts or by DD, so they are together. I plan to re-read them all, to get in a better mind-set.

I dumped some trash yesterday. I also put papers and background papers into the main office shelves. The cutter piles on the shelves, in 2 stacks, are what I'm sorting through, which are in the boxes. Every so often, when I get up to do something else, I walk down the hall, to sort again. I am ill, so I'm not doing it all at once, but in my baby steps, I'm slowly getting it done, bit by bit.

Thank you for the get well wishes, Harriet, and others. ♥
"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." ~ Arthur Ashe

Return to “The Decluttered Home”