January Declutter Strategy

Share your decluttering activities and ideas.
blessedw2

Re: January Declutter Strategy

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:17 am

yesterday was a tough donate on one item - I almost jumped into the bin to retrieve it :D no really; I almost did lol.
it was an irish like new handwoven throw from when my mom went to Ireland. I haven't used it for a really long time and decided it didn't fit in anywhere. I hope it blesses someone else and is used and loved.
also got rid of all the oil paints.
and multiple other things.

I tossed all my french cards - I haven't done french for awhile so I need to go back to refresh mode. I will need to do the practice again.
It actually felt good.

I have been going through things regularly over the year but I finally focused on my garden things. seeds from last year are now gone. I pared down to what I need/want. I still have to go through my outdoor sheers.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:28 pm

I clered off the table and most of the kitchen counters doing rounds something fun between sessions was very productive
and helpful for me this week.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:47 pm

yay d nancy

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:58 pm

I got rid of all my extra french books/cards/papers
I got rid of my french harry potter book (first book)
I went through papers and decluttered

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:38 pm

Yea blessed.
I went in to do a declutter session but ended up paintijng some letters on a sign. :mrgreen:

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:05 pm

well I think that's awesome d nancy!!! good for you and your painting!

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:07 pm

I was decluttered through the 10th. Not sure I'm able or want to catch up at this point, may be too many decisions I'm not sure I'm prepared to make this week! But that is still 55 items. I need to keep decluttering when I see something. I know I can let some more clothes go, and makeup, and craft things.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:54 pm

d twins ... no catching up! :D You helped me realize that when I was depressed at not keeping up. You were such a huge help during that time... thank you again.

cheering you on.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:04 pm

I have been following a couple challenges by different people this January as I have been decluttering for awhile every week instead of once a year. why I thought I could do decluttering once a year; I will never know.

today was a hard one - I gave my brother my new tent from 2 years ago - never used. 2 man one, and also sleeping bag, the thing you sleep on top of with your sleeping bag. I love camping but I am no longer at a place to go - I don't have anyone that would go with me anyway. Letting that dream go (what I used to be able to do) is really hard. I have to look at it positively: a young person, who doesn't have the money, can have these things and have their own adventures. This one was a hard one.

brother took my old camping gas container bc I can't get rid of it here.

When dh isn't home I will get rid of dd younger's fishing stuff. It's better to be used. it hasn't been touched in over 7 years. I am not a fisher woman - I rather be outdoors in a boat than fishing.

dh has always let go of things he has gotten as gifts. it's okay to me. the other day I tried donating a huge cup he bought me for my birthday and he was so upset. I had to keep it. it's too big and heavy. I have to talk to him about this.

also dealing with my mom's art soon. I will take pictures and put them on ancestry.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:22 pm

I have a problem - more a frustration.

As you know I have been decluttering for a long time.
I used to do once a year but 2 years ago I worked with my mentor: A better life with Kat - on a weekly basis. I have kept up with the weekly decluttering and I am at the end of decluttering my own stuff.
I also got rid of 2/3 of dd youngers stuff that packed our basement. (dd older as well)

I had a lot. dh still has a lot.

my frustration is that I have been doing housework by doing zones, BWP, decluttering bit by bit and my 30 year dd said that it doesn't work.
That I am wasting my time and that I don't have the time to paint etc. and that i should hire someone and just get it done.

I am finally able to work on the home - painting etc. I can't afford all the work that needs to be done (yes I feel bad that I let things go but I know that if I didn't declutter I would be working around the junk). She said that working on things like I do doesn't work. But she is 30 years old. At 30 I was a so busy and could lift and do everything faster.

I am frustrated because I have worked very very hard to keep things clean and do get to things on a regular basis (most times) not October 31 and on.
I have to remember to have faith in the process I follow. it's hard when someone else thinks it takes too long.
I would not be here now if it wasn't for the fact I worked hard on things weekly.

I have to remember not to take those words into my heart and stop doing things. I did that with my d mom, dh and now dd. She didn't mean it meanly but oh if she knew how much work I have done. I have been working on this so that my own dd's don't have to deal with my stuff. I also want what I love now. (not yesterday, not someone else's stuff, not I might need it one day.)

Return to “The Decluttered Home”