October 2012 Three-Quarter-Year Mark Declutter

Share your decluttering activities and ideas.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: October 2012 Three-Quarter-Year Mark Declutter

Postby Nancy » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:26 am

Donated a couple of shelves we took out of or off of the play house when I cleaned and de-junnked it earlier in the month.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:40 pm

great! dnancy

came across a saying that I like (by ?) "You can't start the next chapter in your life if you keep re-reading the last one" (same with your stuff) who are you today? Do your things represent whom you are today?
it is always a joy to be here with you!

ellyphant

Postby ellyphant » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:10 pm

Helped DD clean out closets last week. We took 4 bags to Goodwill. Was proud that she let go of 2 prom dresses. At age 25, she has no need for those. Neither is she the same size as when she wore them. Told her none of us stay the same size we are at 18!

Like that saying, blessed!
How you do your work is a portrait of yourself.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:39 pm

big way to go Dear Elly and Dear Elly's daughter!!! you have truly blessed others.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:04 pm

went through newspapers: also got rid of all the puzzles I had been saving
I thought it would take me days to put things away for the basement (carpet being torn out )but thanks to dear Harriet's website and all of us working together to dejunk our world - it didn't take me long as much was already organized and dejunked. I took up 3 containers (mostly old pictures) to be put away where they belong. dh ran over with some more of my craft donations. All I have to do is vacuum. put away 1 box that is empty (I no longer have millions of plastic containers or things with out lids or lids without bottoms! :D ) 1-1/2 hours and it is done down there. I never knew our ping pong table folded up so nicely ;)

Still using "let it go" and "live in the moment" to help me dejunk.
the garage. well that's another matter. (not my terrain)

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:44 pm

I need talking out of something: I have 2 ready to smock (pleated) pieces of pink and blue cotton material. I have had it for 23 years (after I made a dress for dd 23 - when I was into smocking). I keep thinking "one day", (I wanted to have a business - making Christening gowns etc.) but was always so disorganized to do it. I have other projects I want to do and smocking is not my thing any more - maybe it's because of my youth who knows. If I have someone tell me to let it go I will. One isn't even good enough to give away because I cut a piece off the blue one. I still have the dress somewhere but I don't know where. I know I won't be sewing a dress again for a long time. I am wondering why this one is hard to let go off. doesn't make too much logical sense to me.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:07 pm

blessed, honey, I'm the wrong one to come in here. I'm thinking of grandchildren or some kind of small item you could make from the fabric instead. So you don't want to listen to me!!!!! Let's see... ... I could say 23 years is a long time. (HOW did dd get to be 23?)

You could consider this - if the fabric you had found was 23 years old back then, would you have wanted to sew something out of it? Um... ... did you pleat this yourself? (In other words, can you honestly call this a UFO in which you have invested, or is this supplies only?) Btw - Do I have 23 year old fabric that I would use? ABSOLUTELY. But then, I would be (hopefully) making quilts in vintage patterns that lend themselves to those fabrics.

Is there more guilt here or more anticipation? In my experience, there can be a lot of guilt associated with christening/baptism/dedication garments. My grandmother had guilt over losing one bonnet out of the two outfits her sister painstakingly stitched for her twin daughters. And the guilt tradition in our family just extends from there, le'metellya.

How quickly and simply can you make this garment? If you know you could never be satisfied with anything except an exquisite use of this fabric, you need to admit that to yourself. (Could you bear to ask a pro to make it? This would cost a bundle.) Are you prepared to have nothing but boy grandchildren and great-grandchildren who'll never appreciate this fabric?

Wow. I'm just exhausted and it's not even my decluttering. I am terrible at textile decluttering.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:58 pm

"le'metellya." made me laugh so hard dear Harriet!!! I know there is a reason I have it, I have rid myself of almost all my fabrics (donated) or free garage sale. Maybe my not getting rid of these two items is mostly emotional. The wish of something to be done in the past. I used to love smocking and all fabric arts. Maybe I will hold it another year and if I don't do anything with it I will bless it and send it to the fabric fairies. you're the Best Harriet!!!

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:49 pm

Blessedw2 ~ Since I've lately been trying to look at sewing projects from different directions, my first thought was:

How would this pleated fabric look made up into a decorative pillow? Or edging a standard pillowcase?
Or inserted in the middle of a shopping bag, or sewed around the top of a bag?
Or made into a really fancy gift bag with ribbons?
Or jewelry holder? Cosmetic case?
Part of a Victorian-style Christmas stocking?
Lining of an Easter basket?
Padded lining for storing china?
You could try to dye it a different color and if it didn't work out right, oh well, easier to declutter.

I guess my point is, maybe it would help to stop thinking of it as fabric for "smocking" and turn it around to think of as just fabric with lots of texture.

I am terrible at textile decluttering.
My name is BookSaver and I am a fabriholic. :)

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:59 pm

I love the creativity of all of us fabric lovers dear Book and Dear Harriet!!! It is the possibilities that feel so good. I have so many possibilities though lol I love the feeling of new fabric etc. and the dreams of what it could be.

I did let go of a cross stitch package (christmas item) I donated it for some other crafter. I still have my sampler I bought years ago that I really want to finish.

Return to “The Decluttered Home”