January's Dynamic Declutter

Share your decluttering activities and ideas.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: January's Dynamic Declutter

Postby Nancy » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:10 am

Helped dd declutter an old printer today.
Then had to reconsider after we saw it!
When we got it decided that it was not worth keeping ours was newer.
The cabinet will be useful so will need to clean that up before taking it to the basement
it has wheels.
Last edited by Nancy on Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:17 am

Yeah on helping dd get rid of her copier

Me... well I know I have clutter again as I have a basement brimming again

so I am in letting go again. I think I am so ahead but If I don't have time to put away that means I have too much stuff.
:roll:
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:08 pm

I talked to my ddad about getting rid of the chest freezer. He said if someone else could use it we could let it go! Yay! Of course, this means time and work, and I can't get to it right now, but perhaps a spring chore!

Dd11 worked in her closet today. The donations bag here is filling.
If you don't believe in miracles, you're not being realistic.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:42 pm

There's so much motivation in here for me.

DH has been campaigning to get another freezer and I've been stonewalling, putting off, making excuses, anything not to get one. I don't want the extra electricity, the extra food sitting around (becomes problematic in hurricane season) etc. Putting something like that out in the garage is not energy efficient as it gets so hot out there. Crossing my fingers this subject does not come up again.

Tonight I got the recycling bin out, it was brimming with cardboard. Big TV box, rotisserie box and a nice size box my new calculator came in. Some people hoard boxes and cardboard. Not me, I'm always scrambling when I need to mail something!

Sherinjoy, I wish you luck with your storage unit, and sincerely hope it does not become a permanent fixture. Even though it sounds like a good idea, just the idea of moving all that stuff twice makes me wonder just how much extra energy that requires. Still, you do need space to sort... will be interesting to hear your story along the way.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:03 pm

Harmony, I found this quote for you!

"Thanks to my mother, not a single cardboard box has found its way back into society. We receive gifts in boxes from stores that went out of business twenty years ago." - Erma Bombeck

Does anyone recognize themselves? I know I do! :D

One more TKGbag out to trash from my dparents' house.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:32 pm

LOL Harriet! My DMom was the same. I do keep gift size boxes, shirt size, etc., and I have a small box full of little jewelry sized boxes. Haha, Sunny has a pattern, she can actually make little jewelry sized boxes out of stuff, I have some of those!

The ones I throw away are the big ones. People like to keep those big ones to store stuff in. I try not to keep that much stuff to store!

I used to love Erma Bombeck and read several of her books, such funny wisdom!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:35 pm

Dgd had a blast playing with the box from her toy stroller from Christmas
that I brought home for decluttered items!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:21 pm

One more TKGbag out from my parents' house. The current donation bag is almost full.

Found myself at Goodwill today but did not have the donation bag from my own house that is full. Sigh!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:12 am

I dumped the trash today.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:19 pm

I have had a monumental happiness a few minutes ago. I found a vintage family quilt that had disappeared at my parents' house a year ago.

You would have thought I had found a lost baby. I just held it for a while, trying to get over the relief! Mama evidently had tried to help by taking it to her room, near her bed, then immediately forgot what she had done. It was on the 2 chairs she has lined up to use for balance when she gets out of bed (and which the rest of us do not disturb for that very reason), and, in its pillowcase covering, looked just like the other pillows she keeps there. To say it was the last place I looked is an understatement, because at that moment I was actually walking from closet to closet, reminding myself of having thoroughly searched each and every crevice everywhere (and now I even have the far back "storage" bedroom almost completely decluttered except for the bookcases). I put it straight into a tall kitchen garbage bag and spirited it over here quick, to my sewing room quiltrack, safe, safe. Whew.

I even awakened HRH (he hardly slept last night - pain was dreadful) to tell him. He was well enough to say that he'd told me so (that I would find it, because my parents never throw anything away).

Also my faith in my own brain is restored, because I thought I had lost that along with the quilt, and it's been a year. :roll: I had really had self-recrimination over this - to think I'd allowed a family quilt to (seemingly) be thrown away, when I of all people ought to know how much work went into it, and that it should be documented. We had never even gotten a photo of it.
If you don't believe in miracles, you're not being realistic.

Return to “The Decluttered Home”