October's Dynamic Declutter

Share your decluttering activities and ideas.
blessedw2

Re: October's Dynamic Declutter

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:31 am

that is a banner day Dtwins!!! you have blessed someone with your furniture and blessed yourself with decluttering... Yeah

dnancy yeah on getting the donations out of your house and to the center!

*\o/*
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:24 pm

Have loaded up my car with several large bags of Goodwill donations from dh, ds, and me. Also a set of king-sized sheets (need to purge the rest and clean out the linen closet.)

I am planning to drop these off on Saturday.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:08 am

that is really fantastic dtwins!!! Good for you

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:09 am

Following Twins Mom and Nancy to the car trunk, I got another donation bag ready there for drop-off next time we are in the next town at their Goodwill. This was mainly clothes, but also books and one holiday decoration still in the box (a gift to us last year) that I hope I am sending at a good time.

For what it's worth, the gifts we seem least likely to use in our home are holiday decoration gifts. With the exception of tree ornaments (which truly are "the more the merrier"), we seem to find ourselves politely accepting things that don't make sense in our decor. I think it's very rare for one person to know another's taste in holiday decor. This one was modernistic glass, which just can't work in our country-themed, multi-toddler home.

Makes me think of my desire to give children's gifts that don't clutter their rooms. I have a rule that I don't give many-part gifts like Lego, nor do I give large size items unless I know the child has asked for it. Absolutely nothing messy or wet-able! (Oh, the horror! :shock: btdt!) I love giving clothing-type items like vests, purses, oversize character tees or pjs, and recently jewelry boxes have gone over well, also matchbox-car storage pieces. Anything to contain or minimize clutter rather than add more chaos. When in doubt, something small, with money added.

I'm so happy for your dd enjoying her calm, collected room, blessed.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:21 am

Dd keeps bringing food over for the grandkids to eat while they are here
and it was getting over whelming so I tossed some and donated some
her f-in-law gave them three big quaker oats containers so I donated one to the food bank
and she brought another one over here so glad I did that last week!
I still have some that I did not use up from before.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:30 am

yeah dharriet getting a donation bag ready for the car. and great on getting rid of something that doesn't work for you!

great job on food donation dnancy!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:33 am

another bag gone. dd15 had to donate old things to equal what she brought in from dmom. it was hard but she found shorts from when she was 10 and a bathing suit. I am not being hyper vigilent about the exact amount as that would cause a huge problem of holding on instead of letting go. but she did get rid of enough to keep status quo of what she brings in. dh went up to her yesterday and told your what a good job she did.. she was beaming. I know how hard it is for her and she did very very well.
she got new slippers and got rid of her well loved slippers without a blink.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:43 pm

Way to go gals!!!

Tossed an old planner that I'd gutted
and cleared off a spot on my table
that I use for a desk in my office today yea!!!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:39 am

yeah nancy!

I went shopping the day before yesterday..bought meat grinder and a couple things so I am looking at what I can get out of my house to keep the one thing in one thing out... trust me if I don't do this my house builds clutter and I become swamped in my things.

I tossed from fridge/went in garage and got rid of 1/2 metal angle corners as we have too many.. kept 4 of each
had nothing today for donation day

bittersweet

Postby bittersweet » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:33 am

I finally found a way to start decluttering some of my craft stuff! Down in the 'dungeon', there is a dresser with one drawer that was stuffed full of material - mostly decent sized pieces. Three washing machine loads of material!! It's going to get made into kittycat pads for work. There's some lovely cottons down there, and part of my brain says, "But I want to use that for........" I managed to overrule it, though...that stuff has been sitting down there for over five years! :shock: If I truly do start learning to quilt, I can start by practicing on the precut squares and triangles of cotton given to me by a friend who decided to declutter some of her quilting stuff.
"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day of the year." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Return to “The Decluttered Home”