November Dynamic Declutter

Share your decluttering activities and ideas.
Harriet

November Dynamic Declutter

Postby Harriet » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:14 pm

Welcome! In this thread we encourage each other to give at least 15 minutes a day to the declutter and rediscovery of our lovely homes. Won't you join us?

Something to ponder when you THINK your house is messier than anyone could understand:

Once upon a time (2001) in New Zealand, a woman named Jo Yellowlees went onto the internet and told the world the truth about what she called the "squalor" of her home, believing it might help someone else. She said, in part:

"I spend much time and energy trying to hide the true state of my house - clutter and mess - from people. Squalor is a confronting word. It's a degree of mess that goes beyond untidiness. The state of the house deteriorates, small piles become big piles, then even bigger piles. Sometimes beds can't be slept in, tables disappear under clutter. You go to great lengths to conceal your living conditions. It's a very draining, stressful way to live. Keeping your mess a secret is tiring. Every interaction with another person is a chance you'll get found out."

Jo slowly managed to pull her home up out of that state. Many others posted back to her to say they faced the same problem, and that she had inspired them to change their lives, too. Her site, Squalor Survivors, was closed in 2008, but for 7 years Jo's tell-it-like-it-is, tough-love thoughts helped people all over the world reclaim decent, livable homes.

One strong passage Jo posted was this one. Even though it's so honest it stings, I think it speaks to the way we feel about each other here in The Decluttered Home forum, and how we hope our own continuing struggles say to others - btdt, and we understand.

If you are faced with cleaning up years of hoarded clutter, you are almost certainly feeling overwhelmed and asking, "Where do I start?" Maybe you feel like you're the worst housekeeper ever.

You're not the first person to struggle with this. Squalor has been beaten, and some who preceded you on this journey want to help those who follow on the path to freedom from squalor. It's not an easy cruise, but it's worth it. We won't judge you, the person living in squalor. Being a bad housekeeper doesn't make you a bad person. I'm not saying living in squalor is okay. We come to bury squalor, not to praise her. You deserve better than to live in squalor.

Harriet

Re: November Dynamic Declutter

Postby Harriet » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:17 pm

If you are working on maintenance mode right now instead and would like some company in your efforts ;) here's one declutter plan to consider. Indiana will be leading the very cool Focus Cleaners 8-) through these concepts beginning these dates for November:

Maintenance Round
maintenance 11/8/2010
maintenance 11/15/2010
thanksgiving 11/22/2010
holiday decor 11/29/2010

So, why not declutter in preparation for these plans ahead of those times so you'll have clear surfaces to clean as you follow her lead! :idea:

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:55 pm

To get ready decluttering Halloween decorations that haven't been used or are sad looking.

Then decluttering Thanksgiving decorations and finally Christmas decorations.

That will give us a fresh start for the new year.

I found a home for a clock, an oil lamp, 4 champagne glasses and a wild turkey decanter. This week I can wrap those and put them in a box for dniece. Later she gets a bag of hangers and a gazillion tablecloths. They are all beige and fit my table open, my normal table, and card tables together or apart.

Dniece took a bag of things she wanted on Saturday. Dnephew#1 forgot his bag. When dnephew#2 moves he will take a lot of boxes of dishes, pots and pans, silverware, etc. When dnephew#3 moves he will take the furniture in the garage.

Slowly - very slowly things are leaving.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:23 pm

ooo I really like the very cool focus thread girls! 8-) feeling cooler by the minute! :ugeek:
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:26 pm

my halloween stuff is back in closet (tossed quite a bit where my halloween is now only in one bin)
had donation day yesterday!

dindiana awesome work

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:31 pm

I know I've written on PWYC at least twice about planning to dig out and rearrange the kitchen. Each time I thought I'd have long blocks of time and really get a lot done. Each time my blocks of time disappeared (DH had other plans) so did not make the progress I'd hoped.

Instead, I've been doing the classic SHE thing of picking at the bad spots a few minutes at a time. After several sessions that way, I'm finally starting to see a difference. Tiny difference, but it's enough for me to feel good about.

Had some good sessions since last trash day. Last night the trash can was full when DH took it to the curb. I also stuffed the recycle bin as full as it would go, with almost half a bin more that wouldn't fit, so will carry over to next trash day.

I always wash out bottles & cans in the dish water after I've done dishes, so no worry about attracting bugs from the leftover recycling. I've emptied a large plastic storage bin that I don't currently need for anything else, so that's going to be the place for whatever recycling won't fit in the official bin. That way I can keep moving on getting rid of stuff.

They won't take any glass in the recycle bin any more. (Supposedly there were too many injuries during pickup.) I hate to throw glass in the trash when I know it can be recycled easily. Therefore I have some boxes of glass jars that I need to drive somewhere. Just need to find out which recycle location in the county will take them.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:31 pm

Harriet, I have seen Jo's before & after pictures of her cleanout, and have seen some postings, but have not read the originial story in progress. I'm sure she helped a lot of people.

I'm just doing bits and pieces here and there as I go along. Like bundles of plastic bags DH insists on piling up in the laundry. I fill my bag holder and take the rest out when he's not around. I'm really pleased with my number of clothes now, took 3 times of purging and sorting to get to this comfortable level.

Found it pleasing to take everything out underneath kitchen sink, just 2 plastic carriers and 1 big bottle (so we could work on the filters). My biggest clutter is always paper, and 1 wire basket got tossed from piles on corners of my desk today.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:50 am

Thanks for this thread I was thinking I was not very productive and now I see I'm on track with the maintain mode! Yea! I did put a couple food items to donate next time we are to town for the food bank.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:21 am

hi nancy
hi harmony get job at purging and sorting. love that paper being tossed.
hi book I think the tiniest of accomplishments build into one big one when we don't even notice it. great job on filling garbage can

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:51 am

Hi blessedw2!
One bin of decorations is ready to go in the next trip to town!
Yea for progress everybody!!!

Return to “The Decluttered Home”