Start with a Plan January, 2011

Share your decluttering activities and ideas.
sherinjoy

Re: Start with a Plan January, 2011

Postby sherinjoy » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:20 am

Hello ladies! I love, love, love Peter Walsh, he speaks directly to me in his writing and shows. He has a new book out, which I just received today from Amazon, entitled "Lighten Up - Love what you have, Have What you need, and Be Happier with less". I already briefly looked at it and it is classic Peter, which is -face it and deal with it, it isn't going to go away on its own" - (my words, not his). The amazing thing is the Table of contents is exactly what I have just finished doing - auditing my house and personal life. He suggests going through all areas of your life and house and documenting the current state of them, so then you can plan what to change. He calls it "From Audit to Action", which I was calling inventorying my property (stuff) and life. In the last week I have gone to each room, garage, attic, property and taken pictures of everything - as it is! This provides me with the "before" pictures, because I definitely want an "after" picture. I took pictures of me, DH and DS too! Now I'm in the planning stage of action, hopefully not procrastinating but making an action plan to follow. He writes, "Prioritizing your time and tasks is a key step in organizing. Write up a plan of what needs to be done and be as specific as possible about what will get done and when." Also, "Small steps yield big results. Focus less on how long it may take you, and work for small changes each day and have faith the the big ones will come."

My theme for the year is "Peace and Freedom" and uncluttering my home and life is the path I'm taking. Thanks for your support on the journey. I get so much inspiration from reading all your posts.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:53 am

GO, Sherinjoy! I'm looking forward to reading about your progress. I'm going to check the library to see if P. W.'s book is there. I'll bet with his own show now they will have it sooner or later.

I also appreciate reading about his show. I'd have to upgrade quite a bit to get it. Maybe someday it will be on the internet somewhere.

Most of my clutter problems now are not even mine, they are DH's. That is an even worse problem than having my own clutter. I have no problem decluttering my own stuff. But motivating him is tricky. He hoards tools and old tool parts, building supplies, and any clothes he has ever worn (but thankfully he never had an over abundance of them like we see on those shows).

Lisa B.

Postby Lisa B. » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:36 pm

I would love to get to watch Peter Walsh. You all make him sound good. I like and appreciate the notes too from his show.

Sherinjoy mentioned that he has a new book out......will have to have a look and see if my online site has it yet and costs to order it. I enjoyed reading It's All Too Much.

“The most effective way to do it, is to do it.” ~ Amelia Earhart
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me.” – Ayn Rand

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:57 pm

Harriet that is exactly what dh says here in the office about the stuff on his desk.

He and dson seem to "collect" magazines they have been making progress on these and are trading them back and forth these days. I told h. that if they are over two mo. old he needs to get them out of here that's plenty of time to read 'em.
Last edited by Nancy on Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:34 pm

Here is a link for Peter Walsh's new show.

http://www.oprah.com/own-enough-already ... walsh.html

There are video clips but not the full hour of video.

I enjoy his shows and writing. He puts it into basic terms. Some of the skills he talks about on decluttering can be transferred to other things.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:49 pm

I still like the P & P plan of doing one wall a week north south east & west less overwhelming. Sorting things and moving them 2 x does not make as much sense according to dson he has a point. I do love the mojo from Peter's show and do miss it.

Storage zone is looking mighty fine around here! Yea!
How about you all do you have holiday stuff put away this year?

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:59 pm

I just saw a clip of something Peter Walsh said. If you have something on a flat surface that doesn't belong it is clutter and it encourages more clutter.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:34 pm

That show came on later and I was able to catch it here yea!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:58 pm

Lots of flat surfaces need attn. around here. Yesterday I worked on the dvds and videos sorting them getting some loaned out and some are on the landing zone to go for donations the next
time we are out and about.

The ones we are keeping upstairs are now in a small plastic tote the files fit in and that made a big difference in reducing visual clutter in the living room. Yea for progress!

Return to “The Decluttered Home”