Liberty in July

Share your decluttering activities and ideas.
Hannibelle

Re: Liberty in July

Postby Hannibelle » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:19 pm

sherinjoy wrote:Hi, I am new to posting, although I am a long time lurker on the SHE boards. I posted my intro in Across the Café Table. I have been decluttering intently since January, but recently added a further commitment to the process. I read a Flylady blog about 365 days of decluttering, meaning every day at least one thing needed to leave your home/property. I started on July 1, entitling my project 183 days of decluttering. I have a list in Word that says what left my house/garage/property today, so that I can keep myself accountable. I also have been working with a professional organizer about 1 or 2 times a week throughout the summer to help the process along. We make a great team, and power through so much stuff every time. Thanks for listening, and I’ll be posting more about my process.

Very nice to meet you sherinjoy!

I am new to posting and really pretty new in most every way to this community, actually! I have lurked a bit here and there on occasion, especially at the urging of other dear SHE friends who have been begging me to come be more active here.

I am soooo desirous of claiming 'intense decluttering' of my own home here! I've just struggled with trying to figure out how to start, how to break it down into commitment size, what contract I would enter in to with myself, etc., etc. I do feel like I'm mentally ready to release things? If I am making any sense?? I am still just struggling with the how, the mechanism of disposal, the time commitment, etc. I think I've got WHY all covered! ;) So! Therefore I find your above post quite enticing and intriguing! Where did you find this 365 Flylady blog?

I'm so excited by the resources I have found here. They seem like they will be helpful in this effort! I hope I can somehow find a method/way to join in with the other successful declutterers I'm reading about here!

sherinjoy

Postby sherinjoy » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:35 pm

“What can I release today that will open my life to my greater good?”
Written by me and posted on my computer frame so I see it everyday.

Hi Hannibelle, Thanks for responding to my post. The address for the 365 blog is http://365daysofdecluttering.blogspot.com/. It is written by a Flylady follower and has several other blog addresses on it of other’s personal 365’s. I recognized some of the SHE names on the blogs, but haven’t checked them out. I find that keeping a list helps motivate me to do more each day and builds momentum, which is crucial to decluttering. The more you do, the more you want to do because it feels so liberating. I started with the prof. organizer in my garage because that was the worst and made me feel the most guilty. The progress has been wonderful and I can walk into my garage now and find what I want. We have much more to do, but our efforts are definitely visually noticeable. I am a big fan of Peter Walsh from “Clean Sweep” and have read his books and used his techniques. He’s been on Oprah’s show and I listen to his radio show every Friday. I’ll post more tomorrow if you’re interested. Well, I’m off to find my items to declutter today. Never a lack of those in this house!

Hannibelle

Postby Hannibelle » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:31 pm

Ooooh! Thanks for the information, sherinjoy! I will eagerly await more!

I LOVE Peter Walsh as well. I think he's so tremendously gifted at dealing with the psychological components and getting to the true root of the problem, thereby successfully eradicating (hopefully!) the condition so it doesn't come right back. I have planned on getting some of his books, though I haven't yet. What would be your recommendation on which ones to get first?

I had NO IDEA he had a radio show! Wonder if he has podcasts??

{{{sherinjoy}}}, thank you so much for offering hope and new resources!

sherinjoy

Postby sherinjoy » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:36 am

“I am letting go of those things and ideas in my life that do not serve me in the present.”
Written by me and on my nightstand, where I see it everyday.

I’m going to be gone most of today, but I still have to find my 1 item minimum to declutter today to keep my commitment. Part of my decluttering process is to ask myself the question with each item I own, “Is this part of my current reality?” That means, do I use this now or will I use it within the next 3-6 months? Most of the stuff I have let go is “someday this might be useful” stuff and is cluttering up my present life. I think I have this fantasy life where there is 40 hours in a day and I’m doing everything at once. In reality, I am using about 20-40% of what I own and the other stuff is just taking up space in my house/garage/property. Asking myself to be honest is part of the process of letting go. So, I’m off to declutter before I leave to have fun with my family today.
Hannibelle, I'll answer your Peter Walsh questions when I get home. I have to find his books for the correct title recommendation. We actually did a book study of one of them on another SHE board last summer. It was great!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:33 pm

I am a BBC "How Clean Is Your House" fan and have never seen "Clean Sweep" but would be interested. I just love the HCIYH emphasis on understanding the bacteria, germs, pests, etc. and the reasons behind cleaning, plus those English accents and the personalities! I had never understood some of the specific links they explain - for instance, not getting rid of flies, fruit flies, etc. in a house promptly doesn't just mean bacteria are propagated (knew that), but that spiders are attracted, and then you have a new problem. I received the DVD of the later US episodes (which I don't like as much - more commercial of course because they had to try to use our products) for my birthday. I was supposed to receive the book, but it never arrived and though dh got his money back we haven't ordered again - we should because I was really looking forward to the fun.

Even though their programs are about cleaning, I remember only a few in which the danger of the poor cleanliness level wasn't also accompanied by clutter that had to be dealt with first. Some of their shows are about hoarders, almost, some about people whose accumulation of "stuff" is not bad but were getting sick because of air quality, pets, never cleaning linens/mattresses, or whatever. A few programs they had to throw away almost nothing except trash, but I'd say 80 percent had dumpsters-full of clutter leaving.
If you don't believe in miracles, you're not being realistic.

Hannibelle

Postby Hannibelle » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:35 pm

Goodness, Sherinjoy, your posts are so helpful and thought provoking! You obviously have been making great inner progress on this decluttering journey you have embarked upon. I'm just trying to soak up the wisdom from your posts here in hopes that I might be able to follow in your footsteps! :)

Harriet, I love to watch all those shows! I've never seen the BBC version of HCIYH? only the American ones. Those two are such a hoot!! They love shock value though...I doubt they're happy unless I jump up, screaming with at least one major bout of 'heebeejeebies' per episode when they start touching and smelling stuff!! :shock:

I think the folks on HCIYH? lean a bit more toward having some more serious issues at hand, IMHO. Clean Sweep is usually just dealing with clutter only, not so much toward the danger zone of sincere health risks that many participants on HCIYH? Though if you had a chance to watch the episodes of Oprah where Peter Walsh actually dealt with the serious hoarder, that was obviously a huge exception! I think they had to physically remove that couple from the house while they demolished and replaced a good portion of building materials, especially in the basement, which had been very adversely affecting the woman's health!

Another gifted life coach that is very artful at helping clients deal with the inner core issues of clutter is Hellen Buttigieg of 'Neat'. I would LOVE for her or Peter to come (I think though you know how tricky that could be if I really had to put my money where my heart's desire was??) though I would have to move to Canada for Hellen. I believe (fear??) Peter will go anywhere! :lol:

sherinjoy

Postby sherinjoy » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:17 pm

“A home is the beginning of every day. Changing it changes your life.”
Peter Walsh, from “Its All Too Much”

Harriet, I don’t get that show on my cable, but have read your descriptions of it before. Peter Walsh is more focused on clutter and starting over with a new attitude towards their possessions. However, as Hannibelle mentioned, sometimes he has to address the cleanliness issues that have taken over the rooms.

Hannibelle, the info on Peter Walsh: book title-“It’s All Too Much – An Easy Plan for Living a Richer Life with Less Stuff”; radio show- on XMRadio –Oprah channel, Friday,Sat,Sun each week, you can check it out for 30 days free through the Oprah website to sign up; he is on Oprah’s website content as one of her advisors for organization, with several articles archived; and he has his own newsletter and website-www.peterwalshdesign.com.
I have to take my ds to an appt. now, but I take boxes of old papers and declutter them while sitting in the car waiting, so I still can keep my commitment to decluttering everyday. I’ve gotten a few strange looks from passerbys, but it works for me! Talk to you later.

Hannibelle

Postby Hannibelle » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:07 pm

Ohhh my goodness, Sherinjoy! I had no idea about all this Peter Walsh information! Thank you SO MUCH! I will definitely order some of his materials for my birthday and I just signed up for his newsletter. I can't wait to check out the rest of the links I found on his website.

I continue to draw light and energy from the beam of your lantern ahead of me, Sherinjoy! :idea: :)

Have I mentioned that my dear sister (and my mom but she will be more along just for visiting if I know the way that will go! :lol: ) is coming next Tuesday to help KICK-START the decluttering and reclamation of dear Little Man's room from tattered nursery through Emerged Teen along with everything that has accumulated in there in between?!! :o

I'm *almost* AFRAID!

sherinjoy

Postby sherinjoy » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:35 pm

"You will be able to look around your home and see only things that you truly want and need to have in your living space." Peter Walsh

Hannibelle, Be afraid, be very afraid of "help" decluttering, unless you know they will listen to you when you get concerned about clearing everything out. Just kidding, maybe your relationship with your sister and Mom is wonderful. But I would never let my Mother help because her version of decluttering is ordering a dumpster and throwing everything out! She is BO and doesn't have an unnecessary item in her home and can't understand my sentimentality about stuff. I am getting so much better about letting stuff go, with the help of my organizer, but I still balk at throwing out my DS school/art work from childhood. Taking it one baby step at a time and working my way up to the tough stuff. Went through some of my clothes today and have a few items for donation.

sherinjoy

Postby sherinjoy » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:57 pm

"I step into the day, accomplishing those things that enhance my life and the lives of those around me"
Affirmation written by my friend

Lavanderbliss - Where are you? I like hearing about your decluttering journey too.

Hannibelle - I thought of a website I like that you might get some good ideas from - www.unclutterer.com. It has several postings daily of ideas and responses from readers. I have gotten several handy tips from there.

Back to the closets - and drop off some donations today.

Return to “The Decluttered Home”