Fresh As a Daisy May, 2011

Share your decluttering activities and ideas.
sherinjoy

Re: Fresh As a Daisy May, 2011

Postby sherinjoy » Tue May 24, 2011 11:03 pm

Dove - Amazing accomplishment in your attic! You should be very proud of yourself, I certainly bow to your discipline and commitment to decluttering. You're my new hero! My attic is full of Christmas stuff and other random holiday items. It definitely needs to be cleaned out and culled, because it is way more than I will ever use for holiday decor. And like your attic, it gets very hot in the summer so it would be Fall before I would attempt any work up there. But you have given me hope that it is possible, thanks for the motivation.

Harriet and Nancy - Keep up the work!

I keep plugging away at the paper monster. Hard to keep motivated with paper - it just keeps coming in! But I have gotten better at stemming the tide with daily clearing sessions.

Dove

Postby Dove » Thu May 26, 2011 1:02 pm

Thanks so much for the kind words about my attic clean up, Harriet & Sherinjoy! :)

Harriet, I used to keep my buttons in a round metal Christmas tin, but just moved them during this declutter session to one of those heavy-duty little decorative boxes. (Like the kind you can get at craft stores, where 3 or 4 of different sizes nestle inside each other.) I'm not sure that the box bottom is strong enough for the long haul, though, so I'll be looking for another tin the same size or a little bigger. (The old one was dented & worn, & I like pretty containers :) )

Sherinjoy, paper clutter is a problem for me, too. I was nodding my head in agreement as I read your post -- "it just keeps coming in!" :-) Like you, I try to stay on top of the new stuff but don't do it every day. (My piles are kept in one place & are neat , though -- does that count :P ?) I always pull any bills & bank info out of the daily mail but things like catalogs, store ads & coupons, & other misc "To Read" stuff can sit for a week or more.

I've watched some of the Hoarder shows, too, Harmony, but stopped because I hated the filth factor, too. Some of the kitchens with counters, sinks & refrigerators full of rotting food & garbage that people refused to throw away made me gag ... :shock:

Nancy, what a big help you were to your dd!

Keep up the great work, everyone! :D

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu May 26, 2011 1:36 pm

I could have been fine with some "filth factor" if time had been given to address information about that week's filth-type, to teach how to clean it, how to prevent it, maintenance. But you would see one maid for half a second and then the program would be back to people issues. I know the main storyline had to be people issues, but why not show HOW this change was happening in terms of safety for the family's future?

Without explanation of clean up and showing cleaning results for something positive to view, I just lost interest, I guess. And I was definitely their avid viewer for a while. Of course, as seasons went along there were more and more instances of homes that had to be bulldozed or abandoned anyway. I think producers were looking for people who could be counted on for amazing outbursts more than families/households who could help offer further understanding to the public. Which is a shame, since the stated purpose was increased understanding.

HRH did a lot of work decluttering in my ddad's "new room" (in which he sleeps right now, but goes back to his house through the day). I was a little disappointed that there was some "stash and dash" happening, too. But this is still progress. When dd's family comes this weekend (yikes, so close) it will help us to have such an open, available room through the daytimes for baby-naps, etc.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri May 27, 2011 10:20 am

Put stuff the was to be kept back in the guest room closet, moved clothes after they had been sorted & put out in the garage, cleaned and retrieved toys & books from under the couch chairs and beds at dd's yesterday.

Return to “The Decluttered Home”