Moving

Share your decluttering activities and ideas.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Moving

Postby Nancy » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:41 am

Several of us are moving this summer I wanted a thread for collecting my thoughts in one place about this b/c I seem to be so scattered in my thinking.

I've got a handle on a few things so far.

Shed dson said he can help move it if we can find some one with a trailer.
Play house too.
Freezer they can put it in the garage.
Will make room for the hunting stuff why am I not surprised! LOL
Dd will take the china hutch and armore' {upright cupboard in the basement}.
And possible the lighter colored book case and they can have the mower back they've been borrowing it any way! Glad I've already discussed some of this with the kids.

Decluttered kitchen counters again.
Now to see what's in those top cupboards that I can let go of.
A yard sale and neighbors are having an estate sale is in the works in the coming weeks on our street. H. said something about an auction.

Starting in one room kitchen and dining area seems like a good idea so ...
I've worked on the top cupboards sorted dishes one to keep from the farm a small tooth pick holder the rest I can let go of one set of glasses that dd can use I suspect but they need washed up first. Put 'em in plastic containers that have lids as I'm out of boxes what a great idea! Done except one shelf and that's cough syrup meds. etc. that can be tossed b/c they are old so that will be next.

So grateful that I've been going through stuff for a while and have one closet done.

Next OMM {on my mind} is dressers to see what dgson and dgd will need.
Getting 'em cleared out and ready to use for others is going on my list!

Books and book cases. I tossed a few journals I know I'll never get to and are half done. Others that are full need to go but those are in the cave basement!

Okay some good news my attitude is improving now yea!

Indiana

Re: Moving

Postby Indiana » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:38 pm

Nancy you have a great start. Keep going you can do it.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:40 pm

Thanks Indiana and others for the support and words of encouragement.
I'm dinking around on the p/c giving my foot a break now.
Got some stuff out in the trash can that I had ready to go last week with hubby's help.

I prep. for this I've been trying to wean myself from so much TV watching and doing more
reading. Speaking of TV Got the videos sorted and dvds back in to their jackets.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:08 am

Load clothing donations in car for starters.
Put toys back in toy box.

Dd was fighting a cold/alergies so it was not a good time to talk to her about the stuff she said she wanted and that will need to go to her house. China hutch and upright cupboard.

Simplifying is a good thing!
I can do this.
What is essential?
That's the q. I"m going to be asking myself a lot hoping that helps!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:53 pm

Phew what a day! I got two book shelves unloaded and plus the armoire' and got them moved to dd's place, china hutch has been unloaded, and one more book case.

Now I have to sort and purge the note books, journals etc. but that's for another day.

Got the toys rounded up and moved to the area for them for now any way.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:06 am

Nancy: You asked 'what is essential'?

From my traveling, I can offer a bit of a clue.

Here's a quick list:

1. Dh

2. Access to my kids (I satisfy this with money, you might by living close to your children.)

3. Roof over head (you have that.)

4. Food (you are managing that)

5. Clothing. You live in a variable climate so, like me, need lots of clothes that can be layered. Take a look on the internet for minimal wardrobe ideas. Your proximity to laundry machines will make a bit of a difference here. If they are handy and free, then you can make do with less. Hand washing in the sink is a possibility too, almost my whole wardrobe can be washed in a sink and dry overnight since I spend so much time living out of a suitcase but that gets tiring very quickly and I say a prayer of thanks for my washer almost every time I use it.

6. Minimal cooking/eating utensils. We've stayed in apartments that have just 4 or 6 sets of glasses/dishes/cutlery plus a frying pan, one or two pots and perhaps a broiler pan or cookie sheet. Add in a knife, vegetable peeler, flipper, dishing up spoon and a cutting board and I'm amazed at how many things I can manage to cook. The joy of so few dishes is they never take long to wash up. The joy of having dh as my partner is he cooks and I wash up dishes while he is cooking (because the plate we used to season the meat becomes the plate we eat off of so it needs to be washed up after the meat is in the pan.)

You'll figure out the minimal for your cooking

7. Computer and internet. For me this ranks high, because it becomes my social network, my connection to my family, my library, my entertainment center (my music is on it plus I can watch videos.) You may have a different priority. But the computer eliminates my need for a radio (except an emergency one), tv, vcr, dvd player, cd player, all of my books, and photo albums. (We have TVs at home but rarely use them and they are the old analog ones, not flat-screen digital ones. When they die, we don't replace them, almost 100% of our 'tv' and video watching is done on the computer.)

You talked about packing up videos. You might want to check out your local library and see what they have to offer. Dd has managed very well but she's lived in areas with excellent libraries. The library will also supply you with books, newspapers and magazines. Ours also loans out things like a 'Kill-o-Watt' to measure how much electricity your appliances use.

There's a start for you to think about. Bedding and towels are needed too (they are supplied when I travel so I didn't think about them.)

Location will make the biggest different in what you need. If you are in an area with excellent transit or within walking distance of groceries and library, you don't need a car. On the other hand, where I live now, I need a car (but only one since dh and I share fairly nicely.)

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:04 pm

K in C thanks for that helpful info. I'll think on that as we continue on this journey.
Okay we are to the not fun part of this, h. has started in on his office after we had "words" the blaming is not helping us that's for sure. I made some progress have sorted and purged four note books, and four planners. Only a bazillion more to go! LOL!

H. is whining about the big pieces that are at dd's and I keep having to remind him she did
offer to buy them. These are not from the farm and were things I bought have tried to unsuccessfully to sell 'em at yard sales.

Okay Moving to the cave basement for the next round.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:29 pm

H. is on a roll now!
Moving on past the resistance!
The rule of three is what I was raised with for clothes so sort of going with that, 3 hats bill wide brimmed and summer. When h. asked no one needs a "hat collection"!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:20 pm

When you get to souvenir t-shirts, if he resists, offer to cut the writing off the t-shirts and make it into a 'throw' quilt for him to put over himself when he's sitting in his chair. That's how I got the kids to part with their t-shirts when they were kids (not that I actually made the quilt, dd made hers when she left home, and there's a paper bag with all of ds's around here somewhere....)

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:00 pm

K in C great idea I love that!
We've gotten books and mags. purged and out of here.
Now we are discussing the concept of dusting! LOL!
You know like desks window sills more than one or two times a year, :shock: but at least we can see the floor in his office.

Table reclamation is under way both upstairs and in the cave basement.
Emptied out a dresser that had a few things in the top two drawers while I was in the laundry room.

There will be no room for my sewing machine in the pull trailer, keeping fingers crossed that the water works in it.

Return to “The Decluttered Home”