Study What's Next September

Share your decluttering activities and ideas.
Harriet

Study What's Next September

Postby Harriet » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:16 am

Stepping back to take an overview, reassess and plan - is there any more important part of our decluttering progress that that?

September, the month of back-to-school, agendas and new scheduling, is a great time to step back and STUDY our lovely homes again, in relation to clutter and in relation to the calendar, too. We're still months away from holiday moments, so we can prioritize our declutter appointments now to make our lives easier when it's time to welcome and celebrate.

And speaking of September Study, how could you aim a declutter session to benefit your own lifetime of learning? One of the wonderful benefits of decluttering is having the space and time to try those interesting subjects we've always wanted to learn about.

Let us know what you LEARN!

Harriet

Re: Study What's Next September

Postby Harriet » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:51 am

Handy-Dandy Reference :D for decluttering AHEAD of Focus Cleaning :idea:

this week bathrooms
9/5/2011 office/other room
9/12/2011 closets
9/19/2011 laundry
9/26/2011 storage

Tweak as desired to fit your lovely home!

Looking for Indiana's Focus Cleaning threads instead? HERE'S YOUR SLIDE! (calendar is at top of forum)

bittersweet

Postby bittersweet » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:45 pm

I did some decluttering in the bathroom/linen closet this morning - just five minutes, but in that short amount of time, I managed to accumulate half a bag or so each of donates and trash. Since I can't really even see a difference, I'll have to do more!
"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day of the year." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:49 pm

In the front bathroom today I rearranged the cabinets to have a more permanent space for the dgsons' stool and the "sit-on-top" for the toilet that makes it the right size for a little boy's bottom. (I don't know what to call that? It has little handles on each side and is padded.) I need to figure out how to make the stool more stable for them because it slides too readily. Actually, the front bathroom looks clear and it's time to turn attention to the master bath for the rest of the week.

Extra declutter appt was in the kitchen. I consolidated the dry pet foods into a lidded can that we used to use for chicken feed and put the chicken feed into the low cabinet. TaDa. Kitten doesn't like chicken feed, so the fact that he can get into the cabinet doesn't help him now! ;) I've also just generally got the countertops of about 2/3 of the room really clear and the floor clear with kitty water hidden out of the way. Only 2 things have been placed back on top of the refrigerator since its recent medical check-up :D and I think that's fine - they look decorative.

Overview for me -
Porch - minimal declutter - cleaning is the thing

I can have the front rooms (living, dining areas, kitchen, front bath and hall) shipshape when houseguests arrive Fri. If I can do that now, in Sept, I ought to be able to get it done regularly until holidays.

Stairs bother me because the wood needs to be cleaned, not because of clutter, so they're okay.

My ddad's room (company room) needs only cleaning - it's really very clear.

Dd13's room - constant vigilance. She's got to come to grips with the word, WORK. I'll give her the benefit of the doubt.

Master bedroom - I'd rather not talk about it. Days of work needed.

Master bath - Let me get back to report after the current declutter and Focus rotation.

upstairs - yeah, right. Not on my radar right now. HRH is going to have to take ownership of whatever needs him up there. ⇒
Quilt Studio - Everything is in order, not a problem.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:44 pm

Did you get to do more in bedroom/linen, bittersweet?

No need to ask if Nancy is getting to declutter. September is a progress month for her.

This is my "no fair piling on" day, I think, but I will take a minute to tell that in dd13's room she's had a major success and her room looks great, able to be vacuumed into corners and sidewalls easily. (private "wow", since mine's not that open) She really struggles with the one-by-one item decisions and lets things get ahead of her, but she's fighting it! Her dad is trying to get her to use the room areas wisely (laptop on desk, for instance) but she wants to use it her way (laptop on bed, for instance, lol) and it drives him a little crazy. I just want her to stop absentmindedly leaving things about. I try to direct her a little every day. Like "today make sure every piece of clothing is in the right place". (You would think that is a little thing, but you should have seen the piles/sorting that appeared!)

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:26 pm

This month I have an add in to sell the piano.
and thinking about donating some of my paintings h. was having a fit about that!
LOL! {But I can always paint some more.} At least the bigger ones are going to make room.
On the list is clean cupboards in Kitchen.
Clean small shop.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:39 pm

cheering on everyone in decluttering their life and homes.

thanks dharriet for the declutter reminders. I hope to stay on task :o)
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:31 pm

Get old dryer up the stairs and out of basement done!
Yea, I suggested that h. have the guys while they were here moving the piano do the dryer too. So his tool room looks so much better now!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:15 pm

At my ddad's there was a major declutter as I went ahead of dstepdil, who was cleaning behind me. His smaller bathroom was a huge victory for me, as I tackled some things I'd been putting off. I'm not sure how many tall kitchen garbage bags left the house because dstepson took them as we finished them, but I'm thinking 4. His kitchen was also greatly helped. The pay-off was in the "Wow"s spoken by dd31 and dsonil when they arrived and had such clear spaces welcoming them.

Cowinkie

Postby Cowinkie » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:12 pm

I have decluttered my closet, dresser and laundry closet. Now have 7 big bags for twill. Also weeded through my desk drawers and 2 banker boxes.

Oct break is in 1 week sweetie and I plan to work in the yard. I also have a few other house projects I want to do that week.
Live boldly, take risk, no regrets...Jillian Michaels

Return to “The Decluttered Home”