Spooky Spaces Transformation, October 2011

Share your decluttering activities and ideas.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Spooky Spaces Transformation, October 2011

Postby Nancy » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:21 pm

Carport is free of the piano cluttering it up yea for progress h. made on calling around getting that taken care of! H. also got several years of papers shredded up yesterday to go in the trash for next week so happy about that progress. It was in one box and he got most of that one done!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:30 pm

BookSaver, wow, you must have been tickled to find that dh did so much. A delivery of an appliance can really light a fire under us, but it sounds like he went above and beyond the call of duty and made progress.

Nancy, I know the piano having a place to go is a big success for you. That plus another box finished - great progress.

Harmony, that's great that dh can appreciate the village a little bit! I would not have known how to properly handle getting all that plywood prepared for storage - good job that it's clean and ready now.

Today HRH let slip a little truth to me that he normally wouldn't. My desk/paperwork, etc. has been a big push for me recently so he physically cleaned the interior of my PC for me with pressurized air and vacuum. Then he decided to sit down at the (clear) desk to do a back-up on all my files. I mentioned something about isn't it nice to have a clear surface and before he thought it through he blurted out that when it was cluttered with so many papers he avoided it because it made him crazy to have to sit at it. Yikes. That's awful to think your husband is avoiding a chair/space in his own home for MENTAL HEALTH reasons, but doesn't think he can do anything about it until you do. I wonder how many other spaces are getting to him!

Anyway, my desktop is clear. A small table is clear and all its drawers are organized. Various computer chores up to date. Medical files are sorted.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:21 pm

While the water heater installers were here ( :) ) I cleaned out 3 small kitchen drawers and a large one. Cleaned as in took everything out and scrubbed the drawers with antibacterial cleaning wipes.

Tossed a bunch of old first-aid supplies, pain relievers, and cold medicines into the trash bin. Junked a bunch of other "stuff." Recycled as much as possible, but almost everything was just plain garbage.

Transferred some old dish towels into the rag bag.

Put in new drawer liners and started restocking the drawers with fresh clean contents.

Also recycled a short stack of magazines that were on the counter.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:17 pm

H. said he is nearly done shredding our stuff all this time he kept saying it was farm stuff, I knew it wasn't but it all needed to be done. Now he can start on the farm stuff but he's
working tomorrow.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:23 pm

I consolidated all our papers and momentos from vacations (brochures, postcards, maps, luggage tags) into one shoebox. I placed it right behind a more attractive (solid brown, the same as the desk) shoebox and put them under the drawers of my desk to use that floor space well. I used "Super Sticky" square post-its to label on their sides only for neatness. There is room for at least one more shoebox behind them - I love finding a neat storage method that is not in the way and easily identified.

Does anyone else have smart uses for under-desk space? I have space under there my shoes couldn't hit if I tried! When the children were young, they found play space uses under desks!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:34 pm

Harriet I've tried to encourage h. not to keep stuff under the desk unless he rarely needs it as we can't get to it as easily as when we were younger.

Lilac

Postby Lilac » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:56 am

Dh asked me which of the 3 downstairs bedroom was going to be the junk room. I told him I wasn't having a junk room. He doesn't believe that but I am determined that if it doesn't fit in a closet, cabinet or drawer, I don't need it. Under the stairway is nicely finished with sheetrock, paint and carpet. I plan to put the Christmas tree box there and I'm hoping that most of the Christmas decorations, including way too many boxes of ornaments will fit too. I also want to put luggage and other bulky items there. There is a walkin storage closet and I want to continue to be able to walk in.

Christmas should be interesting this year. I hope that I can keep from getting stressed over it and just take everything a day at a time.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:08 am

Lilac I agree about the holidays being interesting this year.

We are continuing to work on the tool room aka hubby's storage, shredding and clearing out a few more things each month seems to be working for us.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:56 am

Deep cleaned 3 more kitchen drawers last night.

Put 6 sharp knives in the donation box to take to the place where my sewing group rents meeting rooms. They have a full kitchen for serving community meals, so they can always use knives. (Must remember to be nice and sharpen them before I take them!)

Decluttered a large stack of plastic lids for food storage containers that we no longer have.

Looks like next task will be to gather some of the "disposable" food storage containers that have started breeding in the cupboards. The community kitchen can use those, too. I have a meeting there Tuesday night so that gives me a deadline.

Also 2 small drawers left to clean out, but I need to buy another roll of drawer/shelf liner. Somehow it feels much more "clean finished" to put down fresh new liner.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:46 pm

3 Hours of work with DH in the shop yielded at least 25 sq. ft. of extra space. One more area cleaned out. We gave a bunch of roofing supplies to our roofer. I moved them all into my side of the garage and our roofer came by and picked up everything. YaHoo!!!!

Return to “The Decluttered Home”