Rake a Wide Path November, 2011

Share your decluttering activities and ideas.
Harriet

Re: Rake a Wide Path November, 2011

Postby Harriet » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:14 pm

Clutter failure - I can't find the Christmas storybooks. Don't know that I can sleep tonight until I do. What I should have done was to write down on a storage card that they were new contents in a certain box, and then I could go right to them, but I neglected it. Now the boys are here for the last time until their Christmas visit and I'll have to spend a bunch of time searching for the books I intended to read with them. This is certainly not my biggest problem, but I thought I'd post it just to say, yep, that's what happens when you're not vigilant.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:12 am

Harriet what has worked for me is I have a sewn up a Christmas green draw string bag for the 2 Christmas story books, I have a back up, and block of the creche' figurines in wood. For when you find them you might try this. I put them in the Christmas tote at the end of the holiday season. I got those out last weekend and it's been dgd's new fav. thing to do play with those stacking 'em up like blocks and have story time.

I too had failures; could not find the wooden wreath for the holidays, de-cluttered it and the heart shaped one as well plus the turkey platter went to d-son's.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:10 pm

I can't believe I've come in to tell another failure. While the houseguests were here Orphan Cat peed, more than once, onto/into the plastic bag for donation that I had been filling up in our bedroom. :( I knew I smelled something, and checking it out this morning realized what had happened. When cats believe their path to their litterbox is blocked, they will pee elsewhere. I don't know why this place/thing except that it was on the floor and there were textiles hanging over the edge of the plastic. In a way nothing that was valuable to us anymore, but a dress in there and other things worthwhile for used items. I pulled it out partially and thought about trying a rescue but no. Those things have crossed the line past "gently used" for sure now.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:20 am

Both the recycle bin and trash bin are totally stuffed and ready to go to the curb tonight.

Another box in the garage is half full of papers for recycling.

I now have those 3 big empty plastic bins to make decluttering go faster.

One thing I've been missing for a long time is a good empty horizontal space at the right height to make sorting easier. Yes, the bed will usually work, but it's too low for most jobs -- and always seems to have a cat sleeping sprawled in the middle when I most need it.

Yesterday I just gritted my teeth and kept working in 1 spot, chipping away until I found bare table. I chose this spot because many places in our old house do not have good lighting, but this particular spot almost always does.

It was hard-won victory, but I know it will be worth it. Now the fight will be to keep DH and myself from setting anything there "temporarily."

The goal will be to use this table space for sorting, and then immediately clear it again.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:02 pm

Working on de-cluttering leaves around here sort of a slow progress. Plus I returned some things from turkey dinner pots, spoon and such, dgkids items that were left behind it helped to get that box out of here. Coupons for dil are going next I have them bagged up and ready to go in the car.

Return to “The Decluttered Home”