January, 2012 Declutter Strategists

Share your decluttering activities and ideas.
Harriet

January, 2012 Declutter Strategists

Postby Harriet » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:31 am

Welcome to the strategy meeting!

An exciting new year is here so let's make our START with REAL INTENTION to love and improve our homes.

If you say, "I'd like to have less clutter.", frankly, nothing much may happen. :|

But say, "Here is my plan for decluttering within this time frame." and positive change is already on the way.

So in 2012, take the time FIRST to schedule, chart, plan, calendar, create a checklist, set up computer reminders, do SOMETHING that is really going to keep you on target as you work.

There are lots of STRATEGIES to use for controlling the clutter in our homes and keeping it under control.

We might count the clutter itself in some way, like by bag/box or by weight.

We might count our time, and make a checklist or calendar for the 15s or 30s that we intend to accomplish.

We could go room-by-room in rotation and give the time we have to different rooms by minutes, day or week.

We could work according to Goodwill or other donation drop-offs, or pick-ups by area trucks, and collect receipts as small goals.

Any plan can work with rewards, too - as simple as gold stars on cards/planner or as personalized as favorite treats.

And a great thing about a plan is that it can be changed to a new one if we decide we need new momentum!

What are you hoping to change in your home in 2012? How are you planning 2012's decluttering? Let us know your plans, get accountability. Tell us what changed in your lovely home in 2011, too - did you meet goals, do things look better, are you more organized?

Harriet

Re: January, 2012 Declutter Strategists

Postby Harriet » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:43 am

Handy-Dandy Reference :D for decluttering AHEAD of Focus Cleaning :idea:

this week - bedrooms
1/9/2012 - bathrooms
1/16/2012 - office/other room
1/23/2012 - closets
1/30/2012 - laundry

Tweak as desired to fit your lovely home!

Looking for Indiana's Focus Cleaning threads instead? HERE'S YOUR SLIDE! (calendar thread is at top of forum, look for 2012)

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:12 am

Can you tell I'm a little excited? I'm going to owe a SHEM!

Here's my print-out of declutter-ahead/focus-clean master page that will be pinned up at my desk! I tweaked to get some extra time in some areas that need it. :oops: Also, decorations storage is getting the Focus cleaning spot for me our first week. I'm thinking of checkmarks or
sTiCkErS :idea: for every 15 mins I spend so I'll HAVE to look squarely at how well I'm doing with my strategy!

First Round of 2012 Declutter and Cleaning Schedule
Our House

Week of.............. Declutter............... Focus Clean
December 26........... Master Closet.......... Dec Storage
January 2............ Master Bedroom....... Master Closet
January 9 .......... Master Bath............ Master Bedrm
January 16.......... Office................... Master Bath
January 23........... Master Closet.......... Office
January 30........... Upstairs................ Master Closet
February 6 .......... Other Closets.......... Upstairs
February 13.......... Master Bedroom ...... Other Closets
February 20.......... Kitchen................. Master Bedrm
February 27.......... Living Room........... Kitchen
March 6 .............. Dining Room........... Living Room
March 13............. Porch/Entry............ Dining Room

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:53 pm

Ambitious goals, Harriet!

What improved in 2011:
family room
laundry room
shop
garage
Living room closet beside my desk

What things need worked on in 2012:
kitchen cabinets & pantry
china closet
8" long entry closet
master bedroom closet (mine)
master bedroom closet (DH's)

The rest of the house stayed basically the same and is ok.

Lilac

Postby Lilac » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:09 am

I went over to the other house today and packed. I finally forced myself to drag the stuff that was under the stairway out. You enter it from the side opposed to the back like it is at most houses. I don't know how long it has been since I even messed with that stuff under there. It was really dusty. All this has made me realize just how much stuff I really have. As I was messing with it today, I came to the conclusion that I will probably just donate the things I want to get rid of rather than mess with a garage sale. Once I decide to get rid of something, I hate to have to look at it anymore while it sits waiting for a garage sale.

The one thing that I am adamant about is that I don't want a junk room. If I can't put something in a closet, cabinet or drawer and it isn't decorative and can sit out, then it needs to go. Today I found a really large tote and it has a lot of stuff to hang on the walls in it. I have also told myself that once I get things hung on the wall, that anything left, needs to go. Since I don't plan to move again, there is no sense hanging onto it for another house.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:04 am

That sounds really sensible Lilac.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:53 pm

I'm focusing on the living room and dining room for now the main part of the house upstairs and then the basement for de-clutter strategic areas h. & I were able to get the old TV out of the basement and in the trailer he said he will do gutters and haul off that load of leaves this week. :mrgreen: Yea!

Videos & DVD's are in the car trunk that I sorted while dusting after taking down the creche' yesterday. That felt SO good. I got a few things out of the China hutch also and now have room for puzzles and things we use.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:16 pm

Today I made some progress I found the other trash can when I was in the tool room and a bag of stuff h. shredded I took it up and got it out on the trailer to go in this load to the dump it was rather heavy and that room looks better now with out that huge bag sitting on the floor in there. Cleared off the items on the desk that we sorted out too good to toss but needed to be donated that sure felt great!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:11 pm

"strategic areas"

I like that, Nancy!

When I was thinking about what words to use in title for our thread, I thought about the declutter work we do being more than planning, almost battlefield strategy. Often it's not a straight line from point a to point b, but ideas for changing things, getting around obstacles, working the calendar or timer.

I glanced here in my earlier post at the copy of my master page and noticed I'd transposed the dates wrong so I corrected that.

I'm decluttering in our bedroom this week in preparation for focus cleaning there next week. It's easier because a lot has physically moved upstairs, but it's certainly no picnic yet.

bittersweet

Postby bittersweet » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:44 am

This is going to be a thread I'm going to make good use of this year! My house has been in need of some serious decluttering for a long time, and this year, it will get it! I don't expect that it will be completely done by the end of the year, but I want to be able to go downstairs and know where things are - have them neatly stored and labeled and organized.

Do you mind if I borrow your declutter/focus cleaning list, Harriet? I'll need to tweak it a bit for my house, but it will be a good reminder of where I'm supposed to be working!

Harmony? Please tell me your entry closet is 8 feet long...not 8 inches as you typed! LOL Somehow, I don't think you could fit much of anything in an 8" closet! :P
"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day of the year." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Return to “The Decluttered Home”