May, 2012 Declutter Strategy Room

Share your decluttering activities and ideas.
Harriet

May, 2012 Declutter Strategy Room

Postby Harriet » Tue May 01, 2012 9:12 am

Let's gather in the Strategy Room and map out plans for daily assault on clutter!

It seems every effort that you hear about these days on television requires a "Situation Room" a "Strategy Room" or a "War Room"! :shock: Locally, in a story about a fund-raising effort being planned for autumn, a writer quoted the volunteers as saying they met in their "War Room" for strategy on how to raise even more money than last year! These are folks considering bake sales and car washes, but hey, they have a "Situation" and they need a "Strategy"!

Well, homemakers do, too! Clutter is ever-changing. Even as we speak, clutter encroaches on our lovely homes! Yikes!

If you came into a Strategy Room and everyone was as serious about clutter as you need to be 8-) , WHAT would you hope to learn? How would you advise?

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: May, 2012 Declutter Strategy Room

Postby Nancy » Tue May 01, 2012 10:43 am

Hubby has the shredding current for both the farm and our personal papers yea! H. worked on it each week on Mon. the day before Trash day this winter that strategy seemed to work well for him! :mrgreen: Love having success to report!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed May 02, 2012 6:09 pm

I've been thinking some new strategy for the basement and the empty boxes h. has kept are now
stacked more neatly clearing off the surface in the tool room and got a bit more of that area cleared dusted and organized during TV commercials.

Then went in to the sewing craft zone and did a bit in there as well.

Got the toy cubbies moved dgd helped me to pick up and gather toys in to the toy zone it's still a work in progress as we figure out the best spot for this to be! Books need to be rounded up next.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat May 05, 2012 5:27 pm

Strategy on boxes means at least you do have things boxed, Nancy!! Toys and books are some of the hardest things. With books, saving one could mean a happy time with a child later on over-and-over reading, or could mean a complete waste of space. You just never know which book will strike a little one's fancy.

I told dd13 that with my back acting up a bit, the weekend strategy is for her to pick things up from the floor for me to sort at higher levels!

There is a little sadness today with the declutter of HRH's bass boat. He cannot enjoy trips out onto the water like he used to, and we have probably kept it too long. He sold it and its trailer today to dstepson's first cousin on the other side of his family and made him a good deal. This is a young fellow, and will get many years of enjoyment, could probably not have afforded a boat except for HRH's willingness to take part cash, part trade. HRH had a good relationship with this young man's mother (sister of HRH's ex) throughout all the drama/divorce years ago, and remembers his grandfather fondly, so this makes it easier on HRH to kind of "know" who will have the boat. It makes dstepson happy that there is some interaction between the two sides of his family, and some good memories brought up in conversation.

Now we have some extra space under the lean-to behind the barn and things won't be so crowded. HRH can move around under there and neaten up.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat May 05, 2012 10:25 pm

I got some of the books down stairs they had all been brought upstairs except for like four so I have that done. I finished reading one book and donated it to the library today no need to keep it around.

I bagged up weeds I pulled today and h. dumped kitchen trash and it's out ready for trash day yea!

The boxes that we have are boot boxes that had paper work in that h. likes to keep around it's a great size for paperwork he said.

Box of cans of spray paint are now out in the shop.

So I've made some progress.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed May 16, 2012 10:14 pm

The storage barn has been organized. Looks good, things can be found.

I had 2 extra trash bags today because of declutter.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed May 16, 2012 11:33 pm

Glad I kept some of the boxes around now they have seeds in them for the next trash day!

Tomorrow we will bring the coffee table back into the living room getting it out of the shed
the shed is much more usable now with the patio furniture out of it!

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Thu May 17, 2012 10:08 am

Sherinjoy had mentioned a while back in PWYC "Don't break the chain". I had been using that for decluttering every day for probably about 4 weeks. Then it seems chaos rained down and the chain was broken. Now that I'm home, there are plenty of areas in need of decluttering, organization, restructuring. So I'm starting my 30-minute decluttering (and DBTC) each day.

For the next few days it will be somewhat unpacking some areas and putting away, then I'll get down to the nitty/gritty of re-organizing. At least we can move around here now and some things have been re-organized -like our closets. DH had everything in MY closet and I've pretty well sorted them out.

First up will be to spend 1/2 hour emptying out dh's toiletry bag that I brought home filled with ointments, medications, etc, etc. It will probably take me that whole 30 minutes to do that. If I get another spot done today -all the better.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu May 17, 2012 10:28 am

Nancy, you and I are both finding some space in outdoor storage. It's a good thing to have!

Hi, Dee! Great work toward long-chain success. :D

We've mentioned sherinjoy's success with her Don't Break the Chain calendars several times, but haven't really linked (pun intended, lol) to the original idea she quoted. Here is the original Brad Issacs tip, as given to him by Jerry Seinfeld, who is credited with the idea. So interesting to read both of their thoughts in this short piece.

Don't Break the Chain.

Adorable boy honestly explains his 1.5-month successes and changes with 3 Don't Break the Chain calendars. Found this on the way to other things and now MUST show to dd13, don't you think? Don't try to listen to the end unless you are as amazed at him as I was - however, it will be explained at the end how COOL you must be for listening. smile. Oh, to feel this much energy when looking at calendars.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Thu May 17, 2012 12:21 pm

Very Skippable Rant:
Made DPC to cable company and got absolutely NOWHERE! Still ended up owing them nearly $300 for NOTHING!! No cable coming in. They're telling me I asked for it to be turned back on March 31st. WRONG! Wouldn't have asked and it would have been automatic the end of April. There! Do I feel better? Not much :| Saying dh should have called and said he couldn't get cable -our assumption was that it hadn't been turned on yet. Oh well.....they will not have us as return customers. If I could figure a different way for internet I surely would!
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Return to “The Decluttered Home”