July 2012 Half-Year-Mark Declutter!

Share your decluttering activities and ideas.
Harriet

July 2012 Half-Year-Mark Declutter!

Postby Harriet » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:53 pm

Today is a milestone of 2012, as we begin the second half of the year!
Is it time to ~^~shake ~^~ things ~^~up ~^~ and try new ideas?

How is your PLAN working - would you enjoy a change?
Is there better CALENDARING that would help keep you focused?
Are their CONTAINERS (trash, storage) you'd like to use differently or replace?
Are you using RECORD KEEPING to your advantage or do you need a change?
Do you need to refocus on DONATION?

Come in and let us know how 2012 is going for your lovely home!

Harriet

Re: July 2012 Half-Year-Mark Declutter!

Postby Harriet » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:21 pm

I am amazed that we actually did get some declutter projects fully completed.

A corner of our master bedroom, at a double window, is set up with tv, upholstered chair and ottoman, and has space for me to do my workouts, even the floor ones. That's really remarkable.

If it's even possible, the lower floor of the storage barn is more organized, thanks in no small part to dstepson. You walk in there and actually can look around the space and see what's there, with wall-space used efficiently. Will wonders never cease! (I have almost no idea what the upstairs looks like - steps seem rickety to me! Harmony are you hearing this?)

Slowly, I've realized that the front bathroom no longer belongs to anyone except my ddad. Even guests will have a hard time accessing it, since he needs an hour at a time in there for grooming, or thinks he does, several times a day. I've learned that I need to pretty much take everything and anything that might be needed more immediately by the family and put it somewhere else. This is a tall order, because it means effectively losing drawers, a medicine cabinet, and lower cabinets, except for things we almost never need to find. I'm working on it. Of course, the other logical place is our master bathroom, which can hardly give up much space. So, reluctantly, that is my ongoing project now.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:36 pm

WTG on realizing that change Harriet! Hopfully you will find other storage solutions.
I've been working on the yard de-cluttered half a can of weeds today yea for progress. Some empty jugs bottles etc. as well that did not make it to the kitchen trash until today as well so under the sink is looking mighty fine now.

ellyphant

Postby ellyphant » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:31 am

Need to set up a better place for recyclables. Will be thinking on this next week...

Threw out 4 bad onions! Stood on porch and pitched them as far into the woods as possible. Glad we won't return home to all that!
How you do your work is a portrait of yourself.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:07 pm

Found some rough lumber to de-clutter from a mill up the river they are making a turn of the century replica of the 1st state capitol blg. so I have to find out where to take it. So those will count for my de-cluttering progress.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:48 am

It's not much, but I decluttered a whole bunch of papers from the piano bench when it fell apart and I had to empty it. I found lots of papers and copied things at one point I kept because they were important...eons ago, probably some were 10 years old. So, an armful of magazines and a stack of papers shredded. Would have done that years ago, but I hardly ever open that bench and totally forgot they were there.

Sunday progress: I sat down and looked through a big stack of magazines I'd been putting aside till I had more time. 9 of those out in the recycling bin and I only kept 2 quilting ones. So that's another stack of stuff gone from the living room.

I cut up a big box I'm no longer using and that's ready to be taken away too.

I am in a throwing-away mood.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:03 pm

I love that organizing and throwing away mood you all are having!!!

I am still in my free garage sale phase. decluttering does drain me - I still don't understand why, I love tossing, it's the process of thinking of the stuff that is staying.

tossed a bag of stuff today. I also have more for my next free garage sale this week. I still have to keep my school stuff just in case for my classes. I am looking forward to letting go of those books.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:43 pm

today I am having another free garage sale - much stuff gone already. its hard to make decisions sometimes
recyeled all my construction paper (kids stuff)

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:41 am

this week I struggled alot with "I know someone can use it" syndrome. so trying to stay focused that everyone else also has too much stuff and why would they want my stuff. It's so hard but I did get rid of some things I have held onto for years as "its still so good" and found no one wanted it. It sounds silly but it hurt to throw it away.

ellyphant

Postby ellyphant » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:01 pm

Basement is filling up with recyclables, since I missed the once monthly drop-off day due to DS's wedding. DD brought me her recycling as her town doesn't recycle. She can't bear to throw out glass, plastic, etc...in the trash, so she brings it here. Needless to say, I am looking forward to getting all this out of here in August!

Hope to get some painting projects done soon. That would allow me to get rid of a few paint cans. We shall see...
How you do your work is a portrait of yourself.

Return to “The Decluttered Home”